Author Topic: i could use some help with converting a .cob moddel into a .pof  (Read 8693 times)

VA [TI]

• Wuvs headz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sectorgame.com/twistedinfinities/index2.php
i could use some help with converting a .cob moddel into a .pof
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 04:37:27 AM »
Not bad for a first try at all. :)

Ah - I see your problem. It's the wings mainly.

What's wrong here is that your left wing is just a group of one sided polygons - not a closed mesh, and as such it'd only be visible from above even if it did export correctly.

Your right wing is fine though, so you can duplicate that. Select a single vert on the broken left wing, then press ctrl+L to select the whole wing (it will select all verts linked to whatever you have selected), and press X or Delete and delete the selected verticies.

Repeat the same selection proceedure with the right wing, and then go to top view (numpad 7) and press shift+D to duplicate the selection. While you're moving the duplicate around, tap X to constrain its movement to the X axis. This will prevent it from going out of alignment with the other wing.

Drag it across to approximately where the left wing was and left click to set. Now press M and mirror it by global axis. Press G to grab it again, and X to constrain it once more, and move it so it touches the hull and looks nicely symmetrical.

Normally with symmetrical ships you should only build and texture one side while mirroring it - but you've built this one on both sides. You can still cut it in half if you want to, but with this being a first model and all, I'd say just go for a simplistic UV job of the whole thing and not worry about mirroring at all. :)

Have you done any UVing in Blender before? If not, there's a good little tutorial here: http://biorust.com/index.php?page=tutorial_detail&tutid=85

TheFili

• Paranoid last CSS member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 12:58:44 PM »
Just took a look at your model and tried some "Mark seam" commands on it. It all worked, except the right wing. (Btw: By subparts I mean guns, wings etc.)

The tutorial VA[TI] posted for you is definitely something you should look at. That's the one I also used for getting the hang of this.
~Colonial Secret Service~
Ex perturbatio ad excidium.

My BSG vids:
http://www.youtube.com/TheFili

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 11:27:36 PM »
i tried the tutorial...mergeing the meshes...ect.

everything but starting over and it now gives me a "cannot determine file type" message after converting it to .COB

VA [TI]

• Wuvs headz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 12:43:09 AM »
Here, have a look at the attachment model. Basically what I've done is split it in half (deleting the left hand side), apply a mirror model modifier (highlighted in the below image), triangulated it and given it a very quick and simple UV map.

If you want to export it, remember to apply the mirror modifier first, and have the object selected when you go to export. Export it as a Direct X file (.x) and open it first in 3d Exploration. (if you've not got it, get it here: http://sectorfiles.net/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/3dexplor.exe)
Then from there save it as a TS cob file and open it up in TS.

Keep in mind that because this is a single object - no turrets or lods or anything, you can open it straight up in TS once you've saved it as a .X file, but all your face normals will be flipped, and when I looked at it it seemed a bit unstable. Going through 3d Exploration seemed to fix both problems as always. :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 03:02:29 AM by VA [TI] »

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 02:56:46 AM »
3d exploration download link= lithunwrap?

anyway, i never new i would need to dust off (update) direct X to fix the problem... thanks! now i can shoot peoples down in freespace again!

VA [TI]

• Wuvs headz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 02:58:16 AM »
Quote from: takashi;53437
3d exploration download link= lithunwrap?

....crap. Sorry. :\

Link fixed

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 01:53:03 PM »
No offense, but if it wasn't for modelview the VF-super I just posted recently (and works perfectly, no crashes or known issues) wouldn't be in game.

Last time I tried to use PCS to convert it I went away for 15 mins and it was still hung up, MV did it in 5 seconds...

Maybe I just get lucky a lot :D but until PCS2 comes out I swear by MV (for now)... Plus I'm using the Darkhill version (should I go back to older htl-build?).
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

VA [TI]

• Wuvs headz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 01:08:07 AM »
Open the model up in PCS, leaving the render window open. Go to the SubObjects tab and hit the "SortNorm Bounding Debug" button. Now look in the render window at the result.

If the mesh is solid and stable, it should appear like the Aeolus in the second pic. If not, it might appear as the ship in the first pic or worse.

Keep in mind that this is not a perfect indicator - it's just one of the easiest to test.
Another thing to look for is any error messages that pop up when loading it up in a debug build of Fred. The final test is to carefully observe it in-game. Shoot and ram it all over - looking for parts with no clipping where you or your shots go straight through it.
Also maneuver it to eclipse the sun with various parts of itself. If you're able to see the sun glare or anything through the ship you have problems.

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 01:24:28 AM »
o i shouldnt fly my work? ok.... the tail is transparent...one of the wings....and those places only show when there is no light. and my lasers go straight through them. maybe blenders mirror does something to wings made of hexagons....

VA [TI]

• Wuvs headz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 02:12:14 AM »
Sorry, I don't understand - you got the version I posted in-game or did you copy what I'd done to get your own version? Also, did you actually create and apply a texture?
Screenies would help. ;)

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 03:05:41 AM »
of the texture? or of the sun problem?

VA [TI]

• Wuvs headz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 04:12:29 AM »
Oh - no, all that about bug-hunting was directed towards Star Dragon. He's saying that Modelview 32 can produce stable POF files, but I'm pretty sure it can't, which is why I'm asking if he can test it using the methods I described there. :)

Anyway, where are you up to with your fighter? Did you copy what I'd done with it yourself or did you just switch over to work on that one instead? If you switched over, your current stage should be somewhere abouts creating a texture?

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 04:20:06 AM »
ah, yes. the  texture...

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 05:06:50 PM »
Quote from: Star Dragon;53202
Also it seems I am the only one who mods 3.6 while the rest of the world is on 3.6.9 , I tried earlier to mod 3.6.7 with disastrous results and find it quicker and easier to make a conversion in 20 minutes and in 5 minutes of set up I am up and running with no problems versus the hundreds of errors 3.6.7 complains about and then crashes.

Uh, I just recently found out that somewhere along (might be just at that version) the "$ND" fields in the ships.tbl got invalidated by the SCP team.

Those fields are sort of a retail-glowmap and so aren't needed anymore in FSO, but invalidating them seems a pretty hard decision to me.

Anyway, when I removed these fields from my ships.tbl, both my mods that FSO had complained about like hell since some build after 3.5.5 (threw me off of modding FS for about 1,5 years :( ) , suddendly worked without any error.

The SCP team surely makes a great job :yes: , but they *could* have made a sticky in their forums about this... especially as they always said they didn't want to break backwards compatibility :/ .
And they shouldn't have always insisted on that it HAD to be an error in my tables everytime I asked for help (2 or 3 times I think) ... after all it was more of an error in their code (honestly, couldn't they just have set it to ignore these fields instead of complaining about them as "errors"???) .

Well, anyway - except for this "little glitch", the SCP is a really good project. And I hope this advice helps you solve your problems, Star Dragon :) .
Location: Shivan Fleet, Interstellar Space... now you\'d like to know between WHICH stellar systems, wouldn\'t you? :ha: ;) :devel:

(only joking, of course - estimates are always welcome, though people should know they\'re just that :) )

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2007, 10:31:17 AM »
@ MAV - TYVM! I will certainly look into this... Unfortunately Dawn of War: Dark Crusade oowns me ATM. I need to conquer the planet with the other 4 races still... It's a C&C clone warhammer 40k style but it's freaking awesome.

@ VA, not a problem, I do the collision, shoot testing, etc and 70-80% of my images are of tested stable ships.
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty: