Author Topic: Is a Squadron in a Wing or is a Wing in a Squadron?  (Read 5750 times)

Madrider

• View Profile
Possible Spoiler!
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2006, 04:07:35 PM »
Quote from: StarSlayer;50168
You can still be a Commander while being a ships captain in the USN.  While you get the "Captain" honorific ur offical rank however, i still commander.

Captain in fact is a rank in the Navy. The job they perform is commanding officer (CO); You must be thinking the civilian captains, which equals to the Skipper in the navy.
However, Adama's rank does not conflict with neither his command, nor the story line (as seen in S3 ep8-Hero).

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
Is a Squadron in a Wing or is a Wing in a Squadron?
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2006, 04:27:06 PM »
That wasnt my point there is a Commander(CDR silver oak leaf) rank and a Captain(CAPT silver eagle) rank in the USN.  A Commander can be placed in charge of a warship(generally somthing small like a Destroyer), if he does well he can advance to the rank of Captain(if he doesn't then his career is basically lame duck), but while commanding a warship he will still be refered to as "Captain" even though he is still technically a Commander.
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Rictus

• Orange Squadron C.O.
    • View Profile
I say cheps...
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2006, 04:43:15 PM »
You're missing one important. canonical source on this matter -

The Royal Air Force, chaps... What ho, we did this stuff first ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force#Wings

Cricket anyone? Oh those darned gerry bombers have come to have a pop at old Blighty again... Scramble fighters then home for tea and scones :lol:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Captain Richard \'Rictus\' Williams
Orange Squadron C.O.
Wing Training Officer

Imperator

• Imperator has conquered!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cylonbase.com/
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2006, 04:49:31 PM »
Pretty nice, but I think RDM based his stuff on American military, despite the RAF obviously being much more original and better organised! :p
"Reality is Cylon technology obviously outstrips our own."

The Rictus

• Orange Squadron C.O.
    • View Profile
scrambled?
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2006, 05:04:12 PM »
Agreed - it does make sense. I was just trying a minor wind-up. You caught me out lol...

However, the structure seems rather oddly arranged, for example: a Colonel being responsible to a Commander - although in Royal Navy tradition (back in the sailing ships days) the Captain of the vessel was not necessarily a captain in rank - often a Lt Cdr or a Commander, and the Major, Colonel etc (ie a more army-style rank) was in charge of the marine unit posted to the ship.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Captain Richard \'Rictus\' Williams
Orange Squadron C.O.
Wing Training Officer

Tikey

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2006, 05:34:29 PM »
Well, as I recall, RDM used the USN rank but adapting it to the clasic series because he didn't want to change Commander Adama to Captain Adama, and so on. So it's some strange type of hybrid.

Crixx

• Give the order.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2006, 05:39:58 PM »
There are people in spaceships fighting robots-gone-evil with an infinite supply of alcohol and you're debating the reality of the rank structure?

Deary me :p

skippy9146

• Need a Oil Change
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 07:06:05 PM »
Quote from: Crixx;50209
There are people in spaceships fighting robots-gone-evil with an infinite supply of alcohol and you're debating the reality of the rank structure?

:biggrin1:

Snagger

• View Profile
    • http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2006, 07:38:06 PM »
Quote from: The Rictus;50202

Cricket anyone? Oh those darned gerry bombers have come to have a pop at old Blighty again... Scramble fighters then home for tea and scones :lol:
The RAF Officer ranks, names and insignia are based on the Royal Navy's.  The only difference is the lowest grade: Pilot Officer (with a very thin stripe) vs Midshipman (collar button and tab).

Flying Officer vs Sub Lt (same medium width stripe for both).  Flt Lt = Lt, Sqn Ldr = Lt Cdr, Wing Cdr = Crd, Group Capt = Capt, Air Cmdr = Cmdr, and so on.  The stripes are identical (except in colour and for the Navy's ring on the uppermost stripe) which all harks back to the RAF's heritage in the Royal Flying Corps (Army) and Fleet Air Arm (Navy).
something I do understand;)  : http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk

Coota0

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2006, 08:18:16 PM »
Quote from: The Rictus;50202

Fascinating stuff after the earlier post about the RAF my curiosity was piqued. I love how we do things just to be different than the Brits, for instance in the USAF a group is smaller than a wing. :nod:

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2006, 08:42:37 PM »
I would be interested in seeing how the USAF structure fits up against the French Air Force(at least the early WWI era),  the origins of the Army Air Corps latter the USAF has many ties back to the old Lafyette Escardrille of WWI.  American pilots volunteered to fly for the French and those veterans such as Raul Luffberry played a significant role in training the new US flyers(such as Rickenbacker).  If the US carried over more of the French structure then the British, well we know how the French and the Brits get along.
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

David Pym

• Viper TopGun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/mightypym
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2006, 08:56:33 PM »
my two cent is that a Wing is made up by many Squadrons but in BSG it seems they are AirGroups which is same as a wing i believe

Colonel David \'\'Hawkie\'\' Pym
BattleStar Aquarius
CAG WhiteKnight AirGroup
Viper MarkII

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2006, 10:23:54 PM »
Quote from: Crixx;50209

Cause if we don't get it right now the entire team is going to get mauled when the full game comes out :)

Coota0

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2006, 11:35:19 PM »
Quote from: StarSlayer;50223
I would be interested in seeing how the USAF structure fits up against the French Air Force(at least the early WWI era),  the origins of the Army Air Corps latter the USAF has many ties back to the old Lafyette Escardrille of WWI.  American pilots volunteered to fly for the French and those veterans such as Raul Luffberry played a significant role in training the new US flyers(such as Rickenbacker).  If the US carried over more of the French structure then the British, well we know how the French and the Brits get along.

Good point I hadn't thought about that.

Coota0

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2006, 11:36:12 PM »
Quote from: David Pym;50226
my two cent is that a Wing is made up by many Squadrons but in BSG it seems they are AirGroups which is same as a wing i believe

In the Navy airgroup and airwing are pretty interchangeble.