Author Topic: A different type of BSG fan fiction series in the works...  (Read 34113 times)

CB2001

• View Profile
A different type of BSG fan fiction series in the works...
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2007, 08:22:13 PM »
I figured I'd give an update on things.

The project has slowed down a bit, mainly due to the Summer Term here at the Universe that I am attending, which I hope to complete.  It's slowed down to the point where I've been considering on abandoning it all together, though I still am not sure what to do.

I've come across the Beta version of a nifty little machinima tool that is similar to "The Movies", but without the Movie Studio simulation aspect.  It's called Movie Storm.   I'm thinking it may be useful in creating several sequences in the story, thought I don't know if it can yet (I've downloaded the Beta version FOC from Movie Storm and have yet to install and try it out).  

That's about it for now.

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2007, 07:57:26 AM »
New updates: School has kept me busy for the past week and finals are just around the corner.

As I've stated in another post, I may have a Simmaker, one who has made three Transformer characters for the Sims 2 game, who may be making a Sim of the Centurion from the old show, the Centurion from the new show, or possibly both.  I do not know when she will get around to it and finish it, but needless to say, she has it listed on her Works in Progress.

Right now, I'm holding an open call for lots that could be use for the series. I am currently looking for a lot of lots that appear as city streets (kinda like the one that I used in the test comic).  I've found one lot that has a bridge, but I am definately looking for anything better.  So, if anyone has a lot that looks like a building that looks like could take place in the "Battlestar Galactica" universe, please put up some pictures in Photobucket and send me the link so I can check it out.

The same goes for any Sims you guys may have that represent the human version of the Cylons (I need the others except for the Model 6 and Model 8, I've got those.  I need the ones for Doral, Brother Cavil, Simon, D'anna (Model 3) and Leobin).

Some details of the storyline have been reconsidered.  For example, instead of the group escape two months after the attacks (which would put their escape being around the time of the events in the "Home" 2-parter), it may be three or four months after the escape (most likely some time during either the "Resurrection Ship" 2-parter or in between the RS 2-parter and "Epiphanies").  That way, it would be a shorter amount of time from the escape by the group to the Cylons abandoning the 12 Colony planets.

Also, there are some things from the old show that will be present in the comic series and may even incorporate some storylines and characters (other than Sheba, who is a part of the main "cast").  There might possibly be a Count Iblis-like character (it could be Iblis or a character similar to him, it may be a him or a her).

I have also considered on seeing if I can get Sims of several actors from the old show for brief "guest appearances" in some flashback scenes.  So, you never know who may pop up.

I have decided that I will eventually open the series to potential story ideas and even fan-made story scripts by other users.  That means, I'm going to have to write out the potential story premises so that users can work from should they feel like it, or even allow them to "pitch" stories.  The reason for this is because I know that not everyone has "The Sims 2" or can buy it with the expansion packs necessary.  And I know that it'd take time for them to download all the Sims, lots, objects and mods for the series.  And, not all users can run "The Sims 2" (I originally couldn't run the game fast enough and with pretty good quality due to the video card I had).  And the only problems I can forsee is that the users write out shots that I cannot create due to the limitations presented with the game and how I attempt to get the shots similar to what they pictured in their head within the game.

I'm still considering if maybe I should have the first two seasons solely take place on Picon instead of it going from Picon to Tauron (though I DO want to take the group to Tauron because of one story idea I have that I like involving John and his old homestead).

I've got an idea on how the story begins and how it might end.  But then again, its about a journey, not a destination.  But I will tell you this: This series WILL have a limited run.  Back during Season 2 (well before the announcement that Season 4 for the actual show would be the last season), I did decide that the comic series would last four "seasons".  However, there is a possibility that the series may end on a fifth "season" instead.  You never know.

That's all for now.

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2007, 12:13:28 AM »
Got some good news and bad news.

Good news: I've recently purchased the Sims 2 EP "Open for Business".

Bad news: After attempt to install the EP the first time, an error occured and the game crashed.  I uninstalled the EP and everything I had for the game (including Sims, objects, lots, etc) was lost.  

