Author Topic: PS help  (Read 1508 times)

Xenu

• View Profile
PS help
« on: February 15, 2005, 09:57:25 PM »
Hey guys,
Xenu here from http://www.GalacticaStation.com & the sci-fi boards.  been checking out the project & it looks very cool.  I'm pretty handy w' Photoshop & maybe I could lend a hand with some stuff.  I'm usually too busy in rl to get involved heavily in projects like this, butI have some downtime over the next few weeks so i should be able to contribute some.  I'll try to make the meeting on friday or you can e-mail me at xenu@galacticastation.com or just stop by the forums.  Thanks! :yes:
-X

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
PS help
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 10:25:08 PM »
Hello and welcome! The friday meeting was last week.... didn't happen anyway... 2 people in a chat room could hardly be considered meeting.

The textures of the Viper have been deemed "too new and shiny". The Galactica has been occupying my time for thast week. I don't have time to do hardcore texture detailing.

I can provide you with the current texturemap to mess around with. See what you can do to "beef it up" a bit. The file has various parts of the ship cut up and all arranged in a way that makes sense to the 3d program I use.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 10:31:17 PM by Omniscaper »

Xenu

• View Profile
PS help
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 10:53:38 PM »
Sounds good...send it over & lemme know what you're looking for & I'll see what i can do!
-X :yes:

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
PS help
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 11:09:11 PM »
Basically the goal is to turn this:

into this:

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
PS help
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 11:27:52 PM »

Xenu

• View Profile
PS help
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 06:53:27 AM »
Ok, here's my first try, hope I didn't tie any layers together that weren't supposed to be...and I couldn't really tell where the texture began & ended, so to speak, but tell me what you think.
Viperdamaged.rar

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
PS help
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 07:59:42 AM »
"Leutenant!!! What have you done to my Viper?!!" -Chief Tyrrel

Wow. Talk about a fubar-ed Viper.

Begin Critique:

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
PS help
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 08:24:17 AM »
Ok, I was expecting a weathered Viper. It was probably difficult to work on a texture not knowing where object borderlines were, but all in all, you kicked ass.

The good:

I love the subtle burns and scratches you made along the fuselage. Its very convincing. There are alot of areas where the weathering looks natural and expected. Especially the craters(*) The key to this success is sublety.

The bad:

(*)The shiny underlayer of you craters get cartoony. Ship looks like its bleeding motor oil! :) I believe black would be sufficient, considering the subtle build up in the craters kick ass up to the point of that shiny greasy goo. Don't rely too much on PS's generic texture library. If you're gonna use it, layer the sucker to the point of non-recognition and realism.

:End Critique

I know I've said more under the bad list, but the good list is what screams in my head. The bad list just piles with improvement tips. You definitly got the skillz. I may use a severely damaged version of the Viper model in the teaser campaign as a survivor of the holocaust

I'll get you internal access to our forums, so you can keep tabs on the latest progress.

I'll give you another texture with the wireframe of the model overlayed, to guide you. See what you can do for an in between clean and fubar'ed stage.

Think about the places where mechanical wear and tear would appear (like engine intakes, afterburners, thrusters, nose, etc) and DEFINITELY keep the scruffs and burns. If you need reference, checkout the episode "Act of Contrition" , the episode when Starbuck's training session is intereupted by raiders. Take a close watch at her Viper.

Keep up the good work!!!

Xenu

• View Profile
PS help
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 08:38:07 AM »
Hey, dont worry about the critique...I realize this is my first time doing this, after all ;).  I can definitely give it a more weathered & beaten look than battle-damaged; for some reason battle scars is just the impression I got...a wire frame would probably help greatly with painting, sounds good.  I'll see what I can come up with on it tommorow & let you check it out....please, dont be adverse to telling me exactly what your looking for, cus for now at least, I cant see it in-game & you can.  How are you viewing them, btw; as models in a 3D program or in the game engine, or both?  And can I just download the source & be able to view them in-game myself?  Sorry for all the questions ;)

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
PS help
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 11:43:37 AM »
I posted some ingame shots of your efforts at the HLP forums, Xenu. It looked better than I anticipated under the game engine.

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=628202#post628202

Turambar

• Hand of God
    • View Profile
PS help
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 12:39:58 PM »
*weeps as someone else is doing the job he wanted to do*

just make sure you make the maneuvering thrusters properly grimy *sniffle* and have less individually recognizable scars, it'll look odd if all the vipers have that same big hole.  and actually go in and create the exposed stuff underneath the armor.  Wherever a plate is missing on the basic texture, use the stuff underneath as a basis and create your own, repeating textures are bad

Edit: and make sure we cant see your brushstrokes, i just noticed that
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 01:12:09 PM by Turambar »

Xenu

• View Profile
PS help
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 10:08:10 PM »
Saw the pics in-game...looks like that sucker wouldn't even fly 8).  I'll get started on the weathered pass in a bit...

Xenu

• View Profile
PS help
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 03:11:48 AM »
Alrighty, here's a little more weather-version.....in fact, tell me if its TOO subtle; I'll weather it up some more.

http://www.patrickdavie.com/xenu/Viperdamaged.rar

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
PS help
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 04:09:15 AM »
Hey Turambar, theres much work wo go around. I will DEFINITELY need help texturing the galactica. The textures I used before, really sucks at close range. The Galactica will be divided into 6 textures (not including landing bay interiors.) with LOD-0.

Turambar

• Hand of God
    • View Profile
PS help
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 12:43:24 PM »
well, i'll see if i can sneak around the parentals and make some.
so theres
  -armor plating (a tile)
  -dark gray area between ribs (tiled)
  -runway
  -landing bay interior
  -big BSG symbol (maybe a decal?)
  -engines
thats six
i think i'll cut and paste from reference pictures, then hi-resify and detail
you'll want shines and env's too, but i dont really see galactica as shiny, so i'll just make it really dim reflection, so it just picks up the color.  and the hangar interior will need a glowmap too (for what i have in mind)

methinks the launch tubes might need a texture too, but that'll be an easy repeating one.  Do you think the interior of the tube can be glowpointed, that'd give a great effect