Author Topic: Beyond the Red Line feature requests  (Read 129344 times)

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
Beyond the Red Line feature requests
« Reply #405 on: June 08, 2007, 03:58:32 AM »
The "Cylotron" is a non-canon nuBSG design, not a TOS design.
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvada
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 08, 2007, 05:34:04 AM »
Not every TOS fan can recognize a TOS ship, it was soo long ago... or shall I take it as a compliment?
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Wolfy

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 08, 2007, 08:27:56 AM »
Well, i beleive the devs said that they where gonna do alot of TOS series ships (such as cylon raider n basestar, and possibly the viper), no sure though but i think i heard that anyway?

so when the mods released, its not hard to edit missions so that you can add the ability to fly other ships in the mission, if you want them its the kind of things you can do your self quite easily.
Wolfy is bored
Wolfy is tired
Wolfy will bite you

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 08, 2007, 04:49:15 PM »
You will however break multiplayer doing that.

As far as I'm concerned we should add all the TOS ships to the final version whether or not we make missions that use them. With the exception of TOS Galactica they're all canon to the show anyway. All we'd need would be a bunch of TOS weapon systems and we'd be sorted.

Now this is my opinion. I'm not head of this mod so the final decision isn't mine alone. Quite frankly though given the relative ease with which we could fully support TOS not just as nBSG canon (i.e Cylon civil war) but as TOS BSG canon too I see no good reason not to.

Plus it would really stick in the GINO crowd's craw if the best TOS game available was an nBSG game. :D

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 08, 2007, 06:40:54 PM »
I dunno kara that seems to cause a bit of a conundrum.

Well, would we make it stand alone? TOS A) had lasers B) didn't have fancy physics.  I would just wonder if the game might become a might bloated if it carried a whole different weapons roster and separate TOS flight tables.  Making 1CW pure TOS just wouldn't fit seamlessly with NuBSG though.

On the other hand having TOS ships with NuBSG rules would be cool.  The only problem i would see is that 1CW would use a bunch of Nu BSG equipment such as Galactica, BTRL non canon 1CW era ships, MKIIs, ect.  In the end you would have sorta a mash of TOS and TNS which wouldn't make it a pure TOS game.  Stylistically i think that would fit in with RDM's vision of BSG and be a believable in TNS continuity but the TOSers would probably call it heresy.
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 08, 2007, 07:41:26 PM »
The flight physics is the only really issue.

Lasers aren't a problem. We add them to the tables but simply don't enable them for any of the 1CW missions. We'll be on 3.7 by the final release and we'll have 200 weapon slots to deal with. That's plenty for a TOS mod included in the main download. If someone wants to make a TOS mission they simply replace the weapons.

Wolfy

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 08, 2007, 08:24:11 PM »
ahhhhj, i see, i was wandering after what you said earlier

but just to clarify, you meen:
TOS ships acturally still use the same style weapons as the reinvisioned galactica
Lasers are also able to be fit to the craft for 3rd Party/home made missions
We could fit reinvisioned ships with TOS weapons (which sounds quite cool)
Wolfy is bored
Wolfy is tired
Wolfy will bite you

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 08, 2007, 08:53:36 PM »
Basically yes.

Right now the team has no plans to make a 1CW campaign but we're likely to give you the ships so that 3rd party FREDders can do it.

Given the relatively minor effort required to add TOS weapons I'd say that we should do that too. That way any TOS fans can also make missions.

Of course any weapons we include can just as easily be stuck on nBSG ships too. So you can have the Pegasus firing lasers if you so wish.

Wolfy

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 08, 2007, 09:20:40 PM »
however, im guseing seeming basestars fire missiles, which are secondary weapons, they wont be able to have lasers or bullets?

*trys to imagine the basestar fireing bullets* hehehe
Wolfy is bored
Wolfy is tired
Wolfy will bite you

Argentum

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 09, 2007, 04:00:28 PM »
Quote from: karajorma;56784
Okay guys. Here's a chance for you to bounce some ideas around.

The developers have our own thread in the internal for this where we can talk about secret stuff but on this thread I'd like you to post ideas for features you'd like to see in the full game.

Last time we did this someone mentioned having ships that were stealthed until you got within a certain range of them. This is actually quite hard to do in the FS2_Open engine as if you turn stealth on no one can see that ship regardless of the distance and if you turn it off everyone can. However if we have new coders joining us and looking for something to add that's something we wouldn't mind having. :)

So here's your chance to make some suggestions. The cooler and more reasonable the suggestion the better chance we have of finding someone who can code it. Knowledge of FS2 will help but isn't mandatory :)

BTW We'll do this again once the demo is out and you have a better idea what can be done. :)

Perhaps it is asking too much, but would it be possible to fly missions into planets?. That is, from space to the planet atmosphere, perform  a rescue or drop troops, etc.
the game looks great!

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 09, 2007, 05:05:04 PM »
Space to atmosphere transitions are not supported by the engine at the moment. We can do in-atmosphere missions (check out the Shadows of Lylat or Twisted Infinities mods for proof of that) but the transition isn't currently possible.

CamInHead

• aka Roanoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 09, 2007, 08:59:07 PM »
Quote from: StarSlayer;74342
...TOSers....

no need to get rude about it ;)

whatever happened to the original IPAndrews/Killfrenzy/whoever TOS conversion ?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 09, 2007, 09:48:27 PM »
Raptor's running it over on HLP.

Unfortunately he's one of the real GINO hardcases and as such is really not worth working with.

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 09, 2007, 10:12:21 PM »
Quote from: CamInHead;74474
no need to get rude about it ;)

whatever happened to the original IPAndrews/Killfrenzy/whoever TOS conversion ?

Hey Ive watched the originals, and that was before TNS to boot.  Living Legend, Hand of God are pure gold.  Heck i liked most of TOS for what it was.  I've even seen a bit of Galacti...*Heresy Removed* with the time jumping Vi... *Censored*.  Not a whole show mind you, just enough to know  that it was pure crap.:p
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CamInHead

• aka Roanoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 10, 2007, 05:41:21 PM »
Quote from: StarSlayer;74480
...I've even seen a bit of Galacti...*Heresy Removed* with the time jumping Vi... *Censored*.  Not a whole show mind you, just enough to know  that it was pure crap.:p

the one with the flying bikes ?
:no: