Author Topic: Freespace 2 Campaigns?  (Read 55924 times)

OutofStep351

• View Profile
Freespace 2 Campaigns?
« on: November 18, 2006, 11:53:36 PM »
Does anybody know of any good user FS2 campaigns that I oughta check out? Since VolitionWatch went down, i've had a hard time finding any. Also, is there ever going to be an Inferno Release 2?
"They put angels in the electric chair,
No one knew or no one cared,
Burning stars lit up their hair and crawled to heaven on golden stairs
God bless our dead marines."
-Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tralala Band

Tellaris

• View Profile
Freespace 2 Campaigns?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 04:18:28 AM »
I heard about a multiplayer version of the FS2 campaign.   If it exists, is there a place I can get it?

Wanderer

• Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
Freespace 2 Campaigns?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 08:14:28 AM »
Derelict, Sync, Transcend.....

After HLP finishes its move you ought to be able to get those either via this page http://campaignlist.hard-light.net/

Transcend
Derelict

Main FreeSpace 2 campaign in multiplayer should be found from the media vp files (mv_core.vp) that are part of the update related to FreeSpace Open.

OutofStep351

• View Profile
Freespace 2 Campaigns?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 04:54:47 PM »
Like, co-op single player? wow. that would be real sweet.

yeah, i played derelict back in the day, might be that it's time to have another go with freespace open.
"They put angels in the electric chair,
No one knew or no one cared,
Burning stars lit up their hair and crawled to heaven on golden stairs
God bless our dead marines."
-Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tralala Band

Tellaris

• View Profile
Freespace 2 Campaigns?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 03:46:17 AM »
I keep hearing about these media_vp files but I don't have them with my FS2_open download, nor have I yet found or seen any link to them yet.   Somebody mind telling me where to get them?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Freespace 2 Campaigns?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 09:03:14 AM »
The Media VPs should be added to the Freespace2/mediavps folder. If you don't have this folder or if it's empty you can get the files you need here.

Remember that after installing them you must run the launcher (or configure your command line) to run the mediavps folder as your selected mod. If you don't do this you won't see any of the improvements the mediavps give you.

Selectah

• View Profile
Freespace 2 Campaigns?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 09:32:12 PM »
The campaign list at Hard Light sucks donkey's balls. It's just a list of campaigns. Without any links whatsoever it could just as well be a list of arbitrarily chosen words. Plus most of the pages have the well and usual "not done yet", "released when ready", "story 10% done", et cetera. For a real list of missions and campaigns, visit the VolitionWatch Mission Archives. It's dead now, but its' ghost lives on in the WayBack Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://archives.volitionwatch.com

There ya go.

Cordially,
~Selectah
everything above this line is utter nonsense

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Freespace 2 Campaigns?
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 09:55:21 PM »
Yeah. Then you can download 2nd Great War.

And then run away screaming thinking that's the level of quality the community can produce.

Selectah

• View Profile
2nd Great War Part II r0xx0rz!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 06:07:01 AM »
Quote from: karajorma;52768
Yeah. Then you can download 2nd Great War.

Yeah.. :D  Hey, you gotta love that campaign, dude. I mean, the level of pompousness..
Quote from: karajorma;52768
And then run away screaming thinking that's the level of quality the community can produce.

Eh?:blah:

Whaddya mean? Please, Kara, I guess it'd be of service if you'd expound a little bit on that most curious statement.

Curiously,
~Selectah

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Freespace 2 Campaigns?
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 07:59:14 PM »
2nd Great War is not exactly the best campaign in the community :)

My point is that although there are some good campaigns on the archives the majority are not of the same level of quality as the ones on the campaign list. In fact apart from Derelict and Warzone I've barely ever heard mention of any campaigns on VWarchives.

Selectah

• View Profile
The stuff that wasn't there
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 10:31:43 PM »
Quote from: karajorma;52859
2nd Great War is not exactly the best campaign in the community :)

Ya, it ain't exactly the pinnacle of user-made campaigns...

Although the Bottom of the Barrel Award™ must go to the Top Gun Campaign. No contest. :)
My point is that although there are some good campaigns on the archives the majority are not of the same level of quality as the ones on the campaign list.
Truth be told, there aren't really that many good campaigns out there. Period. If you're really, really honest about it, there ain't. Further, the ones that pompously portray/ed themselves as the be-all and end-all of computerized deep space entertainment are either "not ready yet", or dead. That's what I was trying clumsily to relay. Alrighty then, Transcend is pretty good, I've heard. And Derelict ain't half bad, either. Or so I've heard.

