Author Topic: The good and the bad  (Read 10130 times)

ArrTee

• Mr. STFU
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 03:54:52 PM »
Quote from: timbo1138;62004
The only criticism I have is that with the sheer amount of pilot chatter going on, and the level to which the voices are distorted, it can be really difficult to follow what's going on, especially when it's happening while you're in the middle of a furball with 6 raiders. That's not a slight on the voice actors, who are brilliant, or the writing, which is very authentic. It just all comes at you very quickly and is sometimes quite hard to understand. I tried to not have to look at the subtitles, but found that I had to many times (which is another issue, the timing on the subtitles is often a bit wonky, with them either disappearing too soon or showing up too late or not at all). I think the 'pacing' (for want of a better word) of the dialogue could use a little bit of work for the full version. Big, big props to the writer(s) and actors, though. You made me feel like I was right there. :D

Thanks Timbo, I agree 100% on this.. everything else is perfect... PERRRRFEEEEEECT..
I believe that forgiving the enemy is God\'s function. My job is simply to arrange the meeting.

VPR

• View Profile
    • http://www.vprnet.co.uk/
The good and the bad
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 04:43:57 PM »
Hello I've been watching the progress of this for about 2 years now and I have to agree with what's been said above, the demo lived up to all my own expectations and I'm looking forward to the full release.

The voice overs added greatly and I found it really helped draw me in and build the atmosphere. Creating campaigns for Xwing vs Tie Fighter and Xwing Alliance myself, it is difficult at times to draw players in and I think you've achieved this extremely well!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 04:49:13 PM by VPR »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 04:54:33 PM »
Usually I wouldn't put that amount of chatter in a mission during combat but in the case of Birth of a Legend it was rather central to the plot.

That said I'll work with Oddaelan to make sure it's easier to follow what's going on next time. Cause if you watch something like Scar (Which I watched you won't believe how many times while preparing for this mission) you can see that the pilots do like yakking away to each other. :D

TheFili

• Paranoid last CSS member
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 05:29:05 PM »
Good: The voice acting is top, state-of-the-art, high class, professional sounding earcandy.
Bad: Well, you've heard it, it's a bit much.
Good: The random factor is a nice touch.
Bad: Didn't know where else to put it, since it's not a bug or tech problem per se, but if you're already of chasing Scar in "Birth of a Legend" and your wingman (I think Nova) buys it, you get the whole "go play babysitter" line again. Is that intentional?
~Colonial Secret Service~
Ex perturbatio ad excidium.

My BSG vids:
http://www.youtube.com/TheFili

thesizzler

• Some 1337 coustom title
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »
Oh! I noticed a bad thing!!!

In one of the Command briefings, the text says (in reference to a ship) 'she' but the voice actor says 'it'. :p
[SIGPIC]C:\\Documents and Settings\\Charles\\My Documents\\space.PNG[/SIGPIC]

Lithium

• Cool under fire
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 05:41:52 PM »
Just finished. Excellent Demo! Scar is a bastard.

I was hoping for a little more, but that's the price of a demo.

Caveat:    Either there wasn't an explanation on the asteroid targeting, or I missed it. I had to run that 'Birth of a Legend' one twice because of that. I didn't know what rocks were supposed to be shot.
Scar is a bastard.

Personal Caveat:    This showed me that I'm more than a little rusty. I ran it on 'very easy' and I was having a problem targeting - lining up the relatively small red reticle.

Scar is a bastard.

Congratulations!
   This felt like the show. That in itself made for a lot of squee-ish fanboy moments.
The chatter didn't bother me at all. In fact, it enhanced the realism for me.
I didn't have a problem understanding any of the dialog.
If anything, this proves to me that games like this can be made without all the hoohah of corporate bullcrap.

Oh, and...

Scar is a bastard.
A Leap Through Time - Short Story by me

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 05:58:48 PM »
He's meant to be one. Starbuck said that he was as good as she was. The player should not have an easy time with him.

Quote from: TheFili;62123
Bad: Didn't know where else to put it, since it's not a bug or tech problem per se, but if you're already of chasing Scar in "Birth of a Legend" and your wingman (I think Nova) buys it, you get the whole "go play babysitter" line again. Is that intentional?

It's a bug.  And it will be fixed in the patch.

Karajorma kicks himself. Actually if all my bugs are of that sort of level of rarity and that minor I won't be to unhappy. :o

Incidentally how did you get Nova killed?

FOX2PRO

• View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 06:04:45 PM »
So....whens the full thing coming out?

Mjolnir2000

• Hammer of the Gods
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 06:09:09 PM »
when it's done.:p
Which side are we on?  We\'re on the side of the demons.  We\'re evil men in the Gardens of Paradise sent by the forces of Death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I\'m surprised you didn\'t know that.
-Colonel Saul Tigh-

mprey

• View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 06:11:18 PM »
Quote from: Mjolnir2000;62151
when it's done.:p

Well, hopefully before the whole affair is shut down by the copyright holders, as it always seems happening with these kinds of fan made projects... :/

Imperator

• Imperator has conquered!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cylonbase.com/
The good and the bad
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2007, 06:35:51 PM »

Do you actually see Scar? I mean the actual, factual, rusted, lovable bastard Scar?
"Reality is Cylon technology obviously outstrips our own."

Sharrpe95

• Commander
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2007, 06:57:02 PM »
From what I could tell he wasn't really rusted or 'scared' yet, I think the episode Scar takes place a few weeks after they have been mining? I dunno
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Imperator

• View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2007, 07:04:17 PM »
Ahhh, so that tricky Raider at the end was Scar, I thought he was a little easy, then again I was on easy...

Turey

• Diaspora Speed Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fsoinstaller.com
The good and the bad
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2007, 07:04:24 PM »
Quote from: Imperator;62164
Do you actually see Scar? I mean the actual, factual, rusted, lovable bastard Scar?

in response, I can only say:
"fighting for the survival of humanity is supposed to be hard." - Josh_88
Get FreeSpace Open here.
what kind of fucking 11 y.o. wannabe leet hacker made that unbelievable stupid, kiddish, awkward and whatsoever socalled \'updater\', which made me laugh at first and then cry and cry .. and now I wish to kill someone\'s parents [and then kill myself, ofcourse]. Any clue?
        Hello! That would be me.

Imperator

• View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 07:09:59 PM »
By your command.