Author Topic: In search of Home (world )  (Read 12707 times)

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
In search of Home (world )
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 12:30:43 AM »
Quote from: StarSlayer;58684
Takashi, you seriously need to stop.  Seems like everywhere i look your posting technical advice which is wrong.  You think that banking is only good for doing a barrel role, karajorma has repeatedly had to correct the advice you've handed out.  I know you are trying to help but your knowledge of Freespace 2 and FS2Open is not up to the task.  Your running the risk of seriously messing up someones game or computer by following your misinformation.  Not only that but a fair number of FS2 vets are losing patience with having to run fire brigade on your posts.

Until you get way more experience(and i'm not just talking about hanging around HLP for a week) the next time you have a thought on a technical issue, let it go.

QFT
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 03:03:45 AM »
just wait till my ship release. WITH PULSATING GLOWMAPS (for the engine and nav lights).

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 03:23:14 AM »
Do we really need to hear about what you're doing for your own mod in everyone else's threads?
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

FlareBaffled

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 07:01:47 PM »
Shine maps and glow maps are extra texture layers that improve the overall depth and feel of the textures ... that's something I need to add to mine to make the ships look more 'real' .... I know full well how to do them, what they are and the theory behind them. What I DON'T know, and what Da Brains kind offer of help will tell me ( I hope ;) ) is how to implement them for FS2 open.

I'm no rookie modder ... just a rookie when it comes to FS2 open.

What i won't be doing, though, is adding all sorts of fancy effects that bring nothing beneficial to the finished product. I want to keep as much of a Homeworld 'feel' as possible, and if an effect takes things away from it, then I won't be using it. There were no pulsating glows in HW1, so no pulsating glows in my mod!

FlareBaffled

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 11:41:41 AM »

progress :)

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 11:22:22 PM »
were there hi-res texturescand eveiroment maps in hw1?

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2007, 05:36:34 AM »
As far as I know, no.
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

FlareBaffled

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2007, 09:57:13 AM »
Ahhh...Takashi.... what I said was:

IF IT DOESN'T ADD ANYTHING TO THE MOD I WON'T USE IT.

High res textures and map effects add quite a lot, I think. The flashing glowmaps you were talking about add nothing I want. The engine glows in HW don't pulsate, and I don't think they should. The tech utilised a controlled fusion torch...and the only way that would change would be to increase or decrease the size of the glow with throttle setting. Not pulsate as an animated glowmap would. Simple as that. And I know how to do glowmaps, eff's, dds textures and animation.... FS2's implementation of multi-layer texturing is not documented anywhere though...which is why I need few pointers.

If you are so sure they are needed, I suggest you go make your own mod with them in. The beauty of actually making your own mod is that you get to choose what's in and what's out.

If I wanted to use low res textures and simple models, I would have just ported the stock ships straight over, baked the textures to reduce the numbers of texture maps and stuffed them in as they were. That's not what I want. Relic used the highest res textures and the most detailed models that a PC could cope with then. They did a really fine job on the low-poly modelling, and the results look acceptable today ... but they were never meant to be viewed close up. I want to go a few steps further.

And as a final comment..Takashi...if you cannot keep your own 'pimpage' in your own threads, don't post at all. I eagerly look forward to the release of 'your mod' ... especially if the quality of the ship pictures you have posted at HLP are anything to go by.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 10:08:09 AM »
Quote from: FlareBaffled;59412
And as a final comment..Takashi...if you cannot keep your own 'pimpage' in your own threads, don't post at all.

Consider yourself warned takashi. FlareBaffled is correct and you should keep stuff about your mod largely to your thread(s). I'll be splitting off anything more that isn't helpful or germane to the topic.

Primus

• Lusus Naturae
    • View Profile
    • http://aeoncube.com/
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 11:10:47 AM »
@FlareBaffled

Looks really good, keep up the good work :)

FlareBaffled

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
Thanks Primus :D

Trikor nearly finished with the photshop work, and then I can get on with the modelling again! I have done most of the Kushan resource collector...and I have started on the corvettes.

I might detour and do a Kushan Frigate or two though... for mission purposes! I plan to use a 2-texture approach for the Frigates, with all teh common hull sections on one, and then another one for the special parts.

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 12:14:01 AM »
Quote from: takashi;59117
just wait till my ship release. WITH PULSATING GLOWMAPS (for the engine and nav lights).

we all appreciate your enthusiasm, but please keep to your own threads when you are talking about your stuff.

if you have a suggestion for somebody, politely suggest it and leave it at that

CamInHead

• aka Roanoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »
When I first joined TAP we were doing pretty much anything Homeworld but most of the recent activity has be HW2.

Can't say I really liked HW2 myself.

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 06:02:19 PM »
Great mod and great pics :yes: .
I too liked HW1 very much (except for the german speaker who sort of ruined most of the atmosphere of the campaign... :-/ ) and judging from the pics, this mod is something I'm really looking forward to :-) .
Location: Shivan Fleet, Interstellar Space... now you\'d like to know between WHICH stellar systems, wouldn\'t you? :ha: ;) :devel:

(only joking, of course - estimates are always welcome, though people should know they\'re just that :) )

Jangiri

• Cybran Nugget
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 04:35:30 AM »
i just got into the homeworld series a little while ago and i sort of went hand in hand with freespace. i have the freespace mod for homeworld now i want the homeworld mod for freespace. you have my support
My name is Inigo Montoya you killed my father prepare to die