Author Topic: Connecting in BTRL...  (Read 2496 times)

BSG9_MasterChief

• The Master Of Pies
    • View Profile
Connecting in BTRL...
« on: July 04, 2007, 09:54:55 PM »
I have everything set up right but never see anyone online!  Is it me or is it just too hard for other people too connect to the server?  Oh and have they released a patch or something that I didnt know about?  (was gone for a month in AT training for the army so dont burn me too bad :P   )

Chief
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adalla

• BSG9 & BSG Pilots Founder
    • View Profile
Connecting in BTRL...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 03:56:39 AM »
Sometimes BtRL MP acts funny. There have been times when we can't see the servers of others.

Make sure you put in your PXO information in the MP options, it helps to see PXO servers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
9th Battlestar Group
1 Battlestar, 2 Squadrons, 42 pilots and counting...
BSG Pilots
The place to stop by for all BSG multi-player space simulation action.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Connecting in BTRL...
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 07:17:34 AM »
I've been trying to figure out what could cause that. Do you find that it can never find the server belonging to certain players or is it that on some days it can find them and on others it can't?

BSG9_HunterB

• Eclipse C-flt BSG9
    • View Profile
Connecting in BTRL...
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 09:15:50 PM »
I have had a similar problem to MC.

Some days I connect and there are no games about what so ever and no people about either.

Am I just being unlucky??

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Connecting in BTRL...
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 10:29:06 PM »
Next time you find no one online take a look in your Data folder at your multi.log (open it in notepad).

If you're seeing this a lot
Network (FS2OpenPXO): Attempting to send_server_query()'s

but no IP address of servers appearing between those lines it means that there is no one actually playing. If you are seeing an IP address reported that means that FS2NetD knows about a server but you can't see it.

The big problem is that I've got no idea why some people can see servers and other people can't. My gut feeling is that the problem is simply due to misconfigured firewalls rather than any actual engine problem. The problem is basically that I can never get enough people together who know enough to help me figure out if that is true.

BSG9_MasterChief

• The Master Of Pies
    • View Profile
Connecting in BTRL...
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 10:54:01 AM »
The thing is though most firewalls let you know that a program is trying to connect to the internet.  Ive never had much firewall issues.  I think some kind of patch or fix is needed as hardly anyone can find anyone... I think something is wrong connecting wise with the program.  Ive tried everything and still I never find anything.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Connecting in BTRL...
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 06:42:51 PM »
I think I'm going to have to do a big connection day and try to get as many people online at once as possible so that we can see if the issue is just firewalls or if there is a real code problem involved.

So far I haven't found anyone who wasn't actually having a firewall problem.

I'd really need to find someone who can show me that packets are arriving on their PC from the other computer before I'd believe that the problem actually lies in the FS2_Open code.

Adalla

• BSG9 & BSG Pilots Founder
    • View Profile
Connecting in BTRL...
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 08:46:51 PM »
heya Kara,

well, to answer your question,

Do you find that it can never find the server belonging to certain players or is it that on some days it can find them and on others it can't?

It's not a problem with any particular players. With the same player, it will work sometimes, and it will not work other times. And this has happened multiple times with more than a few BSG9 members.

The biggest case having occurred during the Fans vs Devs event. We had about 6 or 7 BSG9 pilots in IRC, and virtually every single one tried to host, and each time, either no one would be able to see the server, or 1 or 2 would be able to see it out of the 7 people.

Then another person would host, and 2 people who were not able to see the other host, could see the new host, and the 1 who could see the former host could not see the new one, where as yet another person could see both hosts.

There was no clear pattern to why this occured. We double checked PXO's, I believe everyone had the info in their profiles. We tried hosting with and without PXO.

It might have something to do with firewalls, but it could very well be the game itself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
9th Battlestar Group
1 Battlestar, 2 Squadrons, 42 pilots and counting...
BSG Pilots
The place to stop by for all BSG multi-player space simulation action.