Author Topic: Max's BSG Soundtrack thread  (Read 19043 times)

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
Max's BSG Soundtrack thread
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2006, 02:51:06 PM »
Quote from: ngtm1r;47102
BSG's soundtrack is an interesting case of overspecialization. Particularly Season Two, but it also goes for the Miniseries, the soundtrack is so integral to the show that it doesn't stand well on its own. The only tracks off the Season 2 CD that stands on their own as excellent are Martial Law and One Year Later. Some of the other tracks have parts that can stand on their own, but not in their entirety. (I don't count the Colonial Anthem...it's really not Mr. McCreary's. :p)

I disagree.  'Something Dark is Coming,' 'One Year Later,' 'Adama and Roslin,' and many others "stand on their own" in my mind.  And thats the entire pieces, not just parts.  I guess that's just my opinion, but like the voice I made heard yesterday at the polls, I feel I'm right:)

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2006, 03:34:49 PM »
But actually... we're not talking about composition anyway. That's the problem in every case when trying to reproduce a x-like or y-like way to compose.

Lots of composers use the eastwest librairies, and i know it because i oftenly recognize some electronics samples or loops. But they are not working like me or all mod composer with only virtual effects : they have plenty of real fx boxes with convolution virtualizers that made a real feel of "an orchestra playing the piece".

If i could do that here in my appartment the result would be really better... and besides that, nobody share their knowledge about mixing, down mixing or pre-mastering the sound of the different instruments, it would be nice to learn things about different configuration to get more diversified sound and audio renders. :)

Anyway, what about the thing a ask a few post earlier ?... what do you mean by a smooth track / song ? :D

( Out of the subject : here is a song inspired from the Juno reactor / don davis work for requiem http://kaiderenphp.free.fr/son/reqouiem/Fight%20Theme%20-%20Aim.mp3 )

And about Lilith corporation, what can i say... i'm working with more than 250 soundtracks just behind me, learning how to compose, organize the differents instruments, or just inspirating from a part of a song i like. So, it could "look like" Williams, Don Davis, Brian Tyler, James Horner... anyone i could have listen huhu ^^

Admiral Zaarin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2006, 06:53:13 PM »
Quote from: __MaX__;47022
Anyway, somebody talked about a "smooth" song, what you mean about that ? Ambiant relaxed theme ?

Slow pase, tender feel and yes, relaxed theme.

Shinzon

• Lt. SG \"Shinzon\"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2006, 12:11:06 AM »
V2 is very nice, has a militaristic type of feeling for BSG... it can be applied very easily to a game like BTRL thats dealing with heavy combat and senseless killing ;)

PsychoticShroom

• Callsign: Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2006, 01:46:58 AM »
Nice work there max, keep it up.

most all the crits I have have already been said so I'll just say the one that hasn't.

From 00:04 to 00:12 of the track, (measures 3-6 to be exact, if your going by common time), the way that drum sequence flows seem to be awkward and it kinda stands out from the rest of the piece, in a weird way. I would suggest to use something simpler there.

I'm not a percussionist so I have no idea what would work....

EDIT: the crit above is for V2
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 02:32:06 AM by PsychoticShroom »

cephas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2006, 02:21:09 AM »
What software/tools did you use to make that?  I'm very impressed with the results if it is a mostly synth piece.

I'll also second the comments above that it sounds awesome.  The percussion in V2 might need a little bit of tweaking, though.

Scotchy

• Polygon Factory
    • View Profile
    • http://snsdev.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2006, 04:43:32 AM »
Note on BSG S2 Track "One Year Later"

Listen to the Soundtracks for both of the Bourne films. Of particular relevence are the tracks "Bourne On Land" and "Nach Deutschland" fomr the "Bourne Identity" and "Bourne Supermacy" OSTs, respectively.

I don't want to level accuzations of heavy 'borrowing', but come on... they're practically the same thing. A rearragement, I know, but it's so obvious.

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2006, 07:14:08 AM »
Quote from: Roy Fokker;47105
He is not really a true composer... from what I know, he has a whole team of young composers who are very good at conveying his ideas into actual music, while he sits back and takes most of the credit, kind of like how the painters in previous centuries only did the important bits of a painting (like the central characters - in this case, the themes) while they had a group of young artists who specialized in buildings and animals and such... add a state of the art digital production facility, and you get someone capable of churning out various scores in shortest ammounts of time, when needed.

