Author Topic: Differences of Viper MkII and VII  (Read 23981 times)

The Saint

• Battlestar Strongbadia
    • View Profile
Differences of Viper MkII and VII
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 09:33:01 PM »
1. mk2 Older technology, bigger engines, bigger computers, more fuel space.

MkII had a computer??? J/K, but I really doubt MkII had a bigger computer, since it barely had any use for one. :D

The remaining Mark VII's advanced computer systems were refitted to resist Cylon infiltration. However, since this is not how the Mark VII was designed to fly, the craft is increasingly more difficult to handle and can only be flown by the most experienced pilots such as Apollo and Starbuck.

That sounds like the Sci Fi Channel blurb I was talking about.

People should be careful about attributing maneouvrability to aft engines alone. Remember what the Space Spartans said before he kicked that Cylon down the blackhole. Maneouvrability in space is based on RCS thrusters. Since the MkVII has newer (and presumably more powerful, more finessed and better placed) thrusters, it'd have the edge over the MkII in that alone.

Zank

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 09:39:38 PM »
Quote from: The Saint;63664
MkII had a computer??? J/K, but I really doubt MkII had a bigger computer, since it barely had any use for one. :D

That sounds like the Sci Fi Channel blurb I was talking about.

People should be careful about attributing maneouvrability to aft engines alone. Remember what the Space Spartans said before he kicked that Cylon down the blackhole. Maneouvrability in space is based on RCS thrusters. Since the MkVII has newer (and presumably more powerful, more finessed and better placed) thrusters, it'd have the edge over the MkII in that alone.

Completely agree. I'm merely hinting to aerodynamics (in space lol) and physics (circular and rotational motion and whatnot). Something interesting that I just picked up is that the MkII has "2 Reverse thrust motors". The mkVII has none. Hmmmmm.

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 09:42:41 PM »
Good find Zank. About the two different engines on the Mk II - I believe we see an example of this when Starbuck launches out of one of the launch tubes, then the upper engine is seen to flare as she kicks off into combat (think this is in the miniseries).
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 09:52:45 PM »
I guess it all depends on one's definition of 'maneuverability;'

I had completely forgotten about the MkIIs reverse thrust (seen in Hand of God); at a higher rate of speed (taken with a grain of salt, considering in real life the engines would not burn all the time or acceleration would continue), the MkVII cannot change it's velocity vector in as short a distance as the MkII; through in the reverse thrust (ALSO seen in Act of Contrition), and the Mk II can change velocity vector more quickly.  The MkVII may be able to change the direction the pilot faces faster (depending on the placement of RCS), but velocity vector change would be won by MkII methinks, given what we know of physics + the type of 'physics' used in the show.

Angreifer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 09:59:22 PM »
Quote from: The Saint;63613
Except the MkVII isn't meaningfully larger than the MkII. ;) Where MkII bulges, the MkVII tucks. Where the MkII has bulkier looking engines and guns, MkVII's are more compact. So even though one looks longer than the other, internal volume doesn't differ nearly as much. Certainly nowhere near the F-14/F-16 difference, maybe closer to Hornet and Super Hornet.

The following may contain spoilers from the Season 3 finale. Read at your own risk.

[spoiler]When the "camera" zooms away from Apollo and Starbuck and begins its zoom out through the galaxy, you can see that Apollo's Mk VII absolutely dwarfs Starbuck's Mk II.[/spoiler]

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 10:53:30 PM »
By the way, that whole .35 second rotation time? Yea, that'd probably kill anyone inside instantly :p
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

Zank

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 10:56:12 PM »
[whispers]
Shhhhhh! Don't let the nuggets hear you!

I'm trying to get a nugget to try the maneuver out without a seatbelt, I have a camera hidden inside. I'm gonna post it to youtube :D
[/whispers]

Hey! Anyone looking for a free Viper ride? :D

black_library

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 10:57:05 PM »
Lol!

Zank

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 11:13:41 PM »
Hi Black Library, looking for a nice shuttle ride? :D

I've got a nice mkVII all ready to go..... ;)

complementary peanuts if you want *tosses black library a bag of peanuts*

There's plenty more from where that came from ;)

--Zank

black_library

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 11:16:29 PM »
Yeah....... I think I'll pass this one...

Zank

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 11:21:05 PM »
Lol we've deviated a lot from the topic :D

That tends to happen when I get my hand on a keyboard :P

Tikey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 11:30:38 PM »
You all are missing the most important point. The MkII is prettier :p

black_library

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 11:32:48 PM »
Yes I agree, but that wont make me fly it, cause its slow like a brahmin:)

Zank

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 11:40:32 PM »
prettier? Like the one that you know who rides in the you know what in the last episode of the ((14+1)/5) season of you know what show?
(trying to avoid spoiler tags since I don't know how to do them and am not feeling like learning atm) Vague enough?

Most surviving mkIIs are.... i don't want to say ugly.... but ....rough.

Remember: A good 2? 3? years of using museum relics that used to work 30 years ago? That have few repair parts and are being pushed to the limits (more than the pilots! pilots can be rotated, machines go up if they work), flying in dust clouds and atmos and swimming in raider soup.... Those things are death traps! (no offense)

Then yes, prettier :)

I don't have any preference mkII or mkVII, but I am fond of the mkII :) But I like the mkVII's advantages, (don't like the 3 guns though). I like the way the guns are positioned in the mkII. like... not part of the wing ....hard to explain.

ViperJockey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 11:51:32 PM »
The Mark VII is my equivalent to the X-wing. :P I actually like that it's not quite as agile as the Mark II.
"Bright shiny futures are overrated anyways."