Author Topic: a little something...  (Read 15714 times)

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 10:56:49 AM »
...and another double-post, thank to the picture-limit. :-/

A few recent pics of the new Aurora (yep, the green one ;) ) :

First, a look from and into the inside :-) :
[ATTACH]3483[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3482[/ATTACH]
(I cut some bars out for the outside pic, so one can see the whole cockpit interior - which is, as I must admit, not too much right now... I'll add some pipes and some more consoles later on)

Second, the engine section:
[ATTACH]3480[/ATTACH]

Third, some general views:
[ATTACH]3478[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3479[/ATTACH]
I added some more engines (reason: see below), and those two white boxes are going to be additional missilebanks - once I figure out how I want them to look, that is...

And lastly a somewhat older pic - @The Trivial Psychic: Yep, from that angle and at that point of the design process, I too thought it looked more like a shuttle ;-) ... but with the recently added engines it looks much better I think (see above)
[ATTACH]3481[/ATTACH]

As for other things, here are some effects (left - Reaper, right - Photon) I made for WCS which they propably no longer use.
(well, maybe a derivative of the Photon one, but I don't know; and that derivative was so reduced in resolution that it'd be a shame to hold the original back because of it... :-/   - But I'd really need to install their demo finally, both to see how it got, and to see what they are currently using... sadly my PC doesn't seem to be too fond of FS so I'll wait a little while with that and see to get some virtualization software running)
[ATTACH]3484[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3485[/ATTACH]

That's it for now... I hope the WCS crew has no problems with the WC-stuff I posted here. If they do, of course it'll be removed - be it by me or by an admin. If they don't, though, you can use those two effects in your mods, as long as you give credit :-) .

Else then that, I hope you like my pics/models... And as said at the start, please leave some feedback :) .

[edit: Oops, I forgot these two:
[ATTACH]3486[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3487[/ATTACH]
The first one is a try to add a third arm to the Lucifer, like it has in the concept-pics. Sadly trueSpace corrupted it's UV-mapping :-/ . Well, eventually I'll try it again (just remembered that I don't NEED to connect that arm to the main geometry - oops)...
The second one shows a slight texture improvement I made for the Dragon and the Pegasus. The Dragon is outdated by now as at that point I didn't know of the higher-res FS1 textures; anyway I only made the cockpit darker so one really does notice it (the cockpit). As for the Pegasus, I replaced it's cockpit texture with that from it's tech render - I really was shocked at how much more real it looks with that... :nervous: :cool1: ]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 11:11:19 AM by Mav »
Location: Shivan Fleet, Interstellar Space... now you\'d like to know between WHICH stellar systems, wouldn\'t you? :ha: ;) :devel:

(only joking, of course - estimates are always welcome, though people should know they\'re just that :) )

takashi

• View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 05:40:32 PM »
the improvent to the dragon was needed. but theres already an HTL pegasus ready for download. also, nice ship with the aura. it looks like a fighterbomber/dropship.

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 05:41:59 AM »
Interesting ships...biggest C&C I can say is that most of them are very flat though - it's space, you can make them all sorts of shapes - don't forget to utilize the Z axis. :)
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

takashi

• View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 11:00:34 PM »
flat=harder to hit from behind

think dogfighting against the pegasus without stealth. its still hard to hit (given the shields are as tightly wrapped around the fighter as they should be)

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 12:37:37 AM »
Yes...but they're also stupid easy to hit from above or below, due to the wide surface area.
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

takashi

• View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2007, 02:02:36 AM »
the only true ship desing is a small twig with guns.

Jayge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 02:19:40 AM »
The 'needler'.

Callsign: BSG9_Seraph
Squadron Leader, Chimaera Squadron

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 12:55:51 AM »
Quote from: takashi;74423
the only true ship desing is a small twig with guns.

