Author Topic: You say you want to join us??? Read this!  (Read 15310 times)

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
You say you want to join us??? Read this!
« on: February 24, 2007, 10:27:06 AM »
NOTE: This thread is only for join requests.

To cut down a lot of the one shot posts and PM's like in the past I decided to alter a response for people to take in and digest. I'm sure the BSG team can appreciate where I'm coming from as we've both had disappointing experiences with newbs.

To sum up:

Great to hear your a long time fan (like myself, I grew up with anime slightly before RT came out - hence my screen name).

ATM there are few people I trust with the files of this new revamp of the old mod headed by Max Sterling (which is still available online I believe at robotechlan.com ,but only works with retail versions as is and is just a toolkit, you must make your own missions with it.)

Please bear with me on what I'm about to say. It's NOT directed at you. This is just so you understand what's been going on the last 4-5 years since I took over the original Mod from Max and devoted my time and effort for this vision and it has been a very long and frustrating ride.

My policy on help is this: due to RL issues I understand people can't give solid commitments to the "team" (I have been the only consistent member since conception) so if people want to help instead of going through all the effort of updating and re-packing up everything, I only send piece work to people who can prove their dedication and skills.

I once had someone BS me with "update reports" for Several  months after sending him a dozen meshes that he was "working on bug fixing them" and then "quit" (after I stated I wanted to sever relations with him) after I discovered he had done absolutely nothing that I hadn't ALREADY done to them (as I am NOT a modeler, I still can tweak 3d things slightly). That was just one example, but was one of the worst and most disheartening. Cause others who wanted to work on them were told "they're being worked on"...

About once every three months I get a join request PM and most of the time there is no follow up after I contact them.

This message was meant to express the state of the Mod and the fact that basically people have talked a great deal, but done damn little and everyone wants the files up front, that were (mainly) contributed by people outside of the FS2 community I individually contacted and built a relationship with.

That said... I would be overjoyed to get an experience set of modders who understand what needs to be done, can work on a focused task, and have enough patience to wait for content until enough (IMHO) is gathered to form a "demo". There is still masssive amount of WORK that needs to be done first despite what has been accomplished.

Quite frankly I am very proud to have nearly tripled the original's content as well as replace MOST of the older content to boot! :naughty:

I want this mod finished resource wise FIRST before we begin hard planning for missions aside from the original ones I made with Max's mod, cause we have to then port the Alpha Mod into the newest build of fs2 open. I use an out dated build cause all these years that was the only one I could get to work and that's the way it is.

If I didn't do it this way we wouldn't be here today and the "mod" as it is now would not exist. You'd only still have Max's Mod to deal with.

That's the other reason I only give out piece work now. People can't test things because my mod won't run on their system (most of the time) if they are set up for new FS2_open. In the long run it's not that important. Getting the work done is the priority, porting second, demo planning/testing third, demo release forth, and then final mission construction and testing last.

After digesting all this, if you still want to help let me know and I'll begin setting up a list you can choose to pick a task from and take it from the one small set of files at a time.

If this is not what you expected or find this management style too constraining I apologise :biggrin1:

Ok let the join posts & PM's begin again...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 10:31:40 AM by Star Dragon »
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

ModelsPlease

• Fleet Admiral OutaLance S
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 07:56:53 AM »
Count me in :biggrin1:

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 03:34:15 PM »
Speak of the Devil!

If you came for your ego stroking it's all located in the screenshot thread (kidding!).

Models Please is officially recognised as a (Outside the general FS community) Major Contributor to this mod!

Not to mention his Macross 7 models will greatly enhance my fanfiction story arc for M7 as well as some little "vids" I'm in the process of storyboarding out in my head.

"think something like the 'loop of Congrat' episode from SG-1"

Models Please has created/involved with at lest several Trek meshes I approached him ages ago about permission for which greatly enhance the visual quality of that project.

He's also a member of Outalance Shipyards a Trek oriented (but not lmited to) loose group of modelers who do lots of amazing works for Trek oriented games like SFC series, KA, Armada1/2, and Bridge Commander.

So welcome aboard MP!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 03:38:43 PM by Star Dragon »
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

ModelsPlease

• Fleet Admiral OutaLance S
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 03:46:45 AM »
Thanks SD glad to be here. Yes I've done a few Star Trek Ships.......lol about 600 models at last count, around 80 BSG ships, a few Star Wars and of course my all time fave....Robotech/Macross. But in that genre all props to Ancient Angel who got me started by graciously allowing OutaLance to host some of his work. Anything I can do to help ya know I will.
-MP

RogueAngyl

• Spittin into the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 10:42:08 PM »
Greetings!

Pretty much everything I see going on here regards visual issues.  Admittedly, I know nothing about modding, texturing, etc.  In all honesty, I just clicked in here to see what progress has been made on this project.  To my surprise, I see nothing about matter which pertain to my talents.

I am currently looking for a project to contribute to.  As a proud musician and mecha fanboy, Macross happens to be my favorite series.  If at some point in time you need someone to contribute to voice acting, I would be happy to help in that respect.  I have extensive background in community theatre, have done some directing and a bit of minor voiceover here and there.  I also have experience in writing for theatre for dialogue issues.  

