Author Topic: [Colonial] Pegasus - Status: WIP  (Read 16080 times)

Okino

• View Profile
[Colonial] Pegasus - Status: WIP
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2006, 04:33:46 AM »
FYI, the panels are modelled flat on the Pegasus (and Galactica), and morphed to the hull.

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2006, 05:06:38 AM »
Stunning!!!

You just wait till this god forsaken demo is out of the way, and I get back to my Galactica without interuption and distraction. So many new features to take advantage of since I've built her foundations.

Scotchy

• Polygon Factory
    • View Profile
    • http://snsdev.blogspot.com/
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2006, 01:27:48 PM »
Morphed to the hull? I would love to know more about that.

I suspect that the underlying shape of the hull is a bit different from the averaged shape of the plating on top. Like the rounded plates on the outside edges of the flight pods. the underlying edge shape is unmistakably flat. It actually looks like the plates set on pedistals extruding from the main body.

I'm pretty sure the the basic body mesh of this model I'm making is inaccurate to the production mesh, but that level of detail seems like perhaps too much for this game. Sad...

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2006, 02:09:08 PM »
Quote from: Scotchy;50387
To Kara

I've built the nametag as a mesh object (somewhat painstakingly; I'll detail it below) and am quite attached to the idea of it popping up when the detail box range is triggered. don't you think that will be awesome to have that name and registry number just sticking up out of the plates while sittig a few meters away in a Mk 2?

I had planned something similar for the distance name-tag. A 2 face rectangle floating about 0.25 units off the surface with the name tagged on. Possibly a higher resolution texture (512x128 or such; All white with Alpha for transparency... or like that. Lowest resource cost for the dimentions and transparency.)

That's pretty much exactly what Karma did with the Fenris.

If there is a way that the name tag mesh could be 'attached' to the ship so that the mesh could be specified for each instance of a ship in a mission/level (I have never med this FRED character, so I don't know what's what :P), that would certainly be optimial.

I'm just really diggin' on the modeled name. I'll be unhappy if it has to go. ;)

I don't know how detail boxes work but if they can work like non-targetable,  subsystems we could simply let anyone using a non-Pegasus Mercury class blow up that subsystem before the start of the mission, leaving only the texture version visible (and easily changed to another name).

If that isn't possible (DaBrain or Omni are the guys to ask) we have to we can always take a leaf out of the way FS2 did it and include seperate Mercury class and Pegasus models. The Pegasus would have the detail box and the others would simply have to use textures.

Once we've figured out how to do it we should do something similar with the Galactica model because it should also be possible to make Maybe-Columbia class Battlestars other than the Galactica.

Okino

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2006, 03:47:38 PM »
Quote from: Scotchy;50412
Morphed to the hull? I would love to know more about that.

I suspect that the underlying shape of the hull is a bit different from the averaged shape of the plating on top. Like the rounded plates on the outside edges of the flight pods. the underlying edge shape is unmistakably flat. It actually looks like the plates set on pedistals extruding from the main body.

I'm pretty sure the the basic body mesh of this model I'm making is inaccurate to the production mesh, but that level of detail seems like perhaps too much for this game. Sad...

I'll send you an example of it if you PM me your email address.

Scotchy

• Polygon Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2006, 02:13:22 AM »
For those of you who like wireshots and the like.

31114 Faces total.

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2006, 04:39:55 AM »
A piece of this thread had to go public. So Scotchy, indulge in ego stroking :)

http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3000

DaBrain

• Dude with micro shadows
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/starfox
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2006, 03:19:40 PM »
Quote from: karajorma;50417

I don't know how detail boxes work but if they can work like non-targetable,  subsystems we could simply let anyone using a non-Pegasus Mercury class blow up that subsystem before the start of the mission, leaving only the texture version visible (and easily changed to another name).

They work like non-targetable subobjects. They're separate mehes.
You can create an outer and an inner detail box. The outer one has a low-poly mesh or decal on it and the inner box has the 'real' detail in it.

It's still pretty simple to set up.
$detailbox: 1  means you'll see the model when you're in the 'box'
$detailbox: -1  will only render the model when you're on the outside of the 'box' and hide it whe you're flying into the box.

