Author Topic: Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)  (Read 19867 times)

Tikey

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 308
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2006, 04:49:57 AM »
But for how long was Adama in command of the Galactica?
It must have been years to get him so attached to the ship and it's crew.

StarSlayer

  • Here comes the Fuzz
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1997
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2006, 05:00:03 AM »
He served aboard the Galactica when he was a Viper ace in 1CW that at least explains the love of the old girl.
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tikey

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 308
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2006, 05:01:49 AM »
woya
Didn't know that.
Did they mention it in one of the episodes?

karajorma

  • He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5268
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2006, 09:22:38 AM »
I suspect that Adama must have commanded the Galactica for a fairly long time, been transfered to the Valkyrie and then sent back to the Galactica. We're told in the mini series that Adama didn't let them upgrade the Galactica and that makes no sense if he wasn't its CO at the time.

Snagger

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 489
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2006, 10:28:22 AM »
There are a few inaccuracies here.  

There has never been any indaction that Adama previously ioperated on Galactica in any capacity other than as a Viper pilot 40+ years before (and that he was aboard at the end of the Cylon War when she was boarded, hence his comment to Roslin about "many good people dying aboard this ship" when she asked for the network).  He must have been in command for a reasonable period before the new attacks in order to be so familiar with the vessel and its crew, but that can't be mush more than 2 years.

The Galactica has most certainly been upgraded over the years.  All that has been done by Adama is the prevention of networking of the computers and the more frequent disabling of automated systems (like the Vipers' autoland - Apollo in the mini).  This comes from his personal experience in the Galactica boarding incident, where the networks were used by the Cylons against them (from the Adama/Tigh deleted drinking scene).
something I do understand;)  : http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk

Dukeman42

  • The voice in your head
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1641
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2006, 01:54:21 PM »
I was first tipped to this image by the firstones forums, check it out:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Image:Dossier.png

Here is a breakdown of this timeline (I'm guessing whoever submitted it saw a better, fully HD image):

In "Hero", William Adama's dossier can be seen. Here are a list of dates from Adama's past that the dossier contains:

    H5/21290 Birth of William Adama
    D6/21311 First commission, Battlestar Galactica, fighter squadron
    E4/21312 Commendation for shooting down Cylon fighter in first combat mission.
    D5/21314 Mustered out of service post-armistice
    R6/21317 Served as Deck Hand in merchant fleet and as common […] aboard inter-colony tramp freighters
    D1/21331 Recomissioned to Fleet
    D6/21337 Major: Battlestar Atlantia
    R8/21341 Executive Officer: Battlestar Columbia
    C2/21345 Commander: Battlestar Valkyrie
    C2/21348 Commander: Battlestar Galactica


There has been A LOT of discussion over at firstones regarding the time discontinuity created by this 'canon' timeline, namely the fact that in 'Hero,' Bulldog was captured three years ago, and at that time by this timeline shown, Adama was already in command of Galactica; was he given special command of a jump-capable ship for the mission, or was it a screw-up?  Befuddling all that even more is Tigh's comment that the Bulldog commission was the reason for Adama's 'graceful retirement' aboard Galactica.  Perhaps they gave him command of Galactica, told him if he did well on the Bulldog mission they would give him a better battlestar, then moved him back when he 'failed'

Regardless the questions raised, that image is pretty indisputable, since the document was created for and used in the show.

Tikey

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 308
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2006, 03:52:35 PM »
Quote from: karajorma;49772
I suspect that Adama must have commanded the Galactica for a fairly long time, been transfered to the Valkyrie and then sent back to the Galactica. We're told in the mini series that Adama didn't let them upgrade the Galactica and that makes no sense if he wasn't its CO at the time.


Perhaps the refusal to network the computers of the Galactica is common to all it's commanders.

Josh_88

  • Aerelon Viper Pilot
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 608
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2006, 10:31:09 PM »
Tikey, i dont think so, thats been a very adama deal, he doesnt like networks, because of his experiences with them.

and dukeman's explanation seems to make sense, perhaps he already had galactica, they gave him the valk for that mission and if it went well he could keep it, so he wanted (his men... ie bulldog, tigh, etc) but after it got frakked up, they gave him galactica back
Cl1nt: I for one, welcome our Spork overlords
 
"Sometimes you gotta roll the hard six"


lazarus3d

  • CookieMonster
  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2006, 02:21:08 AM »
Quote from: Snagger;49775
There are a few inaccuracies here.  

