Author Topic: 2nd training sortie  (Read 4507 times)

userfriendly

• Red 3
    • View Profile
    • http://mo.virtual-bunker.de
2nd training sortie
« on: April 30, 2007, 03:20:11 AM »
alright, next training session... say, wednesday, 1600 EST? let's meet in teamspeak (virtual-bunker.de:8767) and organize it a bit better than the last time :biggrin1:

we should have two people hosting so we can put 2x 2 squads against each other. i'll be hosting one of the games, seems like people have good pings when i'm hosting.

try to have your squadrons show up in full numbers.

EDITED TO ADD:

we seem to agree on 1700 EST5EDT respectively 2200 BST.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 03:48:04 PM by userfriendly »

Outlaw

• Grey 1
    • View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:34:09 AM »
In general, it might be prudent to try and organize games later in the afternoon/evening; some people work and can't make it during the day. As a courtesy to others, since this is an international thing, I think it would be a good rule to specify times in GMT format as well - which should be 11:00 AM in this case. Meaning, most of Europe will be at work, well before their lunch break, while most of US will be getting ready to go home from work. Either way, neither will be able to make it, which is a shame.

Intrinsica

• Deck Chief
    • View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 10:38:23 AM »
It's true, 1100 GMT won't work for many people. And for those that are in the states it won't work either, since they'll be somewhere around 0500...

Using your own timezone is fine, there is no point in everyone using GMT if they won't live in the GMT zone. However, everyone should be aware of those in other timezones, and take that in to consideration when planning these games. This link is handy for keeping track of the times.

boomchoob

• Ens \"Boomchoob\" Cappello
    • View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 11:12:39 AM »
yeah i think a better time is to start at 9-10 GMT

userfriendly

• Red 3
    • View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 02:59:59 PM »
guys... guys... 1600 EST is not 1100 GMT, unless you count differently than i do (or the earth decided to turn the other way while i was asleep).

it might be prudent to try and organize games later in the afternoon/evening
that's exactly why i chose 1600 EST, because that is evening over here in europe. yes, we're 5 to 6 hours before you guys, not after...

yeah i think a better time is to start at 9-10 GMT
thanks, boomy, and congrats :biggrin1: you have it right. that's exactly the time i suggested, by the way, i only stated it in EST istead of GMT.

Intrinsica

• Deck Chief
    • View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 03:06:02 PM »
Hmm, having actually used the link myself rather than just take Outlaw's word for it, I rule that Userfriendly is indeed right. Just goes to show that you should aways double check these things before jumping right in...

Well Userfriendly, if you can make 1600, I'm sure the guys in Europe can make 2100/2200. Hmm, is there anyone in some wildly different timezone from these?

userfriendly

• Red 3
    • View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 03:06:53 PM »
to clear things up, 1600 EST would be 2100 GMT, accounting for DST.

which would put it at 2200 for myself, as i'm in GMT+1 (germany).

any later and i'll need stims. lots.

Angreifer

• View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 03:07:38 PM »
Any chance of bumping it to 1700 EST? I usually eat dinner at 1630.

userfriendly

• Red 3
    • View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 03:10:58 PM »
hm. alright. 1700 EST then. *takes mental note to up his stash of stims before wednesday night*

that would make it 2200 for the brits and other people in their timezone and 2300 for me and the rest of central europe.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 03:34:34 PM »
Quote from: userfriendly;70007
to clear things up, 1600 EST would be 2100 GMT, accounting for DST.

Just a minor point but once you include the DST correction the term becomed BST for British Summer Time :)

GMT is constant.

userfriendly

• Red 3
    • View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 03:42:24 PM »
thanks!

oh my, oh my... this is sooo complicated it always confuses the heck out of me :biggrin1: alright, 2200 BST it is. and 2300 whatever we call it over here, i don't even know. "Sommerzeit" will have to do, i don't think we even put a "Deutsche" in front of it.

why can't the world be flat, fer frak's sake... one time for all.

M-562

• callsign: slipstream
    • View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 04:06:59 PM »
I think EST is CET-4 or am I wrong?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
to hell with those walkin toasters! :D :D

58th nukes for everyone. http://sloganizer.net

Outlaw

• Grey 1
    • View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 04:18:11 PM »
Quote from: userfriendly;70005
guys... guys... 1600 EST is not 1100 GMT, unless you count differently than i do (or the earth decided to turn the other way while i was asleep).

My mistake... that's what I get for not checking before posting. I just added 5 hours in the wrong direction... Next time I won't try to be smart, I'll check on the net :)
Anyway, sorry about that, I'll try and make the training session. Can you give us some more detailed instructions (links, anything) about setting up voice comm - I have zero experience with that. Thanks.

zachary

• Callsign: Zachary
    • View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 04:57:35 PM »
So that'll be midnight for me (i'm GMT+2...) but i think i'll be able to join for a few minutes.
Ensign Nathan "Zachary" Zachary
58th Red Squadron

userfriendly

• Red 3
    • View Profile
2nd training sortie
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 05:27:40 PM »
Quote from: M-562;70018
I think EST is CET-4 or am I wrong?

i think it's 5 hours difference, but then again, i'm always and easily confused about these timezone things :lol:

Quote from: Outlaw;70022
My mistake... that's what I get for not checking before posting. I just added 5 hours in the wrong direction... Next time I won't try to be smart, I'll check on the net :)
Anyway, sorry about that, I'll try and make the training session. Can you give us some more detailed instructions (links, anything) about setting up voice comm - I have zero experience with that. Thanks.
no sweat, man - i had a good laugh, but then i'm sure i myself offer lots of opportunities for others to laugh at my cost often enough :D so, you're fine.
as to that voice comm thing: i started a thread about that, see http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?p=70033#post70033

Quote from: zachary;70025
So that'll be midnight for me (i'm GMT+2...) but i think i'll be able to join for a few minutes.

wait, wait... poland is in the same timezone as germany, no? at least i always thought so (doesn't mean it's right, though) - as kara pointed out, GMT is constant, which would mean that i'm currently also at GMT+2.

anyway, i won't mind if you show up an hour early :biggrin1:

edited to add: i think it's 2300 for both of us.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 05:33:10 PM by userfriendly »