Wrong. It's a point with guns :ha: ;) . Though it'd be pretty hard to get a pilot into it... :lol:

Oh, and there should also be a high-poly Dragon available since a while... I made those texture improvements  ( only texture, so I anyway wouldn't compare it with the HTL-models )  quite a while ago (2 years maybe?); they're kinda outdated :-( .

@Unknown Target:

I know the issue... I really like the FS-"spacy" look of ships that somewhat resemble planes, but actually have much thicker wings - I just don't get any good ideas for it, sadly :-( . Thus I'll have to make do with what I do have ideas for.
Btw., I did change the new Aurora so it fits better. It's just that the general concept with those "pre-wings" (the plates besides the cockpit) makes it kinda hard to implement it well... :sigh:
But don't think I'm Khan from Star Trek 2... I do know that space has 3 dimensions ;o) .
And takashi's right - as the Shivan that I am :devel: , I've now and again tried to chase down a few Nightwings... they're really damned hard to hit from behind  (the pics don't really show just how flat they really are); and as I've made them quite fast and nimble too ( not too much, but more fitting to a light fighter then to a heavy one ), its not that easy to get a better vector on them...

Btw. - "Inspired by Cylons"...? Rofl ;o) . Though, lemmesee... maybe there really is something us' (meaning the Shivans) can learn from them?? The idea of EMP-beams I got yesterday might be a start for this... ;oD  (just hope it'll work)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 01:01:12 AM by Mav »
Location: Shivan Fleet, Interstellar Space... now you\'d like to know between WHICH stellar systems, wouldn\'t you? :ha: ;) :devel:

(only joking, of course - estimates are always welcome, though people should know they\'re just that :) )

takashi

• View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 01:02:41 AM »
actualy, current spacecraft rely on the ability to get un and out of an atmosphere safely. the only ships you should give crazy desings are:

installations (built in space, so go crazy)
destroyers(see above)
corvettes(go crazy or make it conventional)
cruisers(same as corvettes)
transports(same as corvettes)
bombers(go crazy. their made in space, usuualy aboard destroyers.)
space superiorty fighters(they have to carry lots of ordanance and still be manueverable)

any ships you should try to keep conventional are:
intercepor fighters
recon craft
stealth fighters

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 01:19:22 AM »
Nice opinion :) .

But as always, such things are left to the modder's discretion ;) :p .
Personally, I like the idea about piloting a fighter that's also able to enter an atmosphere, but on the other hand I have to admit that
1) space is quite large and planets are mostly tiny blobs in it that you'll usually only see from afar; and
2) Shivans are not at all interested in planets ('xcept wiping the odd homeworld... ;o) ) so you're even less likely to be near a planet when fighting Shivans (or being one :devel: ).

And thus, as all those fighters and bombers are most likely to nearly never get near a planet - or at least only very rarely -, it's technically the best idea to optimize most of them for space-only combat. But, as FS teaches us "expect the unexpected" (like most [good] Science Fiction does), it'd be wise to also have some atmosphere-capable craft ready in case you should need them (e.g. to guard evacuations from a planet under heavy attack - uh, ... some planet called "Vasuda Prime" maybe? ;o) ).

So - keep it in your mod(s) as you wish :) , but I really think :V: was good off at making the FS1 and FS2 craft almost entirely space-optimized :-) .

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 03:32:48 AM »
Hi. :-) .

First, as someone requested it over at HLP, I packaged the Fireclaw (Pegasus Reskin) :

[ATTACH]3565[/ATTACH]

Also, I remembered that I already had uploaded some files elsewhere:

1) the texture improvements: http://sectorgame.com/f2s/downloads.php?action=category&id=16

2) a reworked FS1-style explosion ani  (not that it would really still be needed, given the 3D-shockwaves we have nowadays...)  : http://sectorgame.com/f2s/downloads.php?action=category&id=8

3) the Nightwing also was uploaded to F2S, but they seem to have deleted it... I'll re-upload it elsewhere shortly.

