Author Topic: An announcement  (Read 5957 times)

Kazan

• View Profile
An announcement
« on: May 07, 2007, 10:39:54 PM »
So, twice now (though probably only one time people around here would know about) I tried to get my own game project going.  I always set over ambitious goals, and dove right into things, and pretty much always ended up being pretty much the only person doing any work after a while, and so I would give up.

Well... here I am, at it again.   I've been sorely missing a sequal-in-spirit for Wing Commander Privateer, which is quite frankly one of the best games ever made.  I've been playing it using DosBox, and that's left me thinking.   I have ideas for this universe laying around, I have a map, I have two attempts at game engines.   I really want to see this come togeather... so.. i'll give it a third attempt.

Therefore I announce the creation of a new game engine/project.  I haven't gotten a name yet, but I think i'll keep the name "ferrium" for the engine - and reuse as much code as I can from the first attempt.   Instead of being a military-campaign however, this will be a Wing Commander Privateer-styled game with open ended gameplay, random encounters, customizable player ships, a storyline hidden (infact I intend to design it so "storyline packs" can be released which can be independant or interdependant as the storyline designers see fit).

I would greatly appreciate people signing on to help me out, as I have no hope of ever completing such a project alone.

(dev module name is traderoutes, just for a lack of a better idea for a name at the time i created the module)

[edit]
to clear up some conclusion - i'm using Privateer as a baseline to give you an idea what I intend it to be like, I am creating my own universe.. infact I just added the universe map to the CVS repo (salvaged the map i was using for ferrium) - "initial release" will definantly not have the full map included, probably just one of the smaller sectors (mapping out sectors should be relatively easy once things are in place)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 10:53:18 PM by Kazan »

takashi

• View Profile
An announcement
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 11:18:36 PM »
C or C++?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 12:08:48 AM by takashi »

Kazan

• View Profile
An announcement
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 11:44:38 PM »
only part of the post that isn't either "duh" or "faceplant"

C or C++

C++

FusionStorm

• This is my BOOMSTICK!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
An announcement
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 12:04:41 AM »
Will you be able to complete this project over the yelling for POFCS 2.0? :p
Four Score and so many months ago, us cylons kicked your colonial butts.

Want to learn Truespace 3.2?: My Tutorial

Kazan

• View Profile
An announcement
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 12:15:46 AM »
PCS2 is mostly done, just look at the roadmap http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,41648.0.html (and remember Bob is doing interface)

takashi

• View Profile
An announcement
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 12:38:11 AM »
how soon can we expect gunpoint editing?

and will ferrium support .pmf formats instead of .pof? (.pof is owned by interplay, which some-one should buy the rights for fs2/pof/vp from)

Kazan

• View Profile
An announcement
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 12:59:39 AM »
A) this isn't the thread to talk about PCS2 dev
B) PMF is an internal format for PCS2 ONLY and is unsuitable for usage in games, but game formats (like POF) aren't too friendly to editing, hence PMF

this game will have it's own model format, that will be supported by PCS2

C) since my POF loader code was written completely by me, myself, I could use POF if i wanted to.

takashi

• View Profile
An announcement
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 01:42:54 AM »
but the .pof format is owned by interplay. i'll have to look it up to see if you can get around it with a new loader code...

edit: HEY! guess what! you can! even the .vp format! buuuut the loader code has to different than the original. it has to be for a non commercial game, credit must be provided to interplay for using the formats, ect.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 01:53:09 AM by takashi »

Kazan

• View Profile
An announcement
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 02:09:59 AM »
taka....... i don't need you legal advice... i know the legal standing of my own code... thank you

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hard-light.net
An announcement
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 07:36:50 AM »
Could you be more specific? You said your project is about WC, but I want to know more about what you exactly have in mind :)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
An announcement
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 08:20:01 AM »
Deleting posts after you've been corrected is not an acceptable substitute for thinking before you post.

It makes it hard to follow the thread and it's damn annoying.

While I'll forgive it once in a while if something very contentious has been said and the original post has been deemed too inflammatory to remain as is, it is ridiculous to routinely come onto a thread and find that someone has posted several comments and then heavily edited them later.

Kazan

• View Profile
An announcement
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 01:41:14 PM »
Quote from: LieutenantGeneralMobius;71132
Could you be more specific? You said your project is about WC, but I want to know more about what you exactly have in mind :)

it's not about WC, it's my own universe, but I'm using Wing Commander Privateer as a prime example of what gameplay will be similiar too.

basically it's a open ended game - you can fly to any system (once you buy a jump drive), upgrade your ship in various ways, buy a new ship, etc.  You earn money through doing the randomly generated missions (cargo, patrol, bounty hunt, attack, etc) as well as storyline missions (given by characters you find on the various bases, normally in the bar)

Primus

• Lusus Naturae
    • View Profile
    • http://aeoncube.com/
An announcement
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 02:12:46 PM »
Privateer is a fine game. And great that you will make your own universe. Good luck and hope you get a dedicated team :)

Kazan

• View Profile
An announcement
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 02:42:51 PM »

and website dev is in progress.. but the forums are up http://ferrium.org

CamInHead

• aka Roanoke
    • View Profile
An announcement
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 04:37:21 PM »
are you sure it's a good idea to use the name "Ferrium" again ?

some people may react badly to it jus tbecause of the name.