Author Topic: A different type of BSG fan fiction series in the works...  (Read 20103 times)

CB2001

• View Profile
A different type of BSG fan fiction series in the works...
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 11:12:25 AM »
I figured I'd let you guys know that I am considering on posting two pages from the test comic I'm working on. One will be made of screencaps from the episodes and one of them will be one of the sequences that involves screencaps from "The Sims 2" and"The Movies". If I do, they will be two seperate JPEG files and not the PDF format I promised (I want to save the full comic for the PDF file, with all pages done).

Imperator

• Imperator has conquered!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cylonbase.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 11:41:01 AM »
Super! :yes:
"Reality is Cylon technology obviously outstrips our own."

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 11:55:36 AM »
Quote from: Imperator;56729
Super! :yes:
I must warn everybody, the story that is being told for the test comic may not be at all great (heck, the second scene literally starts at the morgue scene from "Sacrifice").  TBH, I'm literally making it up as I go along (but I'm making it up within a predefined timeline I have had in my head, but never got around to writing out).  I'll post later on with the two pages (now I'm trying to figure out which page of the "live action" portions I'm going to post).

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 02:09:20 AM »
Here are the two pages from the test comic that is in the works.  Note: The narrator of this particular story is Laura Roslin, so when you see the caption boxes, they are Roslin's narration.  Also, I have made some changes in dialogue but it was after these images were made.  Plus, there are still several other changes to be made, so what you see may not be set in stone.  I hope these make your mouth water.  :)

The first one is meant to be the beginning of a dream sequence:

The second is made from screencaps from the three box sets.  Note: Black and white images are meant to be flashback.  I figured I'd point that out, seeing that the first panel starts with a black and white image.

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 08:12:55 AM »
Hey everyone.  I'd like to know what your opinions are about the questions I posed in Post #11.  I'm not trying to rush anyone, but I'd like to know your opinions and your feedback will be helpful in developing certain ideas for the series.  Thank you for your time.  :D

Crosshair

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 04:50:14 PM »
Quote from: Scotchy;56402
THAT'S a spanking!
Put me in line for the paddle, I haaaaaaated Half Life 2.  :)

Prometheus

• 181st Fighter Wing
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bakercw.blogspot.com
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 06:01:28 PM »
Quote from: Crosshair;57245
Put me in line for the paddle, I haaaaaaated Half Life 2.  :)

Explain your heresy.
The world spins around on the wheel of time. A wheel which recently broke of it\'s axle. A wheel which is currently careening through space about to land in the big sea known as reality. Warning: Impact may cause mild discomfort in the cerebral region. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your flight.

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 04:34:36 AM »
I myself am not knocking on "Half-Life 2".  I've seen a couple of good machinima made with it.  It's just that I do not have the necessary skills to use that particular engine.  It's a sweet game from what I've seen footage and screencaps of, but I don't know if I would be able to play it.

Crosshair

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 05:47:01 AM »
Quote from: Prometheus;57251
Explain your heresy.
To me it seemed like every single level of the game was "Hey quick come with me!  Okay go here and do this, no time to explain JUST GO!!  Why would you need an explanation about what the hell is going on, just GO GO GO!!"

Too much time spent in vehicles and such.  Sure it was a very pretty game and it had it's moments but ultimately as a single player experience it was a complete failure to me.  I NEED to know SOMETHING about what's going on with the story.  I didn't play the first game and part 2 had like ZERO exposition and never bothered to actually FILL YOU IN.

In the end I never even finished it because it seemed like there was an interesting story in there and they were hiding it from the player on purpose.  All it did was aggrivate me and I got to a point where I thought "Why am I even bothering?"

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 06:01:38 AM »
But doesn't the expansion packs help out with filling in a story?

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 06:19:07 AM »
So you're saying that if we want to get the full experience/explanation, we have to pay more money?
No.