4) a new multiplayer mission idea (was uploaded to the HLP download section which seems to have been removed - the whole section, I mean :eek2: ) - dogfighting in the midst of a REAL battle. Now will you try to score, or rather help your side gain an advantage in the battle? ;)   This I'll also re-upload soon (i.e. within the next 3 to 7 weeks... :nervous: well, I AM slow with this, sorry).

Finally, I also continued work on the Inferno a bit... though I have to admit, the previous shots were made up from only one half of the model, the other half wasn't so far yet (though the combined version I showed exported to .pof nicely, it might show up some not-so-nice lighting issues...).
So I started resolving that and while thus symmetrizing the model I stumbled above the following  (first pic - completed side; second pic - "accident")  :

[ATTACH]3563[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3564[/ATTACH]

Now I'm somewhat unsure how to continue, as this "accident" does look quite good, I think - though maybe a bit too Terran.
So, could you please give some feedback as to what you do think about this? Thanks in advance :) .

takashi

• View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 06:26:54 PM »
looking nice. have you thought of using that fs1 explosion as a 3d shockwave texture?

on another note...what are you doing about the HUD and interface?

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 07:33:57 PM »
No, haven't tried to yet - but then I'd think it might not be too compatible with the UV-mapping of those models... but maybe I'll try when I'm using 3D-shockwaves more often (I'm currently not using ANY MediaVP... *ooops* :blah: )

And what do you mean with hud and interface? What should I be doing to them in your opinion? Besides specifying some valid animations for them to prevent errors (and making some of the simpler ones)...

OK, I made a complete tech-ani for the Kilrathi Paktahn bomber once, but it was a real pain to make, and by now we anyway have the SCP-option to just use the model itself for them, so it isn't too likely that I'll make many more of them...

Besides, I dug out the .zip I assembled for the Nightwing when I first uploaded it to F2S about a year ago, here it is: STVsF Nightwing  v0.9 :biggrin1:
(as in the other thread, this link does NOT lead directly to the file, but instead to a webpage where the actual download-link will be shown after a minute of waiting ["looking at the ads"], as the filehost is ad-sponsored)

Also, I put 1 and a half starwars-themed models together this weekend, namely for one I started to make what I envisioned the Chiss Clawcraft to look like when I first read the books they were first mentioned in (this is the "half" model, as the wings/panels are still missing) - as it was compared to a TIE Defender there, and I also quite like that ship (having played Tie Fighter a bit TOO much... ;) ), it'll look more like a heavily modified T/D and not very much like the actual images of the Clawcraft that you can find on the covers of more recent books, as well as on the net.
The second model is a sort of streamlined/futuristic Stardestroyer, that doesn't have much details yet, but as the general shape is mostly completed, I hereby upload a few images of it :D :
[ATTACH]3581[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3582[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3583[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3584[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3585[/ATTACH]

It's supposed to be between 3 and 5.5 kilometers long, and has a bit of... functional resemblance to something starwars-fans might know as the "Eclipse" :naughty: ;o) , while being producable in larger numbers... *Devel*
Also, as you might have noticed, it has a few more shieldgenerators then the usual SD to reduce certain weaknesses... The imperial ship designers learned the hard way to think about such things, believe me (and I really mean the HARD way - this ship isn't related to the rather friendly General Pellaeon, you see...) .

If anyone has ideas about what sort of details to add to it, I could need some... :-)

Oh, and the assorted "main craft" I also do have an idea about, but I'll first have to think about how to realize it in tS... :-)
(oh, and being planned to span a length of about 200 km, the detailing of that will certainly prove to be a viable NIGHTMARE...)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:01:24 PM by Mav »

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 11:25:11 PM »
...uhh, it seems I'm still alive so far :nervous: .

Had trouble with my PC, lots to do for Real Life (tm) ;) , and also some other games I'm interested in / modding.