There has never been any indaction that Adama previously ioperated on Galactica in any capacity other than as a Viper pilot 40+ years before (and that he was aboard at the end of the Cylon War when she was boarded, hence his comment to Roslin about "many good people dying aboard this ship" when she asked for the network).  He must have been in command for a reasonable period before the new attacks in order to be so familiar with the vessel and its crew, but that can't be mush more than 2 years.

The Galactica has most certainly been upgraded over the years.  All that has been done by Adama is the prevention of networking of the computers and the more frequent disabling of automated systems (like the Vipers' autoland - Apollo in the mini).  This comes from his personal experience in the Galactica boarding incident, where the networks were used by the Cylons against them (from the Adama/Tigh deleted drinking scene).


Cutscenes aren't canon according to RDM.
If there is one thing upon this earth that mankind love and admire better than another, it is a brave man, -- it is the man who dares to look the devil in the face and tell him he is a devil. -- James A. Garfield

lazarus3d

  • CookieMonster
  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2006, 02:23:34 AM »
Quote from: Josh_88;49832
Tikey, i dont think so, thats been a very adama deal, he doesnt like networks, because of his experiences with them.

and dukeman's explanation seems to make sense, perhaps he already had galactica, they gave him the valk for that mission and if it went well he could keep it, so he wanted (his men... ie bulldog, tigh, etc) but after it got frakked up, they gave him galactica back


Why would the admiralty undermine the command structure of two ships by transferring a commanding officer and XO in and out like a pair of guys on a bungee cord? They expect the commander to come back to his old ship in failure after being promoted and still be able to command effectively? Hell no.
If there is one thing upon this earth that mankind love and admire better than another, it is a brave man, -- it is the man who dares to look the devil in the face and tell him he is a devil. -- James A. Garfield

Dukeman42

  • The voice in your head
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1641
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2006, 03:52:09 AM »
Quote from: lazarus3d;49920
Why would the admiralty undermine the command structure of two ships by transferring a commanding officer and XO in and out like a pair of guys on a bungee cord?


Two words:  Covert Operations.

lazarus3d

  • CookieMonster
  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2006, 03:57:03 AM »
Quote from: Dukeman42;49931
Two words:  Covert Operations.


Oh that's BS and  you know it. They'd use an existing ship with its existing command structure.
If there is one thing upon this earth that mankind love and admire better than another, it is a brave man, -- it is the man who dares to look the devil in the face and tell him he is a devil. -- James A. Garfield

Josh_88

  • Aerelon Viper Pilot
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 608
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2006, 04:04:54 AM »
not if the valk was specifically suited for the mission being newer then the galactica. it makes sense to me. adama had the experience for the mission, but galactica didnt have what was needed to complete it. it was very clear in the show that the reason he went to the valk was because of that mission, and he clearly said he wanted his men, in reference to bulldog, and tigh as well.... and after screwing the mission up, he gets sent back to galactica to retire gracefully on the "bucket" while he and the ship rot away as a flying museum... the equivalent to being sent to some remote military base in BFE as a punishment, like we see in movies, were failures get shipped off to the coldest crappiest place the military can find....  it seems logical, plus, the admiralty may have had a lot more going on then we (through adama's memories) know about.
Cl1nt: I for one, welcome our Spork overlords
 
"Sometimes you gotta roll the hard six"


ngtm1r

  • \"Guns\", Galactica
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 467
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2006, 05:57:31 AM »
It still doesn't make any sense. Lazarus is correct. You don't screw up the command structure like that. If you want to put somebody more experienced in command you'd put him in charge over Valkyrie's normal captain, not replacing him.
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

Dukeman42

  • The voice in your head
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1641
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2006, 06:01:03 AM »
*shrug* well, it's believable in my mind, and I guess that's all that matters.