Author Topic: Battleships Forever  (Read 16156 times)

six6six

• Moving Target
    • View Profile
Battleships Forever
« on: June 23, 2007, 09:46:07 PM »
http://www.wyrdysm.com/games.php

For those of you interested in capital ship combat, i suggest you look to this game. While it is 2d, it is an awesome game and it is all i have been playing in the past few weeks. It has a ship editor and the ability to import ships (unlike when i started playing) and is updated regularly. The only thing i have against it is the lack of fighters, while it has drones, they are somewhat lacking, when compared to nBSG Vipers and Raiders.

I have made some nBSG ships and they can be found here:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforever/shipdatabase/uploads/
and it is in the rar nBSG final.
it has a Galactica type battlestar, along with a Mercury class, and a Basestar.

EDIT: How do you guys think it should be balanced, i have it so that the Mercury can take 2 on and win and occasionally 3, the Galactica can take on 1, possibly 2 depending on situation.

EDIT 2:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 10:43:10 PM by six6six »
Scar, the Pontious Pilot of bsg. You may be godly, but he\'ll still crucify you.

takashi

• View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 09:54:49 PM »
very cool!

now all we need are better fighters that swarm BSG style!

ps: how do you make ships for this game?

six6six

• Moving Target
    • View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 10:01:20 PM »
There is a separate ship maker which you can download from the site. It takes some time to use and there are a fairly limited number of pieces, but given the right state of mind, you can do anything pretty much.
Scar, the Pontious Pilot of bsg. You may be godly, but he\'ll still crucify you.

Respenus

• The one who is many!
    • View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 10:29:29 PM »
Very very nice. Playing right now. Thanks for showing us this nice little marvel to pass the time between missions :biggrin1:

takashi

• View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 12:31:16 AM »
i propose a fs2 mod for BSF.

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 06:31:32 AM »
Vector graphics will never get old!

th15

• View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 04:15:46 PM »
Hello guys, I'm the guy who made Battleships Forever, glad that you peeps like the game. I'm posting here to inform you that there's a new version of the game available.

Get it here: http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/1425

This release is special. It's a full package distribution that includes the Ship Maker and background music, all in one zip. This release is mainly for entry into the Indie Games Showcase, so support BF by voting for it here. Only a couple of days of voting left, so hurry!

There are a LOT of fixes in this version, I spent a lot of time over the past few days polishing everything off just right. Raid mode now has it's own Online Highscore table, and it's gameplay has been changed to encourage the use of fast-moving raiding craft. The bug in the Titan mission was also fixed.

This combined release also means that ship maker works a little better when it comes to quicklaunching a custom ship into the Sandbox.

Well, what more can I say, the end is in sight people, BF will definitely be complete before the end of year.

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 05:36:01 PM »
Cool Beans
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Admiral Zaarin

• View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 08:17:11 PM »
This looks like cool game. I need to test it out right away. :yes:

Fadeaway

• Cylon frag-bait.
    • View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 06:28:20 PM »
Brilliant design on the Galactica, especially how destruction of portions such as the hangar pods and engines causes it to explode: especially as the resulting debris flies everywhere and happens to be large enough to take down most nearby ships.

Slamscape

• callsign: Slamscape
    • View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 08:11:13 PM »
Weird I was able to take on 2 basestars no problem with the galactica. I just kept my flank toward the baseships so the flak fire could take down projectiles. Then once they started to split I turned my main guns on the closest basestar and tore it a new one and then finished the other one off.

th15

• View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 12:59:40 AM »
Yeap, that's how important positioning is. When your enemy is attacking from only one vector, your interception becomes much more effective as even stray interceptor shots will hit something. If he's attacking from two vectors then not only do you lose this advantage, but your point defences have to waste time traversing left and right when they could be firing.

The Battlestars and Basestars were designed so that a Battlestar could take 2 Basestars if they were together. But if they flanked the Battlestar then its game over.

th15

• View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 05:16:44 PM »
I think all the nBSGers here will appreciate one of the changes in the new version of the game. The Point Masers now work like Flak cannons and look almost exactly like the flak wall that the Battlestars in the show throw up. Look at the screenshot below and then try the Battlestars in the new version and you'll see what I mean.

Battleships Forever v0.70 Released!
Get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/games.php
(includes ShipMaker v1.9)

This is a major version change so expect changes-a-plenty. The changes featured in this version should really shake things up. Among them:

Point Masers now explode into a cloud of flak which destroys all nearby bullets. This makes Point Masers more effective against large torrents of enemy fire. Their effectiveness drops dramatically when flanked, however.

Enyo completely redesigned. It now features the shiny new Teller Torpedo launcher. The Teller Torpedo is a guided missile that follows a path that you define. At the end of this path, it opens up and fires a deadly beam!

New Point Maser effect and Teller Torpedoes in action

The game is now distributed as an installer. This allows the game to be setup properly to associate ship file types with the game. This means that you'll be able to double click on a ship blueprint and have it load directly into the game or ship maker! The installer is also compressed more so the file is actually smaller. You are strongly advised to download the game from the primary download link (yoyogames.com) as the installer provides better overall functionality for the game.

Hestia Alpha was completely redone. It now sports 4 Blasters supported by 2 Boosters and extra ablative plating on the nose.

Completely redid the Grinder waves. There's even a new alien ship specifically designed for the Grinder. Grinder now sports a total of 20 waves.

New Hestia Alpha and Alien Heavy Frigate

There's a bunch of new weapons such as the Tachyon Driver (a hybrid interceptor-offensive weapon), Impeder (defensive module that slows down incoming bullets) and tweaks to existing guns.

Alien ships with Impeders

On top of that, there's your usual box of bug fixes and glitch fixing to make the game better and better and better!

On that note though, be aware that every tenth version is a major version that revises a lot of code and includes a lot of untested code too. This means that it isn't as polished as a 0.#9 version will be. Over the course of the next version, the changes in this version will be fine tuned and adjusted for maximum gameplay experience.

Note to players with previous versions
If you want to retain your save data you should install the game to the same folder that Battleships Forever was in. Alternatively, you could install the game as per normal and copy over the bfconfig.ini and bfdat.sav files to the new folder.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 05:20:43 PM by th15 »

Slamscape

• callsign: Slamscape
    • View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 07:56:42 PM »
Awesome work th15.

Alpha 1

• I am Colossus
    • View Profile
Battleships Forever
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 12:21:32 AM »