If you need music assistance, I admit I could contribute but being that I have such great respect for Macross, I am somewhat reluctant to dare to say I would do the music true justice.  Okay, if we were talking Macross Plus, yeah that would be easy to whip together (I have a decent feel for Yoko Kanno).  If you want a real Lynn Minmay or Fire Bomber feel, I admit that it would be possible to do some form of transcription to a looped background music, but if you want true Macross feeling I would say go for a straight from the show/movie/ova songlist.  Granted, now we are technically talking copyright issues, but like I said I have a true humility for the music of this series.  For the record, I have 8 years classical guitar training, some experience in composition, and some experience in digital music editting.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 01:17:26 PM »
Sounds great...

At this stage We (meaning me) are focusing on 3d issues. I mentioned elsewhere in the section that voice acting will definitely be included although as of today I am debating if to actually recast the core characters in the mod instead of using the 1 gig library of waves I already collected form my DVD's... (this was the very first thing I did when I started the project.)

Again not to put the cart before the horse, but I probably have every musical resource that starts with an R or M in regards to both series.

I myself not only voice act in FS2 projects, but have joined 2 VA boards for more exposure and experiences (Hoping to expand my horizons).

IF you're still following this mod on that day in the future I announce VA and music work to begin I'd defiantly enjoy having you around. :)

RogueAngyl

• Spittin into the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 11:40:27 PM »
Yeah definitely keep me in mind.  Glad to hear you are just rippin the music straight out though.  I figure I might as well put it forward just in case.  And you'll forgive me if, as someone accoustomed to live theatre, I'm more used to the effects accompanying the acting and not vice versa.

I'm just looking to get into a project at this point and don't want to miss out on something if I can.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 02:52:57 PM »
Do you have any voice samples? Couldn't hurt to see how you sound to me. :)

General pilot chatter is fine.

also any others seeing this post I'm starting a audition thread simply to get a feel for who's out there. No matter if you sound like a particular character or not, if you want to have a voice role in the mod in the future I'm not adverse to hearing you folks... Just don't expect a script or anything like that for a year or two. :)

Post links in the new thread.

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 12:13:47 AM »
weapon effects...missle models...shinemaps...

just the few skills that were narrowed down at HLP (from modeling, texturing, tableing, coding, ect) and im now good at. need any of them?

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 01:05:07 AM »
Takashi, your join request is officially noticed...

I'm deciding how to phrase my response.
Let's just say you'd be on a very strict probationary trial. I'm short on time tonight so I'll send you a PM tomorrow with some ideas/details.

Depending on your performance/attitude/reliability, will determine your level of association with this project. Any works derived from your efforts however, that are used, will be fully credited (as always).

[edit]

Heck with a PM, here's the list for TAKASHI: Since you mentioned weapon effects we need a few.

1.)  Anime style explosions (in red, white, blue, yellow, maybe green). I made an unfinished one and posted it long ago but no one ever tried to do anything with it so lets see what you come up with...

2.) Rainbow beam: same as Grendizer's chest attack from the 70's, this is not so much a weapon as it is a cut scene effect for the wedding episode. But they look damn similar.

3.) Fire works: leaving this open to interpretation, but think of your standard effects you see every July 4th.

4.) If you can think of any effects I have forgotten great... Most of the other effects we need are covered by other stuff already.

Once these tasks are done, only THEN would you be assigned 3d stuff or tabling whatnot.

This is your audition, don't blow it. :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 10:26:55 PM by Star Dragon »

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 02:29:35 AM »
the rainbow beam...ive never seen that episode. can i see a picture?

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 02:48:39 AM »
Follow this convo to screenshot thread, this is only for join requests... pls
I will post a pic there.

crazyrobban

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 10:36:14 AM »
If its fine with you guys, I'd gladly start working on something.
I'm not much of a texturer, I've never coded anything in freespace, but I do know how to work 3d models.

And more importantly, I'm a macross/robotech fan since way back and ever since Shogo: Mobile Armor Division was released I have been dieing for a good mecha-sim!

So, am I in?

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Ahem
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 04:17:37 AM »
Takashi it OUT. While his first task was completed I was able to do better. Also his fireworks was a recolored version of the original mods ones. Also other content was "accidentally" included that was not credited to others (I saw some of nuke's stuff).

Since then he has been incommunicado.
---------------------

Crazy - You already mentioned in the other thread you can't make a commitment, so if you want to contribute then I will direct you relatively SMALL 3d tasks until that changes.

I was going to bother a certain modeler I know to do this, but decided it would be a good entry level audition: Turrets, particularly ZENT ones I'll assign Human ones later.

Say budget of 200 polys max? Considering we will have dozens on the flag ones that may be pushing it. So lets see what you can do under that. :)

(Don't forget you can click on them to enlarge)

crazyrobban

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »
Right! Cool. I'll begin working on this tonight.
What format is needed? Will I be needing a special exporting tool?