Author Topic: Some joystick tips...  (Read 4177 times)

BSG9_MasterChief

• The Master Of Pies
    • View Profile
Some joystick tips...
« on: May 25, 2007, 02:51:28 AM »
I found that with sensitivity on max it made my joystick alot more acurate with the dead zone on nothing.  Im using a Force Feedback 2 so its already got electronic magnets centering it so it doesnt need a large deadzone...  With a small dead zone in the game settings it hindered my performance greatly and I couldnt hit crap....  

Chief
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

takashi

• View Profile
Some joystick tips...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 02:56:45 AM »
i have sensitivity and deadz0one set to 0. i have a logitech attack 3.

BSG9_MasterChief

• The Master Of Pies
    • View Profile
Some joystick tips...
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 03:12:09 AM »
You know... Microsoft always made good joysticks.  (one of the few things that never had problems... well that i know of)  Ive had like 5 sidewiders each newer than the previous one and Ive love them all.  They were built better...  Logitech does a good job too.. but no force feedback.  Heck its hard to find any joystick any more with good FF..... Hope my FF2 lasts forever.  Does anyone use the directional thrusters for up down and strafing?  Ive thought about setting my hat for those controls.... dont think it would work too well.

Chief
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adalla

• BSG9 & BSG Pilots Founder
    • View Profile
Some joystick tips...
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 03:48:43 AM »
I have an old Sidewinder JS, I'll see if I can even set dead zones...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
9th Battlestar Group
1 Battlestar, 2 Squadrons, 42 pilots and counting...
BSG Pilots
The place to stop by for all BSG multi-player space simulation action.

Lt Steve "Skinny" Talbert

• BRAVO ,Eclipse,9th
    • View Profile
Some joystick tips...
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 04:54:02 AM »
Masterchief,

I have the directional thrusters set up on one of the hats of my Saitek X45.  It works amazing in a MK II....I don't know if it's b/c the II is slower than the VII or what, but I've gotten good guns kills in a head on pass by sliding up, down, left, or right while keeping them centered in the reticule.  It won't work as well against someone who's balls-on with their aiming, but it does work.

~Scoob
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jayge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Some joystick tips...
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 02:49:52 PM »
I agree. I have the hat set to thrusters, but they aren't nearly as effective in a Mk VII.

Callsign: BSG9_Seraph
Squadron Leader, Chimaera Squadron

TwigMortal

• The CAG!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.majesticsites.net/BSG9/
Some joystick tips...
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 03:28:51 PM »
Not tired playing with the thrusters yet, but I too set the deadzone to zero, I stick sensitivity to about halfway, if it's up too high it wiggles too much on target when trying to keep her straight. I guess it might be better in a FF stick due to the magnets keeping everything a little 'stiffer' in game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BSG9 Battlestar Hyperion CAG

BSG9

BSG9_HunterB

• Eclipse C-flt BSG9
    • View Profile
Some joystick tips...
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 03:29:35 PM »
I am currently using a Saitek290 pro.   It is a alright stick, not giving me any major issues, so far.

I have played with the deadzone and sensitivity but cant find a happy medium, if sensitivity is too high I cant keep a good line, one twitch and I'm all over the place!!

I do use my hat for thrusters though, it just adds a little something to it, kinda puts all the maneuvering controls in one place.

Spike12

• Chimaera sqn. Flight Goat
    • View Profile
Some joystick tips...
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 12:01:58 AM »
Quote from: BSG9_HunterB;73571
I am currently using a Saitek290 pro.   It is a alright stick, not giving me any major issues, so far.

I have played with the deadzone and sensitivity but cant find a happy medium, if sensitivity is too high I cant keep a good line, one twitch and I'm all over the place!!

I do use my hat for thrusters though, it just adds a little something to it, kinda puts all the maneuvering controls in one place.

I've got the same stick, and haven't really toyed around with the settings. It's worked for me though, just a little clumsy. Being able to barrel roll would be a good feature.

BSG9_MasterChief

• The Master Of Pies
    • View Profile
Some joystick tips...
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 10:16:29 PM »
Quote from: Lt Steve "Skinny" Talbert;73157
Masterchief,

I have the directional thrusters set up on one of the hats of my Saitek X45.  It works amazing in a MK II....I don't know if it's b/c the II is slower than the VII or what, but I've gotten good guns kills in a head on pass by sliding up, down, left, or right while keeping them centered in the reticule.  It won't work as well against someone who's balls-on with their aiming, but it does work.

~Scoob

Unfortunatly my hat is messed up when you try to push it right.  Ill try that though.  Sorry i didnt respond to this in forever but AT training for the army and other things has had me busy for some time.

Chief
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Armageddon

• Eclipse Squadron (Nugget)
    • View Profile
Some joystick tips...
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 05:58:44 PM »
i currently have a logitech attack 3 which is a bit broke :sigh: any reccomendations on one that ACTUALLY works properly with BTRL

[edit]now have logitech extreme 3D Pro works extremly well with BTRL my accuracy has gone up drastically[/edit]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 11:43:55 AM by Armageddon »

BSG9_HunterB

• Eclipse C-flt BSG9
    • View Profile
Some joystick tips...
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 11:39:33 PM »
Ah yes the Logitech Extreme 3d pro.

I had one, sweeeeet stick indeed, lasted me about 6-7 years.   Broken now and cant find another one at the moment  :(

But my Saitek 290 pro still rocks

FF-Darkhalf

• View Profile
    • http://www.ffighters.com
Some joystick tips...
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 12:26:45 PM »
<<<  Logitech Extreme 3D

Hope my last one will last long cause this now older version don t seem to be available much anymore; Probably will have to buy the Pro version then which feels quite different me thinks :)

Foundry

Some joystick tips...
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 02:19:28 PM »
Does anyone know if the 360 controller works with BTRL? I can't be bothered with a full on joystick they're just too big and clumsy for my setup and the 360's works wonders as far as I've had it.

Adalla

• BSG9 & BSG Pilots Founder
    • View Profile
Some joystick tips...
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 09:07:12 PM »
No idea m8, but I'd ask on the BtRL support forum if you dont get a response here :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
9th Battlestar Group
1 Battlestar, 2 Squadrons, 42 pilots and counting...
BSG Pilots
The place to stop by for all BSG multi-player space simulation action.