What does that mean for the machinima comic book fan fiction series?  That means that I've got to reconstruct/install/download every Sim, lot, object and mod for the game again.  I've already re-installed the game and the EPs (and I've also got OfB installed as well).  Needless to say, this has set me back a bit in re-installing everything (the last backup I did on the files I downloaded was back during the Winter of 2006.  But I'm sure to get back to getting everything back into place and start reconstructing the sets I created and get the cast of Sim characters back in place.  This means that the project is in stall again and looks like it may be over before even getting a chance to start.

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2007, 04:06:17 AM »
Update: I found a prevoius backup copy of the Downloads directory, so I've gotten it back up (but I don't know how old it is, so there may be some downloads I'll need to redo).  I'll have to begin reconstructing the sets I had already completed before (BTW, the ones I had done was the underground bunker that the group is held in and John's apartment.  Which means I've now to go reconstruct the both of them).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:10:30 AM by CB2001 »

Alpha 1

• I am Colossus
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2007, 10:28:55 PM »
Can't you make this for EAW with out the expansion needed?

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2007, 11:18:18 PM »
Um... i think you posted in the wrong thread, this is a BSG web comic for using the Sims, not a BSG mod for Empire at War
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alpha 1

• I am Colossus
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2007, 11:25:26 PM »
Oops.
Can you delete that post and this?

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2007, 04:37:21 AM »
Just figured I'd pop in for a small bit of updates.

I still don't know how far that the user who is making the Cylon Centurion Sims I told you about is progressing in the Sim creation. And I've find a lot on the Exchange for "The Sims 2" that has a suspension bridge (though I don't know if I'll use it due to how it looks).

Also, I've been looking at this game called "CityLife", which appears to be a 3-D version of "SimCity", as a means of creating some of the establishing shots of cities for the series. Plus, I've had some troubles trying to run Movie Storm (every time I run the tutorial, it locks up on me). But I'll figure out what I'm doing eventually.

By the way, remember when I said I plan on featuring an Earth song like how "Along the Watch Tower" is featured in the show? Well, I have a song that I will be using. I won't say who it is and what song it is, but I'll give you a clue: "steps taken forward but sleepwalking back again."  You'll have to figure it out on your own.

I am having some difficulty reconstructing all of the sets I had started on before the brainfart.  Plus, seeing that I am recently graduated, I have to find a job in order to pay rent and whatnot (so, you can already see some of the problems there).

I'm also considering on making a request at several Sims 2 boards to see if I can get a better Grace Park Sim character.  The reason for this is because the Sim that I'm using only looks like her at certain angles (and only when she is not smiling does she look remotely close to her).  But I haven't decided on making the request yet (I will decide eventually).

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2007, 08:55:19 AM »
I know, this isn't much of an update, but I figured it's something. I'm having a timeframe problem which is affecting the series. I'll explain.

As of right now, I have the first season cover a month and a half's worth of time (with the exception of the first few stories, which covers the group members capture within days). Basically, with comparison of the timeframe to the actual show, the "Great Escape" story arch (which covers 9 hour period) currently occurs during "Home, Part 2" (when the group finally escapes, it's most likely moments before the RTF find the Tomb of Athena).

Now, here's the issue: I have have the second "season" occur during the last half of Season 2 of the actual show. When the first story starts, taking place two weeks after the group's escape, the events co-incide with "Flight of the Phoenix". Which means that by the time "Season 2" of the fic series is complete, the timeline of the comic would stop somewhere in between "Black Market" and "Scar". I want to co-incide the events of the comic with that of the show (which means that by the end of "Season 2", the Cylon's abandoning the planets would be occuring). Now, there's only four possible solutions I can think of in order to make things fit.

1. Pushing the timeframe of the escape to a later time (making the group escape around the time of "Flight of the Phoenix" instead of "Home, Part 2")

2. Add in three additional comics to each "season", changing the number of the comics from 9 to 12 per "season".

3. Add more 2 or 3 more "seasons" to the series run (I always had intended for there to be four seasons, even back when I began think about doing the comics, which was when the first part of Season 2 of the actual show was being broadcasted back in Fall 2005. By adding more "seasons", it will add in more space for me to work with for the timeline and eventually fit the overall story into the show's overall run).

4. Cut out stories that expand on the characters (this would include the first three stories of the first "season", and just having the first story cover the breaking out. The drawback would be that you wouldn't know anything about the characters enough to care about them).

So, as you can see, though I'm working on the "set" lots for the series, I'm still having some problems. Any suggestions/opinions on this are welcome.

