Author Topic: In search of Home (world )  (Read 13544 times)

FlareBaffled

• View Profile
In search of Home (world )
« on: February 28, 2007, 07:08:17 PM »
Or, in a less flowery way .... bringing Homeworld 1 to a Freespace SCP engine near you! Been working on it for a few weeks, and it seems to be coming along quite well. Well enough, I think, for me to start thinking about mission ideas and ways to blend the ships I have, the ships I am building and the things that could be done.

Up till now, the mod has been living solely over at HLP, but I want to broaden the horizons and capture some wider ideas! Feel free to make suggestions!

p.s. This is not an ask for people to do the work...I got all that covered myself. Though an experienced FRED'er would be useful to show me some of the more advanced things.

Just to whet appetites.... here a some screenshots of the ships currently completed and in the game. All are POF'd, pathed and come with at least 3 LODs.

gotta have those Homeworld trails!

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 07:11:48 PM »
Saw this over on HLP, very nice. Hope you include Homeworld-esque physics as well :)
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

FlareBaffled

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 07:20:05 PM »
As far as the game engine will allow. I don't know how close I can get...but I will be paying attention to CofG and mass to try and get them handling and turning as they should.

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 07:44:18 PM »
If you need help, talk to me, I do the tables/flight models for BtRL. :)
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 07:54:15 PM »
Awesome, are you planning on adding a few Homeworld II ships as well?  I am big fan of Higaarin CVBGs, 3 Destroyers and a jump Carrier with vettes and bombers ;)  Are you planning on making vettes playable as well?

Ill be keeping an eye on this one.
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FlareBaffled

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 09:56:31 PM »
HW2 ships are being done by the Apocalypse Project. I don't plan on doing them, but rather I am concentrating on the HW1 vessels.

Flyable Corvettes, though, I am in favour of. I will be limited in the kind of missions they will be able to perform, but I think the HW1 take on Corvettes will work. Combat will be a question of keeping targets in the turrets arcs of fire. They are, on the plus side, looking as though they have a fighter type cockpit, and they are not capship sized or capship slow!

Flyable corvettes ... check :D

Unknown Target. ..... I would definitely appreciate advise on the handling front.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 12:50:21 AM »
You just answered my question, I was going to ask if you were unknowingly duplicating effort cause of the TAP team at HLP...

Anyway, looks really good!!! Good luck with your project!
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

FlareBaffled

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 08:35:32 AM »
I have been in contact with one of the TAP team members and have had posts in the thread at HLP from team members. If there had been a conflict of issues or duplication of work, then I would have respected that and either packed it in or joined up!

As it is, I am sticking firmly to HW1, and all their efforts are aimed at HW2. Whilst I can see the increased polish of HW2, I found HW1 to be more engrossing personally! It's ships inspired me more than HW2. Notable favourites being the Kushan Frigate, Light Corvette and Mothership...and the Taiidan scout and heavy Interceptor.

The Heavy Interceptor ( Trikor ) is currently under construction, and should be the next thing to be launched.

I plan on finishing the hard-core of fighter craft first, and putting togather a dogfight pack with a few training missions based on the HW1 training mission. Then, I will work on the capships, corvettes and extras before releasing a final build with the campaign. That way, people can play with the stuff without having to wait years for me to finish it all! I can also get playtester feedback on the vessels at each stage to incorporate improvements in later releases.

I know it's a big project, and I don't want to make everyone wait for me to do everything!

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 12:01:26 AM »
nice afterburner trails. are those the SCP ones, or self-made ones for skywriting?

ps: i do weapons, AI classes, medals, but not ships, unless of course its adding neat swirl effects like the ones in starfox assault, and adding homeworld physics.

FlareBaffled

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 10:37:36 AM »
Those aren't afterburner trails .... they are nebulae type trails. The HW ships left trails as they moved, and it was an essential part of the 'look' that ha sto be replicated to make the things look like HW. You can control the actual texture used for the trail inthe ship table, to give each side their own colour. Width and duration of the trail are also tweakable.

All you have to do is set the mission up with the nebulae flags on, and choose the speed at which the trails start.

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 06:45:05 PM »
neat...kinda like the way i re-created the swirl effect when you roll to amke it starfox-ish.

DaBrain

• Dude with micro shadows
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/starfox
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 10:45:33 PM »
@FlareBaffled

Very nice models. The cockpits add a lot to them.

If you need any technical advice about shine/glow maps, texture formats, detail boxes or something else, feel free to ask me. ;)
Watch your shadow
-------------------
"the more i look at the shots the more i\'m becomming a..starfox fan :nod:"
-Dodger-

"Laziness is the first step to efficiency."
-DaBrain-

Official Q-Games fan

FlareBaffled

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 07:29:20 PM »
Will do :) I think I need to add some extra depth to the textures!

Progress has been temporarily derailed due to some serious events at work .. but I will be back in the modelling seat in a few days time. My boss got out of a taxi on the wrong side....and into the path of a car. He is in ICU, but stable. And my workload has doubled.

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 10:08:58 PM »
need to know how to get pulsating glows? its kinda easy. its all .eff's and .dds's with some glowmaps thrown in.

DaBrain

• Dude with micro shadows
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/starfox
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 10:51:34 PM »
Quote from: takashi;59075
need to know how to get pulsating glows? its kinda easy. its all .eff's and .dds's with some glowmaps thrown in.

Sorry takashi, but how should anybody who doesn't know how to use this already, understand what to do.

There is no point in explaining it, if you don't tell what has to be done and how.
Watch your shadow
-------------------
"the more i look at the shots the more i\'m becomming a..starfox fan :nod:"
-Dodger-

"Laziness is the first step to efficiency."
-DaBrain-

Official Q-Games fan