Author Topic: Been A while  (Read 2699 times)

saruman178

• View Profile
Been A while
« on: July 19, 2007, 06:05:08 PM »
Its been a while since i last posted namely because btrl couldnt run on my computer

anyways the reason for this is because ive been visiting family in france

my grandmother a fairly large sum of money ive decided to use 1000 dollars of it to either build or buy a new a co,puter

any help at finding parts or a computer is appreciated

takashi

• View Profile
Been A while
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 06:11:30 PM »
CompUSA or newegg are good places to start. i'd recomend a 2 gigahurzt single core proccessor and ati radeon 9550 so freespace/btrl will run smoothly, a decent motherboard with 8x AGP (i use Nvidia), any old internal HD, a 1024x768 flatscreen monitor, a dvdrw drive, a cd drive, an external HDD incase your C drive goes kaput,  a printer, a mouse, ect. and a scanner so you can show off concept art and other hand-drawn things.

either all that (900+ dollars), or a laptop (500+ dollars, cant revamp or upgrade dramaticaly as far as i know)

castor

• View Profile
    • http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Been A while
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 07:45:57 PM »
Quote from: takashi;77063
ati radeon 9550 so freespace/btrl will run smoothly

:wtf: You got a strange sense of humour, taka..
Cheers!

Antagonist

• View Profile
Been A while
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 08:15:46 PM »
All the components he listed are outdated even now...don't listen to him...

Go buy yourself a Core 2 Duo, I'd reccomend an E6600 ATM, since it has a rather low FSB and high multiplicator, so you probably will be able to squeeze out a lot more performance OC'd than it would have at stock settings,

an EVGA nForce 650i (A couple of people I know own it and have had no problems with it so far...),

DDR2-800 RAM, at least 2 GiB,

and last but not least, depending on the resolutions you want to play in, either a GF 8800GTS with either 320 or 640 MiB of VRAM. Anything above 1280 and you will probably want to buy the latter, anything above 1600, and you might even want to buy a GTX...

This setup shouldn't cost much more than 700-800USD, although I'm from Germany, so I have no idea what the prices in the US are like ATM ^^

I'd reccomend spending at least 70-100USD for your PSU, since every part of your rig will be connected to it, and if a low-grade product goes up in smoke because it couldn't handle the stress, it might very well take out half of your system...

takashi

• View Profile
Been A while
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 08:54:07 PM »
Quote from: castor;77070
:wtf: You got a strange sense of humour, taka..

what? i only bought it 3 months ago!

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
Been A while
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 11:55:54 PM »
You guys need to stop promoting those POS bugged intel core duos. My friend got one a week or two ago, and the first thing he did before even going on the internet or doing anything was install his high-graphic games. He tried to play counter-strike source, and it crashed constantly, giving him blue screens every 10 minutes. A week later he took it to this computer shop that repairs my computer when it is ROYALLY screwed over, and they found nothing wrong with it other then the fact he had a core duo. The same people customize computers for people, and they really discourage opting for that chip because of its serious problems.

If your going to get a multi-core processor, wait for AMD to release their quad-core, the prices on their dual core will go down a bit.

Josh_88

• Aerelon Viper Pilot
    • View Profile
Been A while
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 12:23:41 AM »
I've had zero problems with my dual core. built my computer new a couple months ago, haven't had a single crash and it plays everything i've thrown at it just fine
Cl1nt: I for one, welcome our Spork overlords

"Sometimes you gotta roll the hard six"

brs03

• View Profile
Been A while
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 12:48:24 AM »
Same here, my Core 2 Duo is serving me beautifully;Intel has matched or bettered AMD with their current processors, so if you can get one at a decent price you should go for it.

SamSneak

• Floating space debris
    • View Profile
Been A while
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 01:58:53 AM »
It's kind of sad but you really can't beat the ridiculous deals you get from a big OEM like Dell or Alienware.  I've never bought a name brand computer in my life and could probably put together at least 4 whole pcs from parts found within 15 feet of me.

They just sell so damn many of them that their prices are actually hard to beat if your buying the whole system plus you get the cheap 1 year parts warranty.  If your just upgrading then go with NewEgg but a building a whole  system piece by piece really isn't worth the effort unless its for fun.

Enki

• View Profile
Been A while
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 05:35:58 AM »
Quote from: SamSneak;77109
It's kind of sad but you really can't beat the ridiculous deals you get from a big OEM like Dell or Alienware.

