Author Topic: a little something...  (Read 15878 times)

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« on: January 23, 2007, 05:36:41 PM »
Well, time to break radio silence, I guess. Here's a bit of my work so far...:

"Nightwing" heavy stealth fighter
 - sadly, my only ship so far that I'd assume finished (more or less). You should be able to judge it's story-background based on its textures...

on the top viewed in Modelview, on the bottom in some SCP-build
[ATTACH]3106[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3107[/ATTACH]

"Inferno" Shivan beam bomber
 - wip since late 2002 *ouch* :( So no, I hadn't heard of the Inferno mod or the SB Vindhyachal when I started and named it.
It's a *little* something for us Shivans to toy around with... no unnerving Colossi anymore :devel: ;) .
As you might guess, its rear section isn't finished, as is the beam array :/ .

top - concept art; bottom - current state of progress
[ATTACH]3108[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3109[/ATTACH]

So far, then. I hope some of you like these :) .

Sadly, progress is very slow on my side... :( I also have some other models under developement, but these 2 are the furthest (and the Inferno is the one I'll currently try to work on if I get the time and motivation) .
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:19:55 PM by Mav »
Location: Shivan Fleet, Interstellar Space... now you\'d like to know between WHICH stellar systems, wouldn\'t you? :ha: ;) :devel:

(only joking, of course - estimates are always welcome, though people should know they\'re just that :) )

takashi

• View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 10:56:48 PM »
i like these ships. i want to fly them :).

and then again, im suburb when moddeling with shivan and cylon desings. need some help?

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 11:37:19 PM »
Quote from: takashi;54891
i like these ships. i want to fly them.

and then again, im suburb when moddeling with shivan and cylon desings. need some help?

Uh, thanks :) . Btw. - did you mean you're "superb", or what??

The first one is ready, so to say. I'd still need to cut it outta my mod-tables and put it in .tbms, though, as well as find a place to upload it to.

As far as the second one goes - well, thanks - but the modeling at least I want to finish myself. Though if I get that far, someone could take making the texture(s) for it as I don't have much experience with 2D-programs; except for cutting and pasting in Corel PhotoPaint - which is how the first one got its texture.
I got a full version of Paint Shop Pro 7 with a magazine-cd however, but I'd still need to learn how to use it, and currently don't have time for that. (there was a nice tutorial from a Starwars-mod somewhere, though. Well, first I'll have to finish those models...)

As I said, the Inferno has been under developement for a really long time, and I'd really like to finally bring it in-game (and fly it, of course - I'm a Shivan, for proof look left of my posts ;) ) - I'll try to finish it in the coming 2-5 months. I have to make some diploma-tests at university in the meantime, though, so, well.... :nervous: look at my sig about what I think of release dates ;) .  
(I still like watching the old Machina Terra trailer, it has a nice atmosphere - just that that totally breaks down at the end when I have to burst out laughing about "to be released end 2001" or whatever it exactly says there...)

Oh, wait... a Shivan at a university? Poor Professors...  ;)
Location: Shivan Fleet, Interstellar Space... now you\'d like to know between WHICH stellar systems, wouldn\'t you? :ha: ;) :devel:

(only joking, of course - estimates are always welcome, though people should know they\'re just that :) )

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 11:49:54 PM »
Oh well, while I'm at it...

GTVA medium stealth fighter Aurora; thought to be the predecessor of the Nightwing, story-wise:
[ATTACH]3110[/ATTACH]

Modeling-wise it's far superior, though. Errm... the Nightwing actually has about 48 polygons... :shaking:
On the Aurora I even started to model a cockpit - which is the main point (in addition to some geometry cleanup, you might notice that it's not yet perfectly symmetric) why its not yet ready to be textured.

So that's most of what I have so far... else, there are 3 or 4 very crappy alpha versions that I'll have to totally remake, 3 or 4 things I didn't really start (Shivan beam turret, Shivan Support ship, dont remember the rest) and one semi-finished Shivan fighter (no screenshot yet, sorry - and the texture currently looks quite crappy). And there's a yet-to-texture Jalkehi model that I stopped working on because the WCS team didn't want it, and because I'm not that good in texturing.

Also 2 or 3 reskins should be somewhere. Although it's only a temporary supplement while I don't have anything for its role, I quite like my Shivan Pegasus reskin - I'll post a pic in the next weeks :) .

But well, good night for now, I need some sleep.

And sorry to the admins for the double post - hadn't I already hit the picture limit with the smilies last post, I would have edited that instead.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:06:46 AM by Mav »

takashi

• View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 12:04:31 AM »
i did a bridge on a shivan-vasudan hybrid ship. 8000 polies is nasty...

and yes, my keyboard is defective which leads to spelling errors.

and you cannot forget how good blender is at shivan and terran desing. so many sharp edges is good. dark basic can model... but it produces lotsa round edges so i use it for vasudan dessing.

so, any concept art to go off of? im busy with a giant request...

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 12:09:56 AM »
Uh, not yet.

And for the records: I'm working with tS 4.3, since Blender completely messed up an earlier version of the Inferno. :mad:

But now it's really good night, see/text you another day :) .

takashi

• View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 01:19:27 AM »
click to download takas newest original ship desing

blenders fine. low polyogon counts and detail can be done at once if you know how. not to mention the exellent export feture. the only problem i have is constantly flipping the face nomals.

edit:here is a 3 firing point beam turret

The Trivial Psychic

• New Build Snoop Junkie
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 03:03:57 AM »
First ship looks to be mostly Shivan in construction, but possibly Vasudan in design.  The second would look more Shivan if the broad wings were replaced by swept spines.  That third ship looks more like an atmo-capable shuttle than a stealth design... IMO.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

takashi

• View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 03:40:21 AM »
and my 4th ship?