So the objects 'switch'.

Here is a test model I made:
http://www.game-warden.com/starfox/Non_SF_related_stuff/DetailBox_test_kit.rar

Although it's only using the 'inner' box, you might be interested in seeing how it works. A MAX file should be included.
Watch your shadow
-------------------
"the more i look at the shots the more i\'m becomming a..starfox fan :nod:"
-Dodger-

"Laziness is the first step to efficiency."
-DaBrain-

Official Q-Games fan

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2006, 03:50:08 PM »
I know they're seperate meshes DaBrain but the issue is whether or not you can link the subobject to a subsystem and blow them up in FRED.

If not we'll need two table entries. Not that it's a huge problem. By the time we're ready for the full game we'll probably be allowed at least 300 even if they haven't been made dynamic yet.

DaBrain

• Dude with micro shadows
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/starfox
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2006, 04:09:35 PM »
Hmmm if they're linked to another subobject (subsystem), they shouldn't appear anymore when this system isn't rendered anymore.
Watch your shadow
-------------------
"the more i look at the shots the more i\'m becomming a..starfox fan :nod:"
-Dodger-

"Laziness is the first step to efficiency."
-DaBrain-

Official Q-Games fan

Scotchy

• Polygon Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2006, 01:54:14 AM »
New Renders.

I made a nifty image java script enabled image map of the thumbnails in Imageready, but LO AND BEHOLD... this ruttin' forum won't let me use it... NOT EVEN IFRAMES!

So I'll just link you to the pics individually. But not before linking to that damned thumbnail batch!

THUMBS

12.16.2006 Backside - Preliminary work on fleshing out the panel details on the rearward half of the mid-section. they were temporary.

12.16.2006 Closeup - Tight camera to show the "profile" of the new plates. I've kept this basic shape in the 12.21 shots and intend to continue this form from here-on-out.

12.16.2006 Plates - Revealing the Plating pattern. this has changed somewhat and is now accurate and final.

12.16.2006 Underside - Pardon the missing bits and the floating spine in this shot. I just pressed render without bothering to check that my mesh was untidy.

12.18.2006 Texture Test - Simple box mapping applied to the whole mesh. Looks very untidy in places, but this was meant to be a simple "what it might be like" render.

12.21.2006 Pod Interior - Newest images. The Body and Tail plates have AGAIN be remade as well as the top Flight Pod's plates. Also, I built the intrerior of the pods. I think some larger structures toward the center of the length are needed, but at the moment, I'm out of inspiration. Like airport terminals and control rooms and such.

StarSlayer! Inky! Omni! Whoever! I need inspiration!

12.21.2006 Rear - The Butt. The plating as you see it here (excluding the head and flight pod arms) is final. Well.. I might vertex tweak it in some areas, but yeah. Final.

12.21.2006 Under - Again, pardon the floating spine. I really need to rebuild that thing anyway. The plating on the lower flight pods arent rebuily yet. Given that I have three families and all of them celebrate Xmas, I might not get around to finishing those until the end of the month. We shall see.

Yep.

OH! Ajax! I need your logo thingy. I've lost the one I had. Something larger than your avatar... and with alpha transparency please. If you have that.

Or just the font. I can replicate the other stuff if I had that font.

FusionStorm

• This is my BOOMSTICK!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2006, 01:56:42 AM »
Sweet. :D
Four Score and so many months ago, us cylons kicked your colonial butts.

Want to learn Truespace 3.2?: My Tutorial

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2006, 02:07:09 AM »
Spooooooooooooooooge!

Ok... I need an XO (one that all respects and has no conflict of interest in project work/bias). I gotta get back to modelling soon.

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2006, 02:33:01 AM »
O man i want that job!

*Gets post first Cylon war emotional baggage, looks for loose wife, gets hammered*

j/k

Pegasus is well... Fraktastic
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freelancer

• One Vision One Purpose...
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nexus-studios.net
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2006, 02:39:23 AM »
good work fellas!
Bringing you products that work... in my head!  :ha: