Author Topic: i could use some help with converting a .cob moddel into a .pof  (Read 8658 times)

takashi

• View Profile
i could use some help with converting a .cob moddel into a .pof
« on: January 06, 2007, 07:18:37 PM »
i recently finished a moddel...and when i went to convert it it to POF in pof constructor suite... it said: "FATAL ERROR: you frogot to group these objects"

i dont see the problem...it was made in blender, as 5 objects, then exported to truespace, where i grouped them, then i went to convert it and texture it. then that message came up.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 08:07:38 PM »
Glue a light to it in Truespace.

Check the turretting tutorial in my FAQ if you don't know how.

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 11:48:14 PM »
it doesent have any turrets...just regular guns.

Taristin

• Rock out! (Cock optional)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.BlueScalie.net
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 12:11:08 AM »
The point of the tutorial is to familiarize you with TS hierarchy, not necessarily only turrets.
This is a signature.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 07:12:40 AM »
Just occurred to me. In instances where models crash upon destruction would gluing a light help? I have plenty of pofs (fighters/bombers) made without lights. Created by modelview.
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

Taristin

• Rock out! (Cock optional)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.BlueScalie.net
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 06:27:33 PM »
Creating the model with modelview could very well cause that crash, as well. Modelview doesn't produce the most stable meshes.
This is a signature.

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 07:38:29 PM »
well, i created it on blender so that means no hiearchy... it wont split into a hiearchy... it wont accept the two guins as objects. not even that FAQ helped (except with winning on freespace multplayer with the great big cube)

if you can see anything wrong, then i respect you:

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 10:54:33 PM »
Texture it and then upload it. IF you don't want to be elaborate that's fine, it will need a temp cover at the very least to be visible in FS2.

Then when I get a hold of it I can give it a try.

---------------

I seriously think something is wrong with PCS on my computer, even after my third reinstall it hangs/or has problems with models that MV spits out like nothing.

Development is suffering because I lack a true modeler who has any time for the projects I am involved with. (everyone is busy so I have to make do with what I can beg/borrow until that day).

Also it seems I am the only one who mods 3.6 while the rest of the world is on 3.6.9 , I tried earlier to mod 3.6.7 with disastrous results and find it quicker and easier to make a conversion in 20 minutes and in 5 minutes of set up I am up and running with no problems versus the hundreds of errors 3.6.7 complains about and then crashes.

So in the end even if these projects DO get finished someone who knows what they are doing will have to go through them and translate them to the newest open format.

It's either that or someone will have to take over these projects from scratch far into the future...

I'm not stopping, just stating how things are...
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 07:03:59 PM »
since it was mad ein blender, the hiearchy says no more than "CIRCLE1". even worse, one wing was mirrored on an axis and wont show in the UV map. im starting to thing this moddel may be a problem...or i should stop using blender.

TheFili

• Paranoid last CSS member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 07:19:38 PM »
Yoohoo, another Blender user ;)

Sorry if you already did takashi, but did you join all the meshes in object mode?

My first model ported to FS looked like it was taken apart by a careless tornado, but after I joined, it was fine.
Got into UVs only yesterday, so no idea whether I can help there, but what method do you use for your UV map? U-Key, "Unwrap"?
~Colonial Secret Service~
Ex perturbatio ad excidium.

My BSG vids:
http://www.youtube.com/TheFili

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 09:01:02 PM »
i use a totaly different program called "lithunrap"

and yes, the meshes have been joined, but the UV map looks like a spider web! that, and truespace wont accept the guns as objects for some reason...

TheFili

• Paranoid last CSS member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 09:35:17 PM »
OK, then I'm out of my depth ;)
I took the hard route yesterday and gave each "subpart" of the model some seams so they could unwrap with Blender and it worked fine. Maybe you could try that if nothing else helps.
~Colonial Secret Service~
Ex perturbatio ad excidium.

My BSG vids:
http://www.youtube.com/TheFili

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 01:15:42 AM »
sub...part?

VA [TI]

• Wuvs headz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sectorgame.com/twistedinfinities/index2.php
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 02:19:49 AM »
Quote from: Star Dragon;53202
I seriously think something is wrong with PCS on my computer, even after my third reinstall it hangs/or has problems with models that MV spits out like nothing

I'm certain I've told you this before, but you should avoid modelview conversions like the plague. :p
All my experiments into it resulted in ugly problems in one area or another. Most notably was a seriously faulty collision mesh.

You should basically convert using PCS, the POF Exporter for Max or nothing. If you're getting errors in PCS it really honestly is because something is wrong with your model. Just because modelview won't complain about the problem doesn't mean that it's not there.

=========

takashi: Definitely don't stop using blender! Once you grow more comfortable with it you'll be amazed what you can do with it. :)
Brief motivational speech aside, the "You forgot to group those objects" error:

Quote from: HLP Wiki entry on PCS
If PCS gives a "You forgot to group those objects!" error message during COB > POF conversions, it just means that you need to glue a local light to the main hull object in Truespace. (This usually only occurs when PCS encounters a piece of geometry not glued to anything, such as a test hull for conversion or a forgotten bit just lying about your workspace)

This is the same kind of thing you do to set up turrets, which is why Karajorma pointed you towards his tutorial.

The UV error sounds strange - at what point did you UV map it? Ideally, you would UV map it in lith while it's split in half, and then once the UV map is done you export a texture map and get it back into TS. (the texture map doesn't yet have to be complete obviously)

Now you mirror the thing in TS, (assuming the version you're using has a mirror modeler tool? If you have to duplicate the ship and mirror the duplicate say so, because that will make it trickkier), glue a local light to the main hull object, save as a .scn or .cob, and convert it using TS.

More PCS info is here if you need it: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/POF_Constructor_Suite

Did any of that help?

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 03:14:37 AM »
beta.zip - 0.05MB

by the looks of that map, and the ship, im ready to throw the computer out the window.