Author Topic: Extremely long load times in demo  (Read 5869 times)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Extremely long load times in demo
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 07:54:36 PM »
You could grab VPView and the DLL pack from here and try extracting all the files to data.

i.e anything in the VP's missions folder goes in Data\Missions, etc.

And we're not the only mod to have a big VP. TBP had one too and had no issues like this that I remember.

darklord3k

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 10:36:44 PM »
I think im accualy making some progress here!

going through the VP I took the interface stuff and extracted it to a newly created folder in data called interface. Then I took the WAV sound files from the VP and put them in a new folder in data.

When I launched the program the intiall load was still long (but I think it was a quicker by a good bit). The most nodicible chance was that after the first loading screen all the hangs when going around the interface was gone. I could get to the options in a matter of seconds (which took about 3-5 mins before). It no longer hanged when i hilighted stuff or when i changed my settings. In short everything was function as it should. (and i didn't have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to quit)

to test I took way my newly created folders form data and ran the program again. All the god-afull hangs and waits where back so im postive im making some headway here.

next step: copy more crap and pray.

thanks for the idea although im conserned on if ill have limited sucess

oh yeah and the downside.... its probalby gonna be hell on my disk space

The problem is probally caused by crappy file indexing or fragmentation to the VP file..
run a defrag scan. does a filed called z_root_BtRLDemo.vp show up as fragmented?
(my hard drive won't defrag for the life of it)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 10:57:12 PM by darklord3k »

Maniac2099

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 10:41:03 PM »
you think you could make a instruction thing of what you did so i can see if it will help me and my long loading times

ads0529

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 01:28:41 AM »
I did the same thing darklord3k did and got the same results, no more menu hangups and the main menu load time decreased to about 3 and a half minutes, though the mission load times are unchanged.  Tomorrow I'll try it with the rest of the files.

darklord3k

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 02:09:35 AM »
1. get the VPview here
2. find the z_root_BtRLDemo.vp file.
3. open with the VP viewer
4. open the data folder
5. create a folder in data for every folder in the VP EX: maps,models,effects etc... (some folders might already be created. If it is not there create it)
6. use the extract to dir command to extract the files to in the VP into their respective folders (effects file into effects folder, hud into hud)

to select all files within a folder first select the file at the top of the list, scroll all the way down, hold SHIFT and select the file at the bottom of the list

(the exteracter might appear to hang and it might say not responding. ignore this.)
be shure when you get to the voice folder you create the folders inside voice and exeract the files into their respective folders (briefing files into briefing folder etc..)

the downside of all of this is you are effectviely doubling the harddisk space required for BTRL but hey if it works....

oh BTW after copying all the files things are working beautifuly. Great mod
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 02:33:22 AM by darklord3k »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2007, 06:38:22 AM »
A word of warning to those of you doing this, once you start down this path, forever will it rule your...... oh wait. Wrong audience. :D

What I mean is that once you start extracting VPs you have to keep doing it. When we release a patch you'll have to extract that too and overwrite any files with the same name. Files in Data override anything in the VPs so you'd get old file overriding the new patch.

darklord3k

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2007, 12:18:37 PM »
hmm these multiplayer missions are taking mush longer to load tahn the campiagn missions (too long in some cases ie: booted out of the server)
any ideas? (i even went as far as copying the missions VP)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2007, 01:24:49 PM »
That is strange. As you can see from the filesizes the multiplayer ones are much more simple than the singleplayer missions.

ads0529

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2007, 06:34:45 PM »
I extracted all of those files and my load times are more normal.  Thanks for all the help!

darklord3k

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2007, 07:13:35 PM »
never mind. its just something i forgot to do

Cpt. Ritter

• Orange 2: \'Fishbait\'
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2007, 12:20:10 AM »
While not a computer expert, I believe it is the shear size of the .vp that makes it hard to access on computers with lower amounts of RAM.

A possible way to clean that up, would be to break up the game into multiple .vp files, much like FS2. I have no idea if this would work, but I'm having trouble even using VPview to access the file. I think I've managed to sort out some of the problems though, basically by doing what's hear, leading me to the conclusion that it is a memory issue.
Former 58th Air Wing Member

Lieutenant Jayne \'Fishbait\' Tyrum
Orange Squadron - \'Firestarters\'

darklord3k

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2007, 02:22:27 AM »
well alone I don't think the massive VP will caue the problem but a VP that is fragmented to all hell.... (pity i can't check this but it is probably the case)

Maniac2099

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2007, 02:55:36 AM »
hey darklord when you said in step 4 or 5 after i open the z_root_btrl folder how do you make new folders?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2007, 10:51:25 AM »
Well the strange thing is that TBP's VP was actually 200MB bigger than ours and I never recall seeing this problems for them.

But yeah, next time I think splitting the VPs would be a good idea.

sloany

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2007, 02:21:29 PM »
Quote from: ads0529;63313
I did the same thing darklord3k did and got the same results, no more menu hangups and the main menu load time decreased to about 3 and a half minutes, though the mission load times are unchanged.  Tomorrow I'll try it with the rest of the files.

I did the same thing, and having the same problems.