Author Topic: Invincible raiders?  (Read 1081 times)

Adalla

• BSG9 & BSG Pilots Founder
    • View Profile
Invincible raiders?
« on: July 27, 2007, 09:31:55 PM »
I just played a Raider Gauntlet with 2 other BSG9 folk, and there was one instant, where I flew about 20 to 30 circles with a raider that did not move laterally (did not turn) and flew at constant speed, in a circle.

So, basically, I was ablet o get in a flight pattern where my sights would hover right around the raider and I pressed the fire button continously, and let out a stream of lead (or whatever they use for rounds in BSG).

And, I heard that rattling sound that I thought you got when your bullets made contact with your target. I'd get it every 2 to 3 seconds, for a few seconds, every revolution for about 20+ revolutions.

In other words, I poured at least 500 rounds into this Raider, and nothing happened.

I had a 250 ms lag to the host.

Now, there is something seriously wrong with this scenario.

Unless, that rattling sound, has in fact nothing to do with you making contact with your target.

Or maybe it's just impossible to play this game above 30 ms of lag.

Either way, that was not cool ;)

I think I heard someone say it only takes 8 rounds to kill a Raider....by the rattling sound effect and the sparks on the raider, I must have hit it with at least 500 rounds, as I said.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
9th Battlestar Group
1 Battlestar, 2 Squadrons, 42 pilots and counting...
BSG Pilots
The place to stop by for all BSG multi-player space simulation action.

VPR

• View Profile
    • http://www.vprnet.co.uk/
Invincible raiders?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 10:13:59 PM »
Just lag I think, your computer thinks your bullets are hitting the raider when it isn't on the server/host. If your ping's bad you'll have to lead further until you find the right place to fire at to compensate for the lag.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 02:33:49 PM by VPR »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Invincible raiders?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 10:28:50 PM »
Yep. VPR is bang about the cause. Your client thinks it's hitting the target so it does the effects but the Server knows damn well that you're missing it.

Herra Tohtori

• View Profile
Invincible raiders?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 01:29:35 AM »
I've found deflection shooting with long bursts to be the most effective way of actually scoring hits on enemies in conditions like that - just make sure you start spraying the enemy's path far enough and let it pass through the line of fire.

At some point there will be the ghosting spot, which you can hopefully found and then aim at with better success using shorter bursts.

Ghosting caused by net lag is actually much less of a problem compared to what packet loss causes IMHO. That really sucks because it causes things to yank back and forth in a totally unpredicatable manner...:squeeze:

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
Invincible raiders?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 04:00:20 AM »
Quote from: Adalla;77569
I just played a Raider Gauntlet with 2 other BSG9 folk, and there was one instant, where I flew about 20 to 30 circles with a raider that did not move laterally (did not turn) and flew at constant speed, in a circle.

So, basically, I was ablet o get in a flight pattern where my sights would hover right around the raider and I pressed the fire button continously, and let out a stream of lead (or whatever they use for rounds in BSG).

And, I heard that rattling sound that I thought you got when your bullets made contact with your target. I'd get it every 2 to 3 seconds, for a few seconds, every revolution for about 20+ revolutions.

In other words, I poured at least 500 rounds into this Raider, and nothing happened.

I had a 250 ms lag to the host.

Now, there is something seriously wrong with this scenario.

Unless, that rattling sound, has in fact nothing to do with you making contact with your target.

Or maybe it's just impossible to play this game above 30 ms of lag.

Either way, that was not cool ;)

I think I heard someone say it only takes 8 rounds to kill a Raider....by the rattling sound effect and the sparks on the raider, I must have hit it with at least 500 rounds, as I said.

Yep, unfortunately the only effective weapon at 100ms+ is missles, and that you dont get much of in btrl. This is one of the reasons people bombed a lot in FS2, because fighting required a good ping, and since everyone who played was scattered accross the globe, most games were 200ms or more.

Adalla

• BSG9 & BSG Pilots Founder
    • View Profile
Invincible raiders?
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 06:41:10 AM »
Yeah, the other folk who played faced invincible raiders too. I guess we all had a lot of lag to the host, and I guess shooting bullets is, as hunter said above, pointless above 100ms (or whatever latency will bring the ghost to the real target close enough).

I guess we just all have to play our neighbours all the time ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
9th Battlestar Group
1 Battlestar, 2 Squadrons, 42 pilots and counting...
BSG Pilots
The place to stop by for all BSG multi-player space simulation action.

castor

• View Profile
    • http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Invincible raiders?
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 11:54:30 AM »
They are almost two different games - the LOW ping and the HIGH ping.
Games with high but stable ping can be fun still, one just needs to tune the kill-expectation  downwards a little.. or a little more.. :D
Its the same for everyone, in the long run.
Cheers!