Alienware IS Dell! :lol:

Dell bought them out a couple years ago.  AW's QA has always been a crap-shoot though.  From the day they opened shop.  Fast when you get one that works, but I've seen waaayyyy too many returns from our department.

[dw]-hunter

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamwars.org
Been A while
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 06:11:48 AM »
Your joking right? Alienware over prices their stuff by a shitload, because they know people will buy it because of their name. I made a really good PC at Alienware and one at Cyberpowerpc to compare the prices of their machines. But, heres a tip for you guys, Cyberpowerpc does NOT use mass produced - cheaply made parts for a mass number of people like alienware does. Cyberpowerpc buys the same parts you buy from newegg straight from the factory, so your not paying a fortune because they are buying them at the same price the wholesalers are. Heres the two computers I made :

Aurora™ ALX

Chassis: Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Saucer Silver
Chassis Customization : Alienware® Standard System Lighting - Astral Blue
High-Performance Liquid Cooling: Alienware® ALX High-Performance Graphics and Processor Liquid Cooling
Graphics Processor: Dual 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX - SLI Enabled - Liquid Cooled!
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6000+ Processor w/ HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
Memory: 2GB Low Latency DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 1024MB
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Tuners and Remotes: Without Media Center Remote Control or TV Tuner
System Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 320GB (2 x 160GB) Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 10,000 RPM w/ 2 x 16MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 20X Dual Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Burner
Physics Processing Unit: Ageia PhysX PCI-Express Processing Unit w/ 128MB GDDR3 - More Info
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer High Definition 7.1 Audio - More Info
Power Supply: Alienware® 1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Monitor: 30'' Dell 2560 x 1600 UltraSharp Widescreen Flat Panel - Supports Blu-Ray!
Speakers: Logitech® Z-5300e 5.1 280-Watt Speakers
Keyboard: Logitech® G15 Gaming Keyboard
Mouse : Logitech® G5 Laser Gaming Mouse
Exclusive ALX Extras: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - $100 Value - FREE!
Exclusive ALX Extras: AlienWiring - Exclusive Internal Wire Management - $100 Value - FREE!
Exclusive ALX Extras: Exclusive Alienware® ALX Items
Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware® ALX Mousepad
Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware® Mesh Cap
Warranty: 3-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service
AlienRespawn: AlienRespawn v2.0 Recovery DVD – Windows Vista Edition

Subtotal : $6,357.00 (and thats WITHOUT shipping or taxes)

Gamer Quad Ultra FX (originally priced at $2399 with the FX-74)

CPU: AMD Quad FX Platform FX-74 CPU [+2399]
CAS: ($20 off Mail-in Rebate) NZXT Zero Aluminum Full Tower 420W Case (Black/Silver Color)
CASUPGRADE: 12in COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT [+10] (BLUE COLOR)
CS_FAN: Extra Case Cooling Fan [+3] (1 x Fan)
CD: LiteOn LH-20A1H 20X Double Layer DVD+-RW Super Allwrite + Lightscribe Technology [+16] (Black Color)
CD2: LiteOn LH-20A1H 20X Double Layer DVD+-RW Super Allwrite + Lightscribe Technology [+40] (Black Color)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FREEBIE_CU1: FREE! CyberPower Multi-Purpose Carrying Briefcase ($19.99 Value)
FREEBIE_CU2: FREE! AGE OF EMPIRE III
FREEBIE_CU3: FREE! RISE OF NATIONS: RISE OF LEGENDS
FREEBIE_CU4: FREE! Cyberpower Unleash The Power T-Shirt with AMD Logo on the back ($19.99 Value)
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
GEAR: Logitech Precision PC Gaming Headset [+20]
HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
KEYBOARD: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard [+64]
MOUSE: ($17.50 off Mail-in Rebate) Logitech G7 Laser Cordless 2000dpi Mouse [+75]
MONITOR: ViewSonic VX2835WM 28" True 1080P with HDMI Wide Color TFT Active Matrix 1920x1200 LCD Display [+703]
MOTHERBOARD: (Socket F)Asus L1N64-SLI WS NVIDIA MCP55PXE Chipset 2000FSB DDR2/800 SATA RAID 4xPCI-E Slots with USB2.0,IEEE1394,GbLAN,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)1GB (2x512MB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader [+20])
MSGAME: MICROSOFT® FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2004 [+6]
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium (32-bit Edition)
PRINTER: HP LASERJET 2015 LASER PRINTER [+469]
PRINTER_CABLE: 6-FT USB A/B Printer Cable [+15]
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU [+19]
POWERSUPPLY: 1,100 Watts Power Supplies (**Recommended** Tagan TG1100-U95 TurboJet Quad Quiet SLI Ready)
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS 24/7 LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOFT1: Free 60 Days Microsoft® Office® 2007 (Words, Excel, Access, Power Point, Outlook + More) - Windows Vista™ Required
SOFT2: Microsoft® Works v8.5
SOUND: Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro 24-BIT PCI Sound Card [+135]
SPEAKERS: (BLACK) Creative Labs GigaWorks G500 5.1 Subwoofer Speakers System [+157]
TEMP: SILVERSTONE EUDEMON SST-FP52 LCD DISPLAY FRONT PANEL [+49] (BLACK COLOR)
TVRC: Media Center Remote Control [+35]
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
VIDEO: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO2: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express [+585] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]