My complaints about Half Life 2 are too numerous to mention. Suffice to say, the game was an abysmal failure for me, as was it's delivery method, and I will never, ever buy a product from Valve again, nor will I ever use Steam to purchase any of my games.
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 06:28:51 AM »
Any game that requires you to be hooked up to the Internet in order to play single player deserves to be smote with divine sarcasm (i bought this last summer thinking i would play it while staying at my grand parents without Internet, boy was i mistaken :P)

anyway lets steer this unwieldy bastard back on course.  I'm guessing the use of screenies is a stopgap until the Sims medium is complete?  I just ask because after this:
http://www.fiveminute.net/bsg/comic.php?ep=mini&page=1

and this:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/RaymondShaw/BattlestarEmasculata.gif

i can no longer take that style of BSG webcomic seriously without thinking some punch line is a coming.  So if your eventually planning to do all Sims stuff then it looks interesting, cuz right i no longer posses the self control to read modified screenie style.  Not much to go on story-wise with only two pages, but considering i thought she was with Aydar Roslin musta been looser then she lets on.  All in all id say it has potential especially if your planning to do an all Sims format
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tikey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 08:41:22 AM »
. I NEED to know SOMETHING about what's going on with the story. I didn't play the first game and part 2 had like ZERO exposition and never bothered to actually FILL YOU IN.

Well, any second part is hard to understand if you don't know the first one.
As I see it, one of the best things of Half-Life 2 is its narrative style, you know what your character knows, which is actually nothing that has happened since the final of the first game. And as every other character, asumes logically that you were around all those years doesn't see the point in explaining something you should already know.
I found it particulary intresting trying to piece together what happened in game all those years by listening to people chatting, looking at news clippings at wall, etc.

CB2001

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 08:50:10 AM »
StarSlayer-  The only story that will include any screencaps will be the test comic, "All We've Left Behind" (to which a majority of the tale is composed of screencaps from various episodes with two sequences done in Sims format).  Do not worry, the test comic is trying to show a very serious straight forward story (no jokes involved) and is my attempt to better understand the Comic Book Creator program better.  I have thought about including screencaps in the actual comics throughout the fic series (to show incidents of the cause (in fic series)/effect (in the show) theme that I had been planned for the series), but I may avoid it seeing that if you dislike the idea than it'd be best to avoid it for the over-all run of the series.

Of course, in the test comic, we get an idea about who John Coba was to Laura Roslin (hint, the questions I posted on the first page, to which I had hoped to receive feedback on, gives this connect away, but is still ambiguous about the particulars of how connected the Roslin/Coba relationship really is.

BTW (a small trivia detail)- The word "coba" is Russian for "Owl".  During the initial development of the idea, to which names were being decided on, I was watching the movie Russian silent movie "Strike", to which there was a spy character named "The Owl" (they had a picture of him with the Russian word written on it).  So, I thought it'd be interesting to use the word "Coba" as John's last name (Ironically enough, in my Classical Mythology class a few months afterwards, I found out that the owl is suppose to have been the sacrid animal of Athena.  Even more ironic, before I began to attend the class, I decided that the name of John's home town would be "Pallas", which is connected to Athena.  And this was WAY before Helo's Sharon got the call sign of Athena.  How more ironic can you get when you have a character, who has/had a girlfriend who is a Model 8 Cylon, whose last name is Owl in Russian, and comes from a town called Pallas, and events of the show sort of co-incide with the events on the actual show unintentially?).  It's a small world after all. :)

Tikey- That's kinda like how F.E.A.R. does its story line.  You start off knowing not a whole lot, but through flashback sequences and paranormal encounters, you sort of piece the whole thing together.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 08:55:10 AM by CB2001 »

Crosshair

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 03:13:38 AM »
Quote from: CB2001;57306
Tikey- That's kinda like how F.E.A.R. does its story line.  You start off knowing not a whole lot, but through flashback sequences and paranormal encounters, you sort of piece the whole thing together.

See I loved FEAR because as the game progressed I felt like I knew more and more.  HL2 I just got more and more confused and lost.