Author Topic: Game in progress?  (Read 4120 times)

Aethallyn

• View Profile
Game in progress?
« on: November 23, 2006, 09:59:37 AM »
Is there anyway to make it so you can join a game in progress, like with most online games now?

Or does Freespace 2 not allow that (without heavy code modification, anyways)?

Because I think that would make it a lot easier to get games going and such.

Edit:  Or am I just forgetful (as I haven't played this game online (successfully) since the PXO days.. but I seem to remember not being able to join a game while it was going, and it would explain why I see games going on the Access Point site but not in game)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 10:07:57 AM by Aethallyn »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Game in progress?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 10:59:02 AM »
From what I can remember FS1 used to allow in-game joining but it was horrifically unstable so it was turned off in FS2.

FS2_Open does have an optional parameter called -ingame_join but I've not experimented with it. Given how unstable parts of multiplayer code that have not been used have become I wouldn't be surprised if it caused serious bugs or crashes when used. Then again it might work perfectly.

If you're willing to try it simply add -ingame_join to the custom flags section of the launcher and host a few games.

Once 3.6.9 and BtRL are out I've been promising myself that I'll do a major investigation into how multi works and try to fix as many bugs as I can. In-game join is definitely something I'll have to take a look at.

Waistless

• The Head Chef
    • View Profile
Game in progress?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 11:36:39 AM »
I thought i'd might mention here while the thread is fresh.

There are still multiplayer bugs needed to be fixed, i have been used RC7.9

1.  Sometimes the respawn screen will still popup twice, but I admit it hasn't happened as much compared to before :nod:

2.  Ok, you'll never believe this, but as me and KURAS were playing the mission "rebel intercept" , as the Hecate was warping in.. wait for it.. the Hecate...DID A LUCIFER STYLE SELF DESTRUCT AS IT WAS WARPING IN!  :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: No Joke!!! KURAS will vouch for me if you don't believe it, he was using RC7.8. It was a once in a lifetime bug though, I doubt it'll be possible to replicate. Perhaps the comp can use cheats? :drevil:

3.  One mission me and kuras played, we both scored 0 kills, although I believe that was due to incompetence, he thinks it was bugged.

4. another bug he's mentioned to me, he claims he gets crashes during warpout ending mission sometimes.

Not to bash the mods or anything, you guys are doing a great a job with this, I just thought i'd make you aware before you release 3.6.9 official
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 11:39:53 AM by Waistless »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Game in progress?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 12:11:41 PM »
I am well aware of the first of those. I'm not 100% certain that I've got the right cause but I'm pretty strongly convinced that it's connected to a pair of assertions I can get under similar circumstances in debug builds.

The problem is that I can't recreate the bugs on my LAN easily because they're actually reliant on the delay between server and client and on the LAN that's practically negligible. If the cause is what I think it is then I'll be getting rid of it post 3.6.9 but unfortunately I can't see how to remove it easily at the moment.

FF-Darkhalf

• View Profile
    • http://www.ffighters.com
Game in progress?
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 05:15:42 PM »
wasn't there a sort of knocking the door feature in one of the latest build I been thinking hvaing seen this. Seemed pretty useful as it's half the sucess knowing someone wants to join, jump & restart is not such a big time loss when u can get more pilots in ;)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Game in progress?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 06:03:31 PM »
Yep. Tom's Build had that feature. I believe Taylor has a diff of that code but it's not going to be added to3.6.9 at this late stage.

FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.165thbdhr.com
Game in progress?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 07:21:02 PM »
Quote from: Waistless;48921

2.  Ok, you'll never believe this, but as me and KURAS were playing the mission "rebel intercept" , as the Hecate was warping in.. wait for it.. the Hecate...DID A LUCIFER STYLE SELF DESTRUCT AS IT WAS WARPING IN!  :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: No Joke!!! KURAS will vouch for me if you don't believe it, he was using RC7.8. It was a once in a lifetime bug though, I doubt it'll be possible to replicate. Perhaps the comp can use cheats? :drevil:

This isn't a bug it's physics.  It is caused by the Hecate hitting a large chunk of debries at full speed out of hyperspace.  Mass of Hecate * a high velocity * Mass of Orion chunk = KABOOM.
FUBAR

Master Drunk of the 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers