Author Topic: I would like the Devs opinion of this in game video of EVE.  (Read 4591 times)

Lithium

• Cool under fire
    • View Profile
I would like the Devs opinion of this in game video of EVE.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 01:39:21 AM »
Quote from: ngtm1r;51460
EVE is your god. Go watch the Revelations trailer.

Random trivia: that version of Beauty Never Fades is apparently unique. I've never been able to locate it outside that video.

(If you happen to get it and see either NGTM1R or Node Crash in local, say hi. Unless it's low security, in which case I'd advise you to run the other way.)
I saw that trailer, but liked the other one better. Seemed more realistic in an odd way.

I've ripped that song out of the video and can upload it somewhere if you want it. It's quite awesome.

[EDIT] Never even heard of Aces High. Sounds like a prop plane sim. Is that right?
A Leap Through Time - Short Story by me

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 01:51:06 AM »
If EvE puts in a system that allows me to use piloting skill instead of constant grinding in order for me to kill people, then I'll play it...:p
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 02:11:40 AM »
oooh pretty, though i avoid MMORPGs like the plague
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SGT_R22eR

• Solo on the Rocks
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/bsg
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 03:20:13 AM »
I prefer playing the Void mod for Freelancer, it is free and requires more skills... also you can almost be anything you want, police, raider, bounty hunter, trader, etc

OutofStep351

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 03:23:33 AM »
do you hafta pay for it monthly like you do WoW?
"They put angels in the electric chair,
No one knew or no one cared,
Burning stars lit up their hair and crawled to heaven on golden stairs
God bless our dead marines."
-Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tralala Band

KypFisto

• Callsign: Gulo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 04:01:03 AM »
For EVE? yes.

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/
Dont Get Addicted!!! Its Not Worth It.
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 04:08:32 AM »
I played EVE for 6 months, and then quit after I took a 2 week vacation trip with my family to Hawaii. All I can say is THANK THE GOOD LORD THAT THIS TRIP HELPED ME QUIT!

To me, EVE was as addicting as crack or cocaine. Once I started playing, It became all I ever did during my spare time, thought about and talked about. I slowly started to see my social connections ( R.L. ) fade away, my grades drop, my productivity diminish and my health suffer. All the spare time that I had was occupied by playing this game. I quit working out, going out at night with my RL friends and neglected to do my homework/studies even less than I used to. I would rather sit at home on a friday/saturday nights and grind away gate camping or ratting. I can say this now confidently, but back when I was addicted it diddnt really bother me (even though I pretty much knew it) when it should have bothered me. It took away my ability to see things reasonably for some reason. At the point in time that I was going to Hawaii, I would have much rather sat at home and played EVE than have gone there, thats how screwed up my perspective was on things.

Fortunately, now that I am clean life is now back to normal :) . Three weeks was enough to get rid of the 'withdrawl'. Once I quit, I found that I really diddnt want to start playing again (even though I easily could have picked it up again.) You laugh when I compare this stuff to drugs, but I think its true. If you see similar symptoms to the ones I listed above in yourself, I highly suggest you seek help or try and help yourself. I know I am not the only one.

Dont get me wrong, EVE is a really well designed and interesting game, but I think it was best for me (and probably some others I know) that I quit. Plus $15 monthly is waaay too much for a game that has waaay too many UI, engine, D3D and network bugs anyway.

{ / rant }

Any contrasting/similar experiences?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:12:04 AM by MatthewPapa »

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 04:12:43 AM »
<< That is why i avoid MMORPGs like the plague ;)

plus you occasionally get the story outta Japan about some kid who played games for 48 hours without food, sleep or trips to the bathroom and promptly expires :P
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Werthead

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 01:44:00 AM »
Wasn't there some guy in the USA who got so addicted to Everquest that he neglected his baby kid for several days and they died? Or was that an urban myth?

The Japanese kid thing is true though. That made the news. I think that was on Lineage, one of the big Korean MMORPGs, though.

By the way, EVE is actually free now (the game itself, not the monthly payments, obviously). You just download the whole game from the website and get a fortnight's playing for free before you have to fork over any cash. If you can find a boxed copy, then that's even better as the game's dirt cheap (got mine for 4) and you get four weeks' for free. However, you have to do a basic install and then update it, which I think is slower than just downloading the latest installer version from the developer.
Visit The Wertzone for all your SF&F Needs

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 02:00:56 AM »
Quote from: Lithium;51513
I saw that trailer, but liked the other one better. Seemed more realistic in an odd way.