(I've given up on ST:R and Blackwater Operations a long, long time ago. I've had the Beta version of ST:R for years. Years. Five years in development means spending over 100 days per mission. Which are basically embellishments on existing ones. If one only regards the nine new missions, that'd mean almost 200 days mulling over a single mission. Which is basically a 30k text file. And there's not even any VA done yet. I mean seriously. I don't get it.:blah: Of course I'm fully aware that one is not supposed to critizise anything that the SCP community does. Ever. Or doesn't do, as the case may be ;) , but still...)
In fact apart from Derelict and Warzone I've barely ever heard mention of any campaigns on VWarchives.
Ya, true. There are some nice ones in there, though, such as The Boonies, Pirates of Delta Serpentis, The Destiny of Peace or Second Front. I guess part of the fade-into-oblivion it is that the VWArchives are practically dead. Some of the camps in there could be quite kewl with a bit of streamlining, plot hole filling and subtle voice acting. The mini-camp 25th Year, Black Horizon or the more ambitious Cardinal Spear, for example.
Plus, they're actually available. :blah:

Cordially,
~Selectah

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Freespace 2 Campaigns?
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 10:40:53 PM »
The Boonies actually IS Derelict. Or the first few adventures from it anyway.

And there are tonnes of finished campaigns on the list. Simply look at the ones marked finished.

Goober5000

• Über Goober
    • View Profile
Freespace 2 Campaigns?
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 01:58:58 AM »
Quote from: Selectah;52870
Truth be told, there aren't really that many good campaigns out there. Period. If you're really, really honest about it, there ain't. Further, the ones that pompously portray/ed themselves as the be-all and end-all of computerized deep space entertainment are either "not ready yet", or dead.
I can think of a few.  Derelict, Warzone, Twilight, the BWO demo, Inferno, Technological Superiority, Lightning Marshall 3 & 4, etc.  Those are all playable on retail FS2; not being able to use FSO is no excuse for not trying those.

Also, Wing Commander Saga: Prologue was released just a few days ago, and it's a standalone game.  It uses the SCP, but since it comes with its own installer, you could try running that.

That's what I was trying clumsily to relay. Alrighty then, Transcend is pretty good, I've heard. And Derelict ain't half bad, either. Or so I've heard.
As my mother always said, "How can you tell if you don't like something unless you try it?"  Granted she was talking about food, but the same applies to FreeSpace campaigns.

I've had the Beta version of ST:R for years. Years. Five years in development means spending over 100 days per mission.
Actually, it's four years.  And if you got the missions from where I think you got them, they've only been available there since October 2005.

Anyway, college has a way of sucking up time.  And most of the delay has been because we're beta-testing the heck out of it.  I'm a perfectionist, so sue me. :)

And if you've been able to play the ST:R beta for that long, why are you complaining about the full release?

Of course I'm fully aware that one is not supposed to critizise anything that the SCP community does. Ever. Or doesn't do, as the case may be ;)
The SCP isn't associated with any of the campaigns I just listed.  And as for the SCP itself, we just released 3.6.9.  And as for criticism, no-one has ever said you can't criticize the SCP.  People do it all the time. :wtf:

Selectah

• View Profile
ranting away again
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 10:29:47 AM »
Hiya, G5K. What up?
Quote from: Goober5000;52891
I can think of a few [campaigns].  Derelict, Warzone, Twilight, the BWO demo, Inferno, Technological Superiority, Lightning Marshall 3 & 4, etc.
Ya, there are a few. It is, however, a bit strange that after nine(!) years of community FREDding, there're just a handful of really good campaigns out there. They mostly seem to go along the lines of "after ten years, the Shivans return" with a couple of "Blast Taurus Wing" missions tagged to it. Somehow, that just doesn't do it for me.

(You will want to kill me for this, but sometimes I actually wish that mr Smart would've gotten that license. Hey, at least we'd have a completely new FS game by now.)
Actually, it's four years.
Alrighty then. Thanks for the clarification, but I doubt it changes my point, though.
Anyway, college has a way of sucking up time. And most of the delay has been because we're beta-testing the heck out of it. I'm a perfectionist, so sue me. :)
No, that's ok. I's just quietly wondering. Don't take anything I say personally. I am fully aware that RL always takes precedence. That's exactly as it should be, so no worries.
And if you've been able to play the ST:R beta for that long, why are you complaining about the full release?
Oh, I ain't complaining. I'm sorry if my previous rant came across as that. I guess crisp articulation is an art I have yet to master. :blah: I's just wondering, that's all.
And as for the SCP itself, we just released 3.6.9. And as for criticism, no-one has ever said you can't criticize the SCP. People do it all the time. :wtf:
Ya, I guess that's what people are supposed to do. :p

Cordially,
~Selectah

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Freespace 2 Campaigns?
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 03:04:30 PM »
Quote from: Selectah;52934
Hiya, G5K. What up?
Ya, there are a few. It is, however, a bit strange that after nine(!) years of community FREDding, there're just a handful of really good campaigns out there. They mostly seem to go along the lines of "after ten years, the Shivans return" with a couple of "Blast Taurus Wing" missions tagged to it. Somehow, that just doesn't do it for me.

Problem is that the number of FREDders in the community has always been small. No idea why but everyone wants to model instead.

I think one reason is that you can gain recognition of your skills in a few posts as a modeller but can't as a FREDder without several months worth of hard work.

(You will want to kill me for this, but sometimes I actually wish that mr Smart would've gotten that license. Hey, at least we'd have a completely new FS game by now.)

Would have been shit though. Have you seen the reviews for what he made instead? I'd rather have nothing than that abomination (as my sig points out).

That's not just cutting off your nose to spite your face. Scooping out your brains and frying them in oil is a little closer.