Author Topic: Episode 317 - Discussion **Spoilers**  (Read 9841 times)

The Trivial Psychic

• New Build Snoop Junkie
    • View Profile
Episode 317 - Discussion **Spoilers**
« on: February 26, 2007, 05:41:05 AM »
Since 317 - "Maelstrom" is expected to be a big-consequences episode, I anticipate that we'll be getting some in-depth discussion of it.  To start things off, here's the description of the episode from the Canadian Space channel's website:

[spoiler]Kara questions her sanity when a dogfight with a Cylon raider ends unexpectedly, and later she has recollections of her abusive mother and nightmares about her time on New Caprica.[/spoiler]
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Nuke

• Slacker
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/nukemod-cos/
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 07:14:16 AM »
317 thread already? damn!

looks like were due for another bipolar starbuck moment.
Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of the human mind

Shinzon

• Lt. SG \"Shinzon\"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 02:59:06 PM »
i saw explosions in the preview for next week's episode, so there should be some good action there (finally).

Dodger

• TCB-CSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 03:04:22 PM »
next episode gonna be something special..

ÜBER SPOILER LINK
don't open this if you dont wanna be affraid of this weeks episode:nervous:
it spoiles a lot!
don't open if you are a [spoiler]Starbuck[/spoiler]fan.
I warned you!
[spoiler]http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2007/01/something_profo.html[/spoiler]
and my personal expectation:
[spoiler]leoben is getting his toy back![/spoiler];)

The Cylon Base

*signature by BoneZ

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 08:22:02 PM »
You know, I don't know which of those events I would hate more deeply.

[spoiler]Starbuck getting even more maligned, or having to deal with friggin' Leoben again.[/spoiler]
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

Shinzon

• Lt. SG \"Shinzon\"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 11:54:02 PM »
all this seems very interesting... this is going to be one long week.

Werthead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 06:07:36 PM »
Lots of possibilities for this episode:

[spoiler]
1. Starbuck dies, having come to some understanding about herself and the universe.

2. Starbuck dies, and wakes up in a Cylon resurrection tank.

3. Starbuck finds a wormhole or something leading to Earth (or even just finds Earth itself) but dies/resurrects before the info can get to Galactica.

4. Starbuck is simply taken prisoner by the Cylons (again).

5. Starbuck gets a 'Head Leoben' in the same way that Baltar has a 'Head Six'. Note that this could be as well as any of the above possibilities.

6. Starbuck is Leoben's daughter. That would be. Utterly. Messed. Up. :eek2: [/spoiler]

The only things that seem certain are:

[spoiler]That Katee Sackhoff does not appear in episodes 318 or 319 and it appears not in 320 either (although a Best of Both Worlds-style cliffhanger appearance could still be a possibility).

Katee Sackhoff has hinted that she is not gone from the show forever, but if she comes back it may be as a recurring rather than a regular character. Which kind of reinforces the possibility of her coming back as a Cylon.[/spoiler]
Visit The Wertzone for all your SF&F Needs

Draco429

• \"Eclipse\" Draco
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 08:40:57 PM »
But it's not BSG without Starbuck.... NOO......
せいれんとかえります。できます。いたします。
Return with Honor. I can. I will.
-Eclipse

Shinzon

• Lt. SG \"Shinzon\"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 10:09:21 PM »
indeed. its BSG... the S standing for Starbuck

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 10:39:26 PM »
In a way I'm pleased, the only thing they've done of late is to abuse her. Ragging on Starbuck was getting pretty old.
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

Werthead

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 09:17:57 PM »
I think maybe hiding that name under spoiler text might be a good idea, at least until the episode airs. Something else that's odd though:

[spoiler]David Eick has apparently commented that something else happens to another character in this episode, something that has been foreshadowed for a while. I'm wondering if it's the long-anticipated return of Roslin's cancer.[/spoiler]

saruman178

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 10:04:39 PM »
Battlestar Starbuck Galactica.

ViperJockey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 10:46:08 PM »
Quote from: Werthead;58320
I think maybe hiding that name under spoiler text might be a good idea, at least until the episode airs. Something else that's odd though:

[spoiler]David Eick has apparently commented that something else happens to another character in this episode, something that has been foreshadowed for a while. I'm wondering if it's the long-anticipated return of Roslin's cancer.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Or maybe Roslin and the Admiral finally get it on? :P[/spoiler]
"Bright shiny futures are overrated anyways."

Shinzon

• Lt. SG \"Shinzon\"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 11:56:28 PM »
Quote from: Werthead;58320

[spoiler]I thought that Roslin's cancer was gone... In season 2, the blood from Sharon's fetus completely obliterated the cancer.[/spoiler]

Werthead

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 12:51:06 AM »
Quote from: Shinzon;58342
[spoiler]I thought that Roslin's cancer was gone... In season 2, the blood from Sharon's fetus completely obliterated the cancer.[/spoiler]

A very good point. That episode did of course leave a massive logical flaw in the series, however:

[spoiler]Namely that if Roslin isn't dying, how can she be the prophecised dying leader who guides humanity to Earth? So either the cancer returns or someone else, who is dying, becomes President. As for how it returns, it is possible that the cancer has been forced into extreme remission rather than having been obliterated (admittedly the dialogue in Epiphanies does sound pretty certain about it being destroyed completely though) and that the cells from the fetus may have worn off or been adapted to, but I'm not an expert in cancer treatments. It's possible the producers were referring to something else.[/spoiler]