Some progress has however been made, as follows:

-the Havoc's revamp has improved, especially the turrets are now done, leaving the missileboxes to do

-the Inferno has progressed quite a bit - it's symmetric now as planned, and in response to Trivial Psychic's objection, I've broken up the surface quite a bit...

-the as of yet unnamed stardestroyer has gotten a medium-sized "brother" with some rudimentary hangars cut into it

[edit: Just uploaded the Nightwing and Fireclaw again, this time at freespacemods.net :) .]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:53:14 PM by Mav »

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 01:28:04 AM »
As this is on-topic and my own thread so to say, I hope the admins won't ban me for necromancing it... :shaking:

Anyway, freespaceking just awoke me from my one-year long FS-slumber, which mostly had the same reasons as posted above, though additionally my FS-install stopped accepting the "-mod" argument, which pretty much scared me as that PC is pretty unstable to some games anyway... :nervous:
And I also had quite some trouble with my internet-connection AND setting up a new (used) internet-PC since the old one finally retired after 7 years of brave service ;) (including lots of updates of course, I guess the floppy drive might have been the only part I never exchanged) .

Now that I've installed FS2 on my secondary PC, and also finally broken up the SB inferno to use tS's mirror-modeler (which wasn't there in tS4, which I used for most of the Inferno's development cycle) , there should be at least a little more progress.
Not too much though, as there still is RL, and I also recently started a mod for Space Empires V and also started playing Sword of the Stars...

Now, as for updates:
I admittedly haven't done much FS-related during the last year, but at least my Jalkehi got a preliminary texture that I'm somewhat happy with, considering it's my first try at a self-painted texture - it will still need lots of detailing, though.
(sorry, the pics for that still are on my other PC, but I hope it won't take me a year this time to get them over)

And after mentioning the "breaking up" above, it admittedly wasn't that great of me to haven't posted the pics yet :nervous: ... So here you go, and please give feedback on it:

Current state of the model:
[ATTACH]4900[/ATTACH]
A look at its' silhouette from front and slightly right-below:
[ATTACH]4901[/ATTACH]
A look at the backside - not much done here yet:
[ATTACH]4902[/ATTACH]
And finally, the in my impression so far best looking screen with preliminary texture:
[ATTACH]4903[/ATTACH]

I also at some point finished the missile-tubes of the Aurora:
[ATTACH]4904[/ATTACH]
... and a short look into its' cockpit from outside:
[ATTACH]4905[/ATTACH]

As for Wing Commander ships, I started a Bloodfang Mk. I (the coloured thingy in the background is just a reference-screenshot from WC2, pasted onto a simple cube) :
[ATTACH]4906[/ATTACH]
... and a Shok'lar, though that one isn't very far yet (actually, it was my test at tS metaballs or some feature like that, and ended up having some disconnected polygons - yep, you can make them out pretty clearly in the pic) - the coloured thingy is a comparison-screenshot again, this time from WCArmada:
[ATTACH]4907[/ATTACH]

I also made a slightly larger version of my Stardestroyer, a bit more sleek, with a lot more hangars and a few... let's call them emitters :devel: (you know, slightly larger versions of these are on a well-known space-soccerball ;) ) :
[ATTACH]4908[/ATTACH]
And, finally, a pic of my would-be-200km-ship (the blue triangles are Executor-sketches, and if you look closely, you'll see the sketched version of an imperial-class SD as a white triangle - the sketched TIE-Fighter isn't visible, sadly ; maybe I should post a separate pic for that one...)   :
[ATTACH]4909[/ATTACH]
Note that this also was my first try at imitating special effects from within tS, for eventually making cutscenes one day... :nervous: It didn't work out too well, though :( .

So, have a happy sunday, thanks :) .

[end of translation of Shivan transmission :mad2: ]

#####*****%%%&&..**;;--_
--------///??++++
....________,,,,::::::"""

... ;)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:33:28 AM by Mav »