Author Topic: The good and the bad  (Read 8665 times)

Ace

• The Blue Fist of Doom
    • View Profile
    • http://www.savant-online.net/
The good and the bad
« on: April 01, 2007, 02:58:32 AM »
Overall, beautiful and it feels very faithful to the show. I can't emphasize how well the dogfights seem to match with the feel of the series.

My only negative feedback:
1) Typos- In the tech room there are a few typos, and there is a little creative spelling in the command briefings. The voiceovers themselves are good.

2) The president sees invisible people- I'm assuming this takes place before Scar, shouldn't the line be "The Vice President?" Maybe a hotfix for that, inserting 'Vice' also into the recorded dialog would be good as it raised an eyebrow.

3) Images for weapon and intelligence entries in the tech room! (a picture of the scriptures for Earth, a render of Galactica for battlestars, etc.)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

KypFisto

• Callsign: Gulo
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 03:08:30 AM »
I've also noticed the tech room narrations are done by a text to speech program. Then again I may be missing a file or something of that effect.

Axem

• MRRFR MRRF!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sectorgame.com/axem/
The good and the bad
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 03:17:54 AM »
1) Oops... :nervous:

2) My script and in FRED it says Vice President. I haven't heard the actual VA line in awhile, but I'm pretty sure its vice president there too.

3) We'll make sure we do that for the full game. :p

Kyp: Tech room stuff doesn't have any VA, even in FS2. You can get rid of it by deselecting everything in the Speech Tab on the launcher.

Ace

• The Blue Fist of Doom
    • View Profile
    • http://www.savant-online.net/
The good and the bad
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 04:14:50 AM »
I only played through the mission once, so probably it's my bad on #2 ;)

So... ermm fix the typos!
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Mjolnir2000

• Hammer of the Gods
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 04:21:49 AM »
Aside from the multiplayer being impossibly hard (though that might have more to do with me...) I'm loving it so far.

Quick question:  When you're in glide mode is there absolutely no way to manuever?  In Babylon 5: I've Found Her, for example, you can still use side thrusters, but those didn't seem to work in this.
Which side are we on?  We\'re on the side of the demons.  We\'re evil men in the Gardens of Paradise sent by the forces of Death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I\'m surprised you didn\'t know that.
-Colonel Saul Tigh-

PsychoticShroom

• Callsign: Soldier
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 04:32:32 AM »
I have to say "took you guys long enough". but anyhow, it was well worth the wait. Spectacular work guys

One thing though,

In the multiplayer missions that have  accompanying AI and opposing AI, I notice the AIs don't "burst" with their guns, they fire single shots and each shot is almost laser accurate. Any way to fix that?

y2k_37

• Pilot for hire
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 04:34:05 AM »
i cant get the multiplayer to work... it cant find any games
The Microsoft Windows Source Code

If userid = "BGates" And pass = "macsux" Then
God_mode = True
Else
tmrcrash.Enabled = True
\'tmrcrash enables random crashes
End If

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 04:47:56 AM »
Quote from: Mjolnir2000;61829

Quick question:  When you're in glide mode is there absolutely no way to manuever?  In Babylon 5: I've Found Her, for example, you can still use side thrusters, but those didn't seem to work in this.

This seems to be an issue with the current coding of the engine...but this is something that I"ve been trying to get changed for a while.  It is on my list of features to try for in the main release, if possible.

0Starbuck0

• Viper Ace
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 04:59:22 AM »
Quote from: y2k_37;61835
i cant get the multiplayer to work... it cant find any games

You need to register with http://fs2netd.game-warden.com/

Once you do that just put your username and password into the multiplayer options and you're set.
BTRL CALL SIGN: Aries

FOX2PRO

• View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 05:31:45 AM »
We need more deathmatch servers!

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 05:34:05 AM »
You also need to make sure your firewalls and your router (!) forwards port 7808.

Lets not propagate the myth of port 7117 to a whole new bunch of people please. :p You only need 7808  - Karajorma
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 06:09:03 AM by karajorma »
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

FOX2PRO

• View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 05:37:20 AM »
How would I do that?

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 05:41:19 AM »
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

timbo1138

• View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 01:17:24 PM »
I just finished the single-player campaign, and before anything else, let me congratulate the team on an AMAZING job. Like Ace said, I can barely believe how authentic the game looks and feels. Flying a Viper is a challenging thing, but it should be, and I loved the feeling of being just slightly out of my depth at the stick of something so powerful, but then feeling a surge of accomplishment as I get the hang of it and started confidently blowing toasters out of the sky.

The only criticism I have is that with the sheer amount of pilot chatter going on, and the level to which the voices are distorted, it can be really difficult to follow what's going on, especially when it's happening while you're in the middle of a furball with 6 raiders. That's not a slight on the voice actors, who are brilliant, or the writing, which is very authentic. It just all comes at you very quickly and is sometimes quite hard to understand. I tried to not have to look at the subtitles, but found that I had to many times (which is another issue, the timing on the subtitles is often a bit wonky, with them either disappearing too soon or showing up too late or not at all). I think the 'pacing' (for want of a better word) of the dialogue could use a little bit of work for the full version. Big, big props to the writer(s) and actors, though. You made me feel like I was right there. :D
"There must be some way outta here,
Said the joker to the thief.
There\'s too much confusion,
I can\'t get no relief..."

All of this has happened before...

Nothing_But_The_Rain

• Callsign: \"Wolfman\"
    • View Profile
The good and the bad
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 03:51:29 PM »
^2nded. Great acting and writing, with lots of cool detail; but the sheer volume of dialogue is hard to follow even in the calmer moments. The comm distortion friggin' rules, though, as does the chatter in the background during the briefings.
The Gods shall lift those who lift each other.