Author Topic: Steve Yun at Otakon 2007  (Read 21553 times)

RogueAngyl

• Spittin into the wind
    • View Profile
Steve Yun at Otakon 2007
« on: July 23, 2007, 02:45:52 AM »
At this weekend's annual takeover of the Baltimore Convention Center by anime fans, better known as Otakon, we were fortunate to have a viewing of "Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles" with Mr. Steve Yun himself.  For those of you who do not know who Steve Yun is (I sure didn't before Friday), he co-wrote RTSC, is the webmaster of Robotech.com, and was the producer of RT: Invasion, RT: Battlecry, and the most recent edition of RT: The Macross Saga.  Fortunately for Mr. Yun, he did not have to face any cream-pie attacks from disgruntled fans (see Anime-Expo), but he did take the time to field some questions.  

So here's the skinny on what's up and coming in the world of Macross and Robotech.  As of right now, there is no set number of movies to be produced in the Shadow Chronicles series, as they want to round it out and not make just a trilogy or quadrilogy (even though that is what they are banking on).  Harmony Gold hopes to get the licensing rights to Macross 0 and possibly Macross 7 for US distribution, but there is a legal fistfight going on regarding licensing rights in Japan at the moment regarding all yet-to-be-licensed-overseas Macross material.  We got no-comment answers on questions such as new veritechs and returning classic characters in future Shadow Chronicles movies (although he did hint at a Gamma fighter in the works and the return of Max Sterling).  Of course someone had to ask about the grudge between diehard Robotech fans and diehard Macross fans, no surprising remarks there, but he did go into the phenomenon of Robotech being fansubbed in Japan (?!?), and the possiblity of releasing Shadow Chronicles as Mospedia Plus (or something of the like) in Japan (how the tables have turned).  

So being that everyone is worried about the impending cease & desist letter hanging over BtRL, and being influenced by my own past (unpleaseant )dealing with licensers of plays and the such, I thought it a prime chance to get the official stance of Harmony Gold on RTM2 or similar projects.  Being that I didn't want to raise the ire of the HG people, I posed him the question whether or not any new RT games were being planned following the Shadow Chronicles release and how HG would react to a fan-made RT game.

Steve Yun: "To the first part of your question, no, nothing is being planned right now.  (With different companies) being taken over, we need to field a new production company to handle that.  In response to the second part of your question, Harmony Gold's official position is that as long as there is no donations or money being made off it, then we are fine leaving it alone.  There's a lot of great fan-made material out there."

Well there it is, from the horse's mouth so to say.  I don't know if anyone else has checked on this but my personal rule is to never assume anything you can confirm.

RA & Steve Yun at Otakon 07
Pretty pissed this didn't come out better.  Don't know if the guy taking the pic was shaking or what.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Steve Yun at Otakon 2007
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 07:06:35 PM »
I saw a link to the cream-pie attack... Too bad it got the guy banned from that convention hall, but then again after 9/11 it's a different world...

As of my previous posting I shall not be returning to the website due to my missing post and comments.

I'd say their chances of getting M0 or M7 are slim to none. I have been hoping someone (like Big West) would start the licensing debate up again and force HG to pull it out as it has been in the closet since the FASA case and the info was not available to the public of what exactly HG was allowed and what it was not in regards to anything MACROSS related, in addition to Super Dimensional Calvary Southern cross and Genesis Climber Mospedea...

On an unrelated front. I mentioned earlier I had just bought the C&C TFD DVD and wow, some cool retro gaming. I just found out that C&C Renegade can be modded, and with the ability to get in vehicles like Halo, a ROBOTECH mod is not far fetched. Imagine getting in various mecha for static combat, even enemy vehicles!

:)
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

RogueAngyl

• Spittin into the wind
    • View Profile
Steve Yun at Otakon 2007
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 08:34:34 PM »
I have to agree with your opinion about their chances of getting the M0 or M7 license, simply reporting on what Harmony gold hopes for.  Frankly, I wish no one would license M7 in the US, to me that's worse than trying to license the bible.  The thought of that show in English... augh, some gambles are too high stakes for me.  In fact, if it ever did get licensed, I would probably go out and buy a region-free dvd player and order a box-set direct from japan OUT OF SPITE!!!

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Steve Yun at Otakon 2007
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 02:51:23 PM »
If they do I wonder if they would cut the part out where the news reporter mentions that Ray was in the "Pink Pecker" squad?

I have Ray mention this casually to RT Minmay about his military experience in my fanfic... LOL!!! Ray looks at Minmay in puzzlement as she bursts into uncontrollable laughter, "What's so funny?"  :)

Some good news I got a hold of a 3k missile mech who's name escapes me but it looks like a spartan/radar X, but has two large round missile pods instead of the laser cannon arms... Our Destroid ranks are increasing. I posted a very low poly version in the screenshots with the group pic... This new one is much better textures also.
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
Steve Yun at Otakon 2007
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 04:27:11 PM »
Sweet, good for you guys :) I do hope Harmony Gold doesn't get the M0 or M7 liscences though - considering how they've dealt with the Macross license over the years, I don't think it'd be good for the show.
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

marjie

• View Profile
Steve Yun at Otakon 2007
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »
great show!