The Trivial Psychic

• New Build Snoop Junkie
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 07:05:51 PM »
Picture?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

takashi

• View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 07:11:57 PM »
its also a turret for a big ship.

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 08:37:21 PM »
Hi again, here're the pics of my Pegasus reskin:
[ATTACH]3112[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3111[/ATTACH]

For adding some red parts I used some metal texture from another FS-ship, recoloured by myself, and cut parts out of it.

I don't remember though which texture it was, nor even if it was a stock FS-texture, or if it was from some mod - dumb me... :sigh:   (I don't even remember what its original colour was)
If it should be from some mod, and you know from which one, please let me know... I don't want to get into trouble because of missing credits :shaking:

@TTP: You didn't notice the parts of the Pegasus-texture on the first ship, did you? But you're right in that about the other two parts, they're there, too.
The second one doesn't look too Shivan, I know :( . Maybe I can do something about that once it's complete... I won't add spines, but maybe some edges or such.
Point is, I wanted it to be stealth and thus thought it shouldn't have as  much spines as some other Shivan ships. Maybe that wasn't the best idea. but well...
Oh and don't fear - once it's in range of something, it'll be quite impossible to NOT see it :devel: ... if you look in its direction, of course.
The third one... hm, you're right it doesn't look as much as a spaceship as the stock FS-designs do. But there isn't much way to change this without starting again from scratch, I fear...

@takashi: That zshare looks like it could be a good idea to put my files there, thanks.
And TTP is right, please post pics of your stuff too, not only DL-links :) .
About Blender - well, maybe I did something wrong, or simply had a too early version of it (I last used it in late 2002 or so)... but by now, I've gotten used to tS, so I'll stay with it for a while.
My Blender version also always gave me clipping issues with the models in-game. That never happened with the models I designed completely in tS - so, well...

Oh, and about ideas/help: I'd think I got an idea about how the Auroras' bridge should look like yesterday, now I'll have to take some time this WE and do something about it...
But, what I could use are pilot models - Terran, Vasudan and, yes, even Shivan ;-)  ... though I'll still have to make my mind up about how a Shivan cockpit should look like.
I also would like some ideas about the Aurora's engine section - I don't think it really fits as it is now...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 08:41:38 PM by Mav »

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 06:17:11 PM »
Some more stuff (though a bit late)...
...and I hope it's no problem that I want to keep these things together :nervous:

First, my first 3D-model ever, created after the Fighter Creation Tutorial from FS Watch:
[ATTACH]3464[/ATTACH]
It's used for a medium stealth fighter atm, but when I'll eventually remake it in higher quality, it'll be used for something more.. interesting ;)

As it's getting late and this university-PC is going to be shut down shortly, I'll just quickly post a more current pic of the Inferno:
[ATTACH]3468[/ATTACH]
Good n8 & see you tomorrow (hopefully) :-) .

[edit: Updated because silly me made a pic of a black-textured ship on a black background - *ouch* :nervous:
And before someone gets confused... I call both my first-ever 3D-model and the green one with cockpit the "Aurora" precisely because the green one will jump into the gap that first model will leave once I re-assign it to another class - sorry for the confusion]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 09:40:36 AM by Mav »

takashi

• View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 10:53:52 PM »
your back!

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
a little something...
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 10:31:45 AM »
Yup, that I am ;-) . So, some more stuff (and please give some feedback on it :) ) :

First off - the Havoc, a modern Shivan fightercraft, and somewhat special in it's equipment... :devel: :
[ATTACH]3469[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3470[/ATTACH]
The concept-idea basically is a cross-over of the Cain/Lilith cruisers with a Boron Octopus from X-Tension (gotta install this again to finally get me that Paranid Prometheus... :naughty: ). It's currently in a re-design  (second pic, the missileboxes and some other stuff still need some work)  , as the original version wasn't that pretty geometry-wise (and also wasn't textured completely...)

Second, a concept I call myself "Dragon 2", which is basically the try to create a crossover of the Wing Commander Dragon and the Homeworld 1 fighters. Currently, it's sort of stuck in early alpha-stage... :-/ :
[ATTACH]3471[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3472[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3473[/ATTACH]

Third, there's a Shivan heavy stealth fighter called "Haunter"... it'll need a serious redo, as it's the 2nd 3D-model I made, and both far too simple and with a totally screwed-up UV-map (or would you have recognized the texture basically consists of parts of the SB Seraphim's texture? :wtf: ) :
[ATTACH]3474[/ATTACH]

Fourth, there's an old GTA beam-bomber called "Thor". It too uses a pretty old 3D-model (my 3rd) and was created before the SB Vindhyachal (just to say - no, I didn't "steal" or copy the idea - though it's a pretty straight one and one shouldn't wonder several people got it...)
[ATTACH]3475[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3476[/ATTACH]
In the second pic, there's also an old version of the Nightwing to be seen, without tiling. I added this later so there's at least a bit to see of it's hull... ;-)

Fifth, there is a pic of the Jalkehi-model I once created for WCS, but they never wanted it - so I guess I'm free to post it here:
[ATTACH]3477[/ATTACH]
I also have slightly textured version of it somewhere, though that texture is pretty basic. And despite not being textured, it otherwise is completely working in-game, even with LODs :-) . Only insignia I couldn't get working as I wished...

I also made a slightly changed, backwards flying version of the SB Taurvi, as that's how I initially perceived it should fly when I first saw it's image on the FS2-box.But as I didn't change too much on the model and most people here quite likely know how a Taurvi looks like, there is no point in uploading a pic of it, ist there? :-)