I've ripped that song out of the video and can upload it somewhere if you want it. It's quite awesome.

[EDIT] Never even heard of Aces High. Sounds like a prop plane sim. Is that right?

That'd be nice, yes. I was rather disappointed when I looked for other stuff by the guy; it's not as good. :p

EDIT: HAND OVER THE ACCOUNT, MATT!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 05:52:24 AM by ngtm1r »
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

Lithium

• Cool under fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2006, 10:21:52 AM »
Here's the music from the video.

I caved and am doing the 14 day trial.
Jonn Wolfe - Gallente

or

Xenon Maal - Amarr
A Leap Through Time - Short Story by me

Crosshair

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 04:42:40 AM »
Quote from: MatthewPapa;51529
Any contrasting/similar experiences?

I've worked for multiple MMORPG's and I can tell you there are TONS of people out there that are addicted to a degree that is wickedly unhealthy - physically and mentally.  Good for you for quitting!

Everything should be done in moderation but the when you're designing a game where people are dropping a monthly fee your main design goal is KEEP THEM PLAYING.  Your job is to make the game as addictive as you possibly can.

It's like being a digital dealer.  That's why the first month is free, kid. :pimp:

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2006, 07:34:24 AM »
Lol. I've played EVE and Anarchy Online, but fortunately, I think my natural prejudice towards MMORPGS in general helped keep me from getting into both.

That, and, the RL friends that I knew in both games were pricks and wouldn't play with me. Do the tutorial, my ass... :p :lol:

Wasn't there some guy in the USA who got so addicted to Everquest that he neglected his baby kid for several days and they died? Or was that an urban myth?

There was a couple who left to play WoW and came back to find their baby had died. Apparently they had a relative living in the apartment upstairs, too. I don't want to read the article again; it's just too sad.

meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvada
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 10:36:57 AM »
Quote from: Unknown Target;51486
I beta tested EvE. It was the most boring space game I've ever played. It's basically like EverQuest in space with a more advanced economy. You fly around, and to attack enemies, you click on them. Then watch. And wait. And watch. And wait. Until they finally explode. There's no combat interaction, all you do is right click on the bad guy and your ship circles around and fires at it.
It has a really hefty player driven economy, but I play games to, you know, play them, not go through economics class.

Same here...beta tester five years ago. I hoped it to evolve into a hiearhic system, where I can become whatever I like: fighter pilot, capitain, general, "bill gates", elected leader or dictator, trader or pirate, etc. Since freespace2 I am waiting for a spacesim, where battles are almost real. Players sitting in fighters and flying them like in FS2, players commanding the capital ships like in starfleet command, players controlling the battles like in some realtime strategie and giving commands to other players. Rank can be accomplished by skill, money by tradeing, power by politics or corruption. A game, where industrie works as well, new technikes and ships can be developped and built. EVE is the closest to it, but still far away from my desire. It was simply to slow for me. I had to spend time to work out trivialities, while in some place the action was completely missing (I had no controll).  So...it just did not fit me right now. However, I still think it is the best we actually have. I aggree with others: developpers work a lot to improove the game as much as they can. I also aggree with the addiction part with some comments: nothing is dangerous generally, but anything can be dangerous specifically. I would expect from a sane man to realise, what is dangerous to him, and decide for himself! It is true for any addicted people, could be that addiction alcohole, drug, a religion,a game or a war! :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 10:55:48 AM by meleardil »
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Imperator

• Imperator has conquered!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cylonbase.com/
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 05:01:19 PM »
Quote from: WMCoolmon;51732
There was a couple who left to play WoW and came back to find their baby had died. Apparently they had a relative living in the apartment upstairs, too. I don't want to read the article again; it's just too sad.

That's terrible, the worst I've ever done for an addiction (Game-wise, I don't do drugs!) is stay indoors instead of doing the shopping with my dad. After hearing that story I'm feeling terrible about myself now! :(
"Reality is Cylon technology obviously outstrips our own."