Author Topic: Final BSG model WIP  (Read 62821 times)

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2007, 04:28:28 AM »
Quote from: The Legacy;77086
I love it Omniscaper! I DO have one concern though; your poly count is insane, and so are the number of turrets. Sure, it's really nice and detailed, and will look formidable when it jumps in.

I mean, it's bloody beautiful. And I would love to see it in its full glory. But don't forget about the practicalities; by making it so super detailed, you may be limiting the scope of the campaign; you won't be able to have the fleet all on screen at once,

http://stage6.divx.com/user/Omniscaper/video/1435140/BTRL-Benchmark-video-2

Thats 2 Basestars, 24 fighters duking it out, and an unonptimized BSG model shoved into the game at 1024x768 and 2x AA. As dev continues on the BSG the performance will only increase. Not all 95k polys get rendered at once. Many detail areas will only appear when within a certain distance. When LOD's are in place there will be 3 more models of BSG progressively lower polygon count, from 95k - 500 polys.

Practicality of the models I make are kept in mind at all times during its dev.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 04:33:28 AM by Omniscaper »

Alpha 1

• I am Colossus
    • View Profile
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2007, 04:45:37 AM »
This is nice!!!!!:yes: :nod:  So is there like going to be a second demo release?Or is there going to be a patch on the Demo That adds more Pretty ships?:)

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2007, 04:48:22 AM »
The BSG is far from finished. Still needs all the stuff imentioned above + more game optimizing for its textures and mesh parts.

atars5

• View Profile
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2007, 06:34:34 AM »
Hi all....

This is my first post here. I love that demo and some of the stuff going on here, but that demo rocks. This is what I rendered the other night....hope you like it.

Cheers

Wolfy

• View Profile
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #154 on: July 20, 2007, 07:10:18 AM »
hm, cant wait till its properly optomised. Is it me, or where some of the main turrets fireing the anti ship projectiles where other main turrets where firing anti-fighter? not that i eally mind that much, but i dont think ive ever noticed that in the show, normally all the top turret fire in the same kind of way, though there is no foreseeable reason why they couldnt i guess

Cant wait to see a Battle Of NewCaprica with an optomised Galactica, Pegasus and 4 basestars, wander howw THAT would effect your preformance? :P
Wolfy is bored
Wolfy is tired
Wolfy will bite you

Shade

• View Profile
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2007, 07:32:26 AM »
What they're shooting is just whatever they were set up to shoot. FRED gives mission designers the tools (the turret-change-weapon SEXP, specifically) to switch turret weapons on the fly regardless of what the ship is designed to carry by the modmaker, so you could have them going from anti-fighter to anti-capship mid mission if needed.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki\'s FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums / ModDB

Snagger

• View Profile
    • http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2007, 07:41:55 AM »
Stunning work.  I assume you'll be adding the stbd pod windows.  One small niggle - I think you may have gone just a little to far with the rusting on the front end;  she's old and a little dirty, but not rusty!:)
something I do understand;)  : http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk

ispeedonthe405

• Duke of Earl
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ispeedonthe405.com
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2007, 11:49:09 AM »
Quote from: Omniscaper;77113

Thats 2 Basestars, 24 fighters duking it out, and an unonptimized BSG model shoved into the game at 1024x768 and 2x AA.

I don't know how else to say it: that is ******* awesome. It really captures the feel of capital ship combat as depicted in the show.

The Legacy

• Attaaaaaaaaaackackack!!!
    • View Profile
    • http://totalwar.moddb.com
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2007, 12:41:45 AM »
Quote from: Omniscaper;77113

Thats 2 Basestars, 24 fighters duking it out, and an unonptimized BSG model shoved into the game at 1024x768 and 2x AA. As dev continues on the BSG the performance will only increase. Not all 95k polys get rendered at once. Many detail areas will only appear when within a certain distance. When LOD's are in place there will be 3 more models of BSG progressively lower polygon count, from 95k - 500 polys.

Practicality of the models I make are kept in mind at all times during its dev.

I stand corrected. Unless you're running a mainframe, I think that you do have a valid point. Mind you, rendering the entire Fleet will be hard. We'll have to see once all those models are finished. ;)

By the way, as impressive as that flak screen is, I must say that it's STILL not quite as intense as it is on the show. (I remember the first season episode where the Viper pilots come across the Heavy Raider for the first time; one pilot flew into the Galactica's firing solution, and it was...NUTS!) Is this the pre-250 gun ship? And if not, maybe increasing the ROF a tad. But otherwise, fraking impressive, to put it into BSG terms. I wouldn't EVER want to fly into THAT field of fire. :shaking:

Quote from: karajorma;77094
Well in that case it means that we've found a way to stop people building stupid Endorian missions without me having to editorialise about it for 30 minutes first. :p

LOL :p

Remember, I'm not thinking of an Endorian mission here, I just remember specifically there being thirty or so large ships in the BSG Fleet, not counting fighters. As well, the Basestars also have an insane number of fighters on board.

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2007, 12:57:47 AM »
Can you name a SPACE FLIGHT SIM thats successfully made such a battlefield playable? 30 capships!? C'mon, unless you have quad core computer with 2 SLI'ed graphics cards, such a set up is still unpractical and is straight up bad game design.

Even if the technologies support it wihtout breaking a sweat, such a battlefield would ultimately only serve as a backdrop for a fighter based game. BTRL is not an RTS, the Homeworld BSG mod Fleet Commander is probably the game you are looking for.

Even Gamecube's Rogue Squadron was very conservative on its treatment of the Endor battle by reducing the Imperial fleet to a 2d picture backdrop to the battle. The most 3d capships in the arena was 2 Mon Calimaris with 4 support ships (corvettes and frigates), yet it still captured the frantic nature of the battle.

BTRL is fighter sim/shooter, not a capship simulator (like Bridge Commander), not an RTS, and not a CGI animation. The assets will be made to suit our storyline and mission design needs, not the masses' desire to create an all duke out fest which will only result in an over heating graphics card and 2 fps slideshow.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 01:16:52 AM by Omniscaper »

The Legacy

• Attaaaaaaaaaackackack!!!
    • View Profile
    • http://totalwar.moddb.com
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2007, 01:14:52 AM »
True enough. What about the ROF though?

foxdie

• View Profile
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2007, 01:18:25 AM »
Could you not create Basestars/Battlestars in the same manner you create planets?

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2007, 01:25:40 AM »
Weapons balancing will be established to suit mission needs and scripted story. Balancing for multiplayer will be kept in mind of course. The video was a quick balancing job for me just to get the look of the video to echo the show's battles. Bsg canon, game design, and technological limits are the elements that all must be kept in account and balanced.

As for the look of the flak screen and other effects, we are open to artists adnd coders who want to help make BTRL look prettier and function more like the show.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2007, 07:31:16 AM »
Quote from: foxdie;77183
Could you not create Basestars/Battlestars in the same manner you create planets?

As backdrops? Yes we can but the problem is that they have to be static or they gobble up massive amounts of video memory. That said a few explosion-effect SEXPs might make distant ships look like they're fighting. :D

Antagonist

• View Profile
Final BSG model WIP
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2007, 08:13:57 AM »
Whoa! That vid is awesome!

BTW Omni: Could you tell us what the system's specs were when you made that vid?