Subtotal : $4839 ($5311.22 w/ california tax and fedex ground shipping)

If you notice, Cyberpower has the new Quad FX Platform FX-74 CPU, the newest chip on the fucking market, alienware is giving you an outdated chip that was put on the market almost a year ago. Cyberpower offers a ton more free and six-dollar discounted products that I didnt even include, I also didn't add the unnessessary addons to the alienware, like neon and other flashy things like I did to the cyber power that add another $1000+ to the alienware. Also, cyberpower automaticly offers a 3 year warrenty, standard, while with alienware, you have to pay even for a 1 year warrenty. So, do you really think alienware is giving you a bargain? Or a fucking royal ripoff?

Another thing about Alienware, my friend ordered a $5000 Alienware, and they didn't even put the liquid cooling systems in that he ordered, instead, he got this giant block of aluminum glued to his chip with a really really loud case fan on the back of computer, and they didnt even do anything with the video card cooling, its stock.

I also did a bit of research comparing the new FX-74 vs the Core 2 Extreme X6800, and the AMD chip was only SLIGHTY slower, but, the Intel chip costs a shitload more. So in reality, the Intel really isnt worth the extra $300-400.

So for those of you now convinced to get a Cyberpowerpc, heres the link :
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 06:43:57 AM by [dw]-hunter »

saruman178

• View Profile
Been A while
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 09:05:44 AM »
I was thinking

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3241082&sku=I69-2148%2520A

That way all i need to buy is another gig of ram, a video card, cooling, and an OS.

any thoughts?

DarkWrath

• Harbringer of Doom
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thexuniverse.com
Been A while
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 02:30:15 PM »
I agree with Kara. A friend of mine had his E6300 burned 4 times this summer because it can't shut down the power at overheat...
X-Tended Team Member

ArrTee

• Mr. STFU
    • View Profile
Been A while
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 04:59:05 PM »
I worked for Alienware for a few years.. and I would advise NOT buying one.

As one of the managers for the customer service/critical issues dept. and thier game development programs; I have seen and heard it all when it came down to the bare facts about AW's machines. I have had to personally oversee builds of machines to ensure that the fuk'up's in manufacturing got it right. I lost count on how many times I've had to authorize freebies and upgrades to customers just to keep them happy.. and about 40% of the machines left our docks with some defect or another (are you willing to chance that with the money you'd spend?).

Working with the CEO and President of AW made the difference, but sadly, that's what it took to make sure they (the techs) weren't slacking. You're better off building your own machine, not paying through the nose for something you can have for less than half what they charge.

Three words:

Asus

AMD

Nvidia

A wonderful trio IMHO, it works for me since I am an artist and do some really detail intensive work. Intel has a good product also, but it really boils down to your personal prefs...I would go with either product and know it will work to my expectations because I built it myself. Take this as you will my brothers, but I wouldn't give AW a dime of my hard earned based on what I've experienced with the company. :D
I believe that forgiving the enemy is God\'s function. My job is simply to arrange the meeting.

ArrTee

• Mr. STFU
    • View Profile
Been A while
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 05:04:34 PM »
"Fast when you get one that works, but I've seen waaayyyy too many returns from our department."

Enki: What department did you work for at AW? Was it here in Miami, or overseas? Lemme know!
I believe that forgiving the enemy is God\'s function. My job is simply to arrange the meeting.