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2007, 02:16:24 AM »
Any opinions on what to do with the timeline are welcome.  :)

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2007, 08:21:53 PM »
New Update: The user I told you about, the one that might have been making the Centurions, has informed me that she had decided to put the project aside.  The problem is that when it comes to the new Centurions, what is required is several blank spaces, in which requires editing of the alpha maps for the Sim.  She is unable to complete it because of not knowing how to edit these maps.  So, new Centurions may not be featured after all.  :(

Plus, I'd still like to get some opinions on the timeline problem I'm having, whenever you all can.  :D

That's about it for now.  I know, it's small, but it's better than nothing.

Ryu

• Ryu
    • View Profile
Graphics and Games.
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2007, 09:26:54 PM »
It's interesting to take on a 3-D approach to this game.  It would be best to be reminded of the tough competition out there in the world.  Remember, Halo 3, Gears of War, and others are taking things way more further than any other games to date so far in a 3-D perspective in the gaming industry.  What I liked most in this gaming demo is the graphics.  Stick to the graphic levels, game play, and expectations "1st".  Worry about the FREDs, Interfacing, and possible Videos "2nd".  Because knowing how games are rated are mostly on graphics, and game play, then story/blending of the genre, . . . in that order.  The more better they are, the more people will play and remember these games to be one of the "Greats".  (Since this is more of flight simulator, Sega's Afterburner is one that started this genre)

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2007, 12:23:26 AM »
Quote from: Ryu;79370
It's interesting to take on a 3-D approach to this game.  It would be best to be reminded of the tough competition out there in the world.  Remember, Halo 3, Gears of War, and others are taking things way more further than any other games to date so far in a 3-D perspective in the gaming industry.  What I liked most in this gaming demo is the graphics.  Stick to the graphic levels, game play, and expectations "1st".  Worry about the FREDs, Interfacing, and possible Videos "2nd".  Because knowing how games are rated are mostly on graphics, and game play, then story/blending of the genre, . . . in that order.  The more better they are, the more people will play and remember these games to be one of the "Greats".  (Since this is more of flight simulator, Sega's Afterburner is one that started this genre)

Ryu- I think you've misinterpreted what this is.  This post is for a machinima comic book fan fiction series based in the universe of the new "Battlestar Galactica" series, which uses "The Sims 2" (with several EPs), "The Movies" (with "Stunts and Effects) and possibly other games to be featured later.  Basically, it is a comic book series that utilizes machinima (making one form of media from the use of a video game or a real-time 3-D graphics engine) to help create a storytelling medium (examples include "Red vs. Blue" (made with "Halo" and "Halo 2") sitcom).  This is not meant to be for a game, but a new way of showing fan fiction stories.

Ryu

• Ryu
    • View Profile
My Sincere Apologies.
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2007, 07:13:51 AM »
Sorry, I thought these ideas was going into the game.  I like the idea that a story that you can follow along side the Battlestar Galactica T.V. Series with the Game would be awesome because there is so much to tell.  But, since this is a fan-based video to tell great stories about the BSG Universe, that is even better.  I enjoy reading and watching other stories that are not mainstream media.  Like for Star Wars, Rogue Squadron, Warhammer, BattleTech, etc, to name a few.  That would be great to include BSG too along side the Greats in Sci-Fi.  I hope you guys pull it off.  Good Luck.  :yes:

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2007, 05:13:10 PM »
Quote from: Ryu;79407
Sorry, I thought these ideas was going into the game.  I like the idea that a story that you can follow along side the Battlestar Galactica T.V. Series with the Game would be awesome because there is so much to tell.  But, since this is a fan-based video to tell great stories about the BSG Universe, that is even better.  I enjoy reading and watching other stories that are not mainstream media.  Like for Star Wars, Rogue Squadron, Warhammer, BattleTech, etc, to name a few.  That would be great to include BSG too along side the Greats in Sci-Fi.  I hope you guys pull it off.  Good Luck.  :yes:

It's no problem.  You're definately not the first user to confuse my machinima comic book fan fiction series with a game.

Right now, I am reconstructing the sets for the series (due to the fact that when I installed the "Open for Business" EP, it wiped out all of my downloads and saved games) and I am trying to pin down that timeline problem I have.  But I do hope to get the series up and running.  :)