Author Topic: [Colonial] Pegasus - Status: WIP  (Read 3637 times)

Okino

• View Profile
[Colonial] Pegasus - Status: WIP
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 05:03:55 PM »
Nice work so far.

DaBrain

• Dude with micro shadows
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/starfox
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 11:48:42 PM »
Quote from: Ajax;49463

[...]
are you going to modle her name onto the hull? like on the mesh or texture it?. the 3d option would be the more visualy appealing option;)
[...]

I'd suggest to do both. Texure it on the hull first and overlay it with rather detailed meshes (keep them as separate objects).
This is a perfect situation to use detail boxes.

Example:
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/862/daribsim0.jpg

Setup: Add this to the 'user defined' tab of each letter model:
$detail_box: 1
$box_min: 1500,-1500,-1500
$box_max: 1500,1500,1500

and... you're done. The engine can work this this already. ;)
Watch your shadow
-------------------
"the more i look at the shots the more i\'m becomming a..starfox fan :nod:"
-Dodger-

"Laziness is the first step to efficiency."
-DaBrain-

Official Q-Games fan

Ajax

• Disgruntled Bartender
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2006, 12:24:54 PM »
scotchy ive got new refrences for you, you will reall find them usefull, also shows a cool feature on pegasus you have all missed:P, ill leave scotchy to show it in his renders;)

scotchy PM me your email addy so i can forward the refrences, you really want them befroe you do any more work on the flight pod. trust me

Scotchy

• Polygon Factory
    • View Profile
    • http://snsdev.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 04:38:45 AM »
The first two are the newest, rendered only moments ago. The third is from this morning. the Rodger Young is sized to 550 units/meters which is supposed to be accurate, but the Peggy is sized from the orthographics that I'm using. It's about 1772 units long, which doesnt sound large enough to me.

Oh well.

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 04:57:31 AM »
in the extended version of 'Pegasus,' Cain mentioned that Pegasus was 'nearly twice the size of Galactica;'  I'm sure she was referring to volume, rather than length or the likes, but if that helps, good:)

Oh yeah, and she is looking G R E A T!

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2006, 09:23:10 AM »
That Pegasus is :drool:

Scotchy

• Polygon Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2006, 04:23:21 PM »
Cannae have people thinkin' I'm deed, now can I?

Plates, plates, and more plates. And Plates.

Only 31316 faces! WHAT A BARGAIN!!!

IT EVEN COMES WITH A NAME TAG!

:pimp:

Oh yeah... Omni? I need something to post on my blog. It's all dusty. Thanatos cleared for public consumption?

Lt. Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tuomaskankola.com
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2006, 04:47:07 PM »
Looking sweet!

Now, you should be able to spend at least 10k polys on making some additional cool details. Insides of the flight pods could use something to make them more interesting to fly through ;)

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2006, 04:50:20 PM »
OMG lets go pont the rivets out of a Baseship! Scotchy I salute you!
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2006, 05:39:15 PM »
About the name tag. How are we doing that?

Speaking as a FREDder I've always though that the way the Fenris did it was the smartest way (A rectangular poly just above the surface of the ship onto which you simply put a nameplate texture) as it allowed you to change the name or mirror the texture for the other side of the ship.

Okino

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2006, 06:32:50 PM »
Coolness .... its looking good, what 3D app do you use?

Turambar

• Hand of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2006, 06:37:16 PM »
*spooge*

*runs to get tissue paper*

Ajax

• Disgruntled Bartender
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2006, 12:28:17 AM »
Jesus, shes looking GREAT:D (wipes tear from cheak)

So whos Scripting The Capatins Hand Mission??? lool
would make for some nice footage, recreatiion for the trailer:D hehe, we could slap in in the game as the opening movie

Scotchy

• Polygon Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2006, 02:37:08 AM »
To Kara

I've built the nametag as a mesh object (somewhat painstakingly; I'll detail it below) and am quite attached to the idea of it popping up when the detail box range is triggered. don't you think that will be awesome to have that name and registry number just sticking up out of the plates while sittig a few meters away in a Mk 2?

I had planned something similar for the distance name-tag. A 2 face rectangle floating about 0.25 units off the surface with the name tagged on. Possibly a higher resolution texture (512x128 or such; All white with Alpha for transparency... or like that. Lowest resource cost for the dimentions and transparency.)

If there is a way that the name tag mesh could be 'attached' to the ship so that the mesh could be specified for each instance of a ship in a mission/level (I have never med this FRED character, so I don't know what's what :P), that would certainly be optimial.

I'm just really diggin' on the modeled name. I'll be unhappy if it has to go. ;)

To Okino

3ds Max 8 basic.

To Ajax, and on the subject of an old question that I never answered in the Thanatos thread.

To make the plates, I usually build the base meshes with the eventual plating in mind. I lay edges along plate separation lines and what not. Once the base mesh is finished (or up to the point that it has the important shape information) I send it off by itself to a new scene. Copy it as a frozen REFERENCE mesh and hide it away. Then I lay all the other cuts I need into the cloned mesh. This can be quite a few, because while I made the mesh with the paneling in mind, at some points it would have been wasteful to add an extra line (and 16 polies or what-not along with it). I usually need to 'study' shots of the studio mesh to ge the paneling right anyway.

On a side note, the paneling on the pegasus is beautiful, mathematically. I suppose Jose Perez must be as obsessive about his meshes as I am, because it seems that when I translate from reference to mesh, the measurements are always neat or logical. Rarely do I see haphazard or sketchy. I know I'm being vague, sorry.

Anyway. Once I have the edges cut to define the plating, I select groups of plates (not touching) and inset or bevel them by a number (which has varied, but settled at 2 units for now), detach them from the mesh, and hide them (to keep the scene manageable).

I do this for all the plates I need until the original mesh is a skeletonish looking husk. I might delete that mesh or keep ahold of it for a bit in case I need ot recut a plate.

I then simply attack and clean up the inset/beveled plates and then bevel/extrude them (beveling with a positive extrusion of 2 units and an outward bevel of 1 unit). I then clean THAT up, because certain of the panels get twitchy because of edit poly mode and some vertices with inverse normals. (If anyone knows a way to flip a vertex normal in 3dsmax, help a man out please. I cannot find a function to do that aywhere... only flip face normals)

Of course then I just Xref the panel mesh into the original scene (which should line up perfectly if you had the foresight to put/leave your REFERENCE mesh at the same coordinates as it is in the base mesh.

The Xref isn't totally necessary, but It helps me keep things clear in my head. Once the model is finished (or needs to be exported) I'll make the Xreffed objects unique to the scene and get the ehole thing sorted.

Now... was that a garbled mess, or did you get that? I have a way of explaining things that only the insane seem to get.

To Everyone Else

\m/

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2006, 02:51:58 AM »
Scotchy your WIP shot just replaced a really, really, really nice High Rez shot of a F-18C on my work computer, Pegasus is just that good.  Can't wait till she's out the slipways and the shipyards are open for non-cannons again ;)
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]