Author Topic: NV4_disp.dll and FS2_Open...pls help?  (Read 650 times)

ArrTee

• Mr. STFU
    • View Profile
NV4_disp.dll and FS2_Open...pls help?
« on: December 03, 2006, 09:35:45 PM »
Gods of BTRL,

When running the game from the launcher, I get this BSOD : nv4_disp.dll (along with a ton of garbage before it reboots)

Systema specs:
Athlon64 X2 4400+
Gigabyte I-DNA MB (GeForce series)
2GB of ram (Corsair)
WinXP Pro (SP2)
Nvidia 7800GT 256 PCI-E (BFG)
Audigy 2 (Every driver imaginable has been installed/uninstalled/reinstalled (g))
FS2 installer 3.6.9.0 (did I miss anything?)

DC has caused a lot of problems with other games, but running the game on only 1 core doesn't fix this for FS2.
I fear, because if this is happening with FS2.. will it also happen with BRTL?
I am preparing my noose if that is the case..:naughty:  Any help would be gratly appreciated, guys.

Any other info you can use, pls ask..

Your thankful, resident misfit,

ArrTee~:D :biggrin1:

EDIT: Just FYI,  I've been to the FS2 OS forum with this question a while back, and have yet to get an answer..:( So I am hoping the pros here can help this nugget out.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 10:21:24 PM by ArrTee »
I believe that forgiving the enemy is God\'s function. My job is simply to arrange the meeting.

Wanderer

• Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
NV_disp.dll and FS2_Open...pls help?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 10:03:48 PM »
Umhh... What kind of install did you have there? FS2 installer 3.6.9.0 doesnt say much.. If that is the installer mentioned in the HLP then did you first have a functional FreeSpace (retail) installation before you started that installer (iirc it did require retail files). Or did you use shivansps download?

skippy9146

• Need a Oil Change
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 11:48:06 PM »
Well, the nv4 thing has to do with the video card/driver (nv = nvidia, not a coincidence). 1st of all. I'd look at reinstalling or updating your vid driver.

Before doing that, I'd D/L & use a prog called Driver Cleaner - it will eliminate all traces of your previous driver. Sometimes uninstall/overwriting isn't enough. Can dispatch old Creative drivers too.

DC - I guess you mean Dual Core, never has presented any problems for me running fs2 (in whatever flavor) or any other games. I use an Opteron 165 (DC) OC'ed to 2.5Ghz. On occasion, my Folding At Home prog & games don't play nice with each other for some reason (I suspect it tries to "hog" both cores) - turning it off solves that problem.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 11:56:45 PM »
I'm closing this one cause I know it was solved on IRC.

Turns out the problem was due to the virus checker having prevented a proper install of the drivers. A reinstall with them turned off and he's just as impressed with the new SCP graphics as the rest of us were :)