Author Topic: [Colonial] Pegasus - Status: WIP  (Read 2893 times)

Scotchy

• Polygon Factory
    • View Profile
    • http://snsdev.blogspot.com/
[Colonial] Pegasus - Status: WIP
« on: November 13, 2006, 02:45:46 AM »
I want to get this started off right with a few notes:

First Point: Ajax's computer is having some mega troubles and it seems that he may not be able to finish the Pegasus in the near future, or at least before December 15th (which I seem to remember as being the due date for the video).

Second Point: I do have access to Ajax's work so far and he has accomplished quite alot. However, due to many differences in our modeling techniques, I felt the need to start afresh with a new mesh.

Third Point: I am using Ajax's mesh as a sort of reference (in addition to the others available). It would be silly to toss out all of the work that he has done when it can be put to great use speeding up the second build. This means (to me) co-credits. Hence the credits in the pic.

No more points.

Just the usual modeller apologetics. The flight pod connection pylons are mostly placeholders. The hard edges in alot of areas are intentional. I'm leaving hard edges and basic shapes until it's closer to a whole picture. The simpler versions can be saved as LODs. The engines are missing and will arrive shortly.

I like the color pink. I'm sorry. I just do.

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 03:12:41 AM »
A great start!!

DaBrain

• Dude with micro shadows
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/starfox
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 07:33:51 AM »
Wow, great start!

I hope somebody explained the detail box stuff to you. Cause this model will need it.
Watch your shadow
-------------------
"the more i look at the shots the more i\'m becomming a..starfox fan :nod:"
-Dodger-

"Laziness is the first step to efficiency."
-DaBrain-

Official Q-Games fan

Lt. Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tuomaskankola.com
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 10:36:15 AM »
Echoing duke and DB, it looks like a great start. I hope you have some good references :)

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 08:38:25 PM »
Scotchy was provided with the same references as Ajax. The torched has simply been passed on.

Ajax

• Disgruntled Bartender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 12:01:04 AM »
shit, ur moving quick:P

im really liking what im seeing so far, sorry im such a box modler lol, need to use splines more lol. the general shape is coming on nice. with the interior of the flight pods id use the basic version that was already desgined but never seen, and enhance it and texture as u see fit. also the trench that runs through the head of the ship is like this. its a feature i only notices after watching the ship in episodes and that, doesnt always show up best in the renders we have. it isnt included in my modle due to the fact i hadnt got around to it. heres a quick pick of what i mean.

other than that shes looking good, cant wait to see her detailed and plated;). also dont forget to ask omni for the cg turret mesh for referance when it comes to building her big guns, dont be fooled they are difrent to the galactica ones:)lol

also thanks for adding me name on the renders:), now go pimp that peggy:D lol:pimp:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 12:25:26 AM by Ajax »

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 12:56:41 AM »
Scotchy is the new....

BEAST_MASTER!!!!!
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Turambar

• Hand of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 01:03:47 AM »
judging by how good the dreadstar looks, pegasus should turn out great.

Okino

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 05:29:39 PM »
Nice start. look forward to seing it finished.

Scotchy

• Polygon Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 02:36:40 AM »
Progress! But not a whole lot. As some of you may be aware, I work full time from Thursday night to Monday night. As more of you are doubtless aware, this past week was Thanksgiving holiday in the states. I have three families that wanted me at their tables at various points in the week. And I work retail... for Wal-Mart. Last night was insane. I got hit in the back of the head with a Compaq computer, very much intentionally, because I failed to "Get the hell out of my way!"

If any of you in the US have ever attended the beginning of a Black Friday sale at a Wal-Mart, you might know how that all goes down, but for those of you who haven't... I invite you to imagine a swarm of angry, tired, consumer-bees. A mob of angry shoppers. In short, my head hurts.

So forgive the unimpressive progress. I hope to be on target for the 15th (or a few days before), and I am currently praying to Merciful Allah and His Noodly Countenance that I can find all the time I need to get it ready.

Some aspwcts of the mesh that were present in the titular post of this thread have vanished. Fear not, ye! For I have merely removed them for the LOD split. which happens after I finish posting this. Once that is done, I can get to work making more nociveable changes on the LOD 0 mesh.

Current Triangle-Counts

With plating and 'Detail Box' Xref objects: 5770
Without plating and 'Detail Box' Xref objects: 2754
Total Triangle Budget for LOD 0: 65536

The end budget is flexible and somewhat tenative. It is currently a reasonable large power of two number. But if the mesh calls for more polies or a multiple detail box level thing could be implemented, I could go higher. I could see this mesh goign to 100k or more, but If I need to I'll keep it under my limit.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 02:39:11 AM by Scotchy »

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 03:04:08 AM »
STICK IT NEXT TO THE DREAD! STICK IT NEXT TO THE DREAD!!!

great work give it some cigars and ittl go far.
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Scotchy

• Polygon Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 09:36:46 PM »
For Slayer:

I'm sure the sizes aren't how you envision them, but thats' how they loaded when I Xref'd the Thanatos into the scene. I honestly like the Thanatos as a smaller-than-battlestar size vessel.

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 10:05:18 PM »
Well her role is a Dreadnought and she needs to mount Battlestar grade weapons so i figured more of a Battleship/Carrier scale differnce then Carrier/destroyer.  Shes lighter and leaner then a BSG but she should be around maybe have as big as Pegasus. Certainly bigger then a flight pod.  But design wize im happy that they appear like they came out of a similar design bureau.
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Scotchy

• Polygon Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 01:35:41 AM »
I've been able to find lots of extra 'me' time today, so I have what would have been a week's worth of progress... IN ONE DAY! Yay!

Looks like I've got one or two versions of The One True God on my side. (I suspect the pasta-based one.)

Right. The engines are where I stopped. They are mostly correct in shape and placement, though lacking in major detail ATM. I wanted to go ahead and make them so that I could get that particular monkey off my back. I split the mesh into LOD 0 and 1 today and have done some work on both. Most of what I've done consists of smallish things. You'll notice the engines right away. The grille work in the inset areas along the center mass of the ship are also new-ish. I've bevelled the edges as they needed and corrected alot of niggling little shape problems.

It *should* be smooth sailing from here on out. I'm hoping it will be at least

Here is LOD 0 at 13370 triangles:

And here's LOD 1 at 1978 triangles:

Now I wind down for what is left of my work-free evening.

Crits?

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 04:16:49 AM »
Gorgeous!