Again - from what I know.

Hmm, curious. Thanks for explaining that.

Quote from: ngtm1r;47102
BSG's soundtrack is an interesting case of overspecialization. Particularly Season Two, but it also goes for the Miniseries, the soundtrack is so integral to the show that it doesn't stand well on its own. The only tracks off the Season 2 CD that stands on their own as excellent are Martial Law and One Year Later. Some of the other tracks have parts that can stand on their own, but not in their entirety. (I don't count the Colonial Anthem...it's really not Mr. McCreary's. :p)

I also disagree..."Prelude to War" is great for driving in traffic, although if you're prone to road rage I would strongly recommend against it.

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2006, 07:23:07 AM »
Quote from: WMCoolmon;47206
I also disagree..."Prelude to War" is great for driving in traffic, although if you're prone to road rage I would strongly recommend against it.

OMG i thought i was the only one!  Course if you start getting poed u can skip back to Roslin and Adama and cool off :P
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

crimson96

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2006, 09:42:33 AM »
"Roslin and Adama", as well as "Balthar's Dream" both are at the very least strongly influenced by the "Black Hawk Down" Soundtrack, and at the worst almost straight ripoffs.  I appreciated the reference to BHD especially the little "Raptor One Crashsite" subtitle right as Balthar's Dream starts playing, but at the same time I also feel like its cheating to try and transplant the emotion of that movie to the Kobol portions of "Valley of Darkness" like they did so blaitantly.  Still, it remains one of my favorite episodes.  They made us care about the Chiefs deck crew in the miniseries, and then killed them one by one in the most heart wrenching ways possible. Redshirts just dont die like they used to . . .

But I digress, while you guys are at it, you can play "Savin' Me" by Nickleback in the Menu or something like they do on the US promos for BSG. :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 10:52:40 AM by crimson96 »

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2006, 10:13:32 AM »
Quote from: WMCoolmon;47206
Hmm, curious. Thanks for explaining that.

Yeah, I just looked it up on Wikipedia, and it appears my friend was right:

Other composers like Steve Jablonsky, James Dooley, Heitor Pereira and Geoff Zanelli are working in Zimmer's studio Remote Control Productions (formerly known as Media Ventures). Accomplished composers including Harry Gregson-Williams, Mark Mancina, John Powell and Klaus Badelt are also all former members of the studio.

I also found this article:
http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2006/14_Jun---The_Replacement_Composers.asp

I HATE industrialization of film music, and Zimmer and his proteges are doing just that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 10:20:52 AM by Roy Fokker »

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2006, 11:39:14 AM »
Thanks for the idea PsychoticShroom, i'll try something else :)

cephas, i use lots of software, Cubase SX3 is the main where i mostly use VST Instruments like Kontakt 2, EQWLSO Gold Orchestra, Vapor, Adrenaline or StormDrums (and that's just some of them, i've got plenty of samples banks)... and for the additional sounds i use Reason in rewire. My next acquisition will be Symphonic Choirs...

Roy, Industrialization of the film music is kinda normal. Have you ever thought about the number of movie released in a month ? What's the problem to have great soundtracks even if it's done like every products in the movies industry : for the money ? And by the way, all composer can't afford a real orchestra :)

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2006, 11:45:49 AM »
Quote from: __MaX__;47225
Roy, Industrialization of the film music is kinda normal. Have you ever thought about the number of movie released in a month ? What's the problem to have great soundtracks even if it's done like every products in the movies industry : for the money ? And by the way, all composer can't afford a real orchestra :)

Indeed, I know all these things. But with the amount of money involved, they should be able to afford the real thing for expensive films. Zimmer can win all the Oscars he wants, he'll never match, say, the LOTR score.

But the digital sound is definitely pretty believable, as long as real instruments are not abandoned.

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2006, 12:26:52 PM »
Digital sound... that's the matter today, are we really talking about digital sound ? Yup, in the way "an analogic sound digitalised", but the instruments Zimmer use or me... are real sounds the only difference in the final result is the "real instrument player feel" ;)

Anyway, here is an intro for the ambiant theme is that what you want ? Dear Gods

skippy9146

• Need a Oil Change
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2006, 02:46:44 PM »
At the risk of getting off-topic... Is there any "starter" software (i.e. FREE, I am in between jobs at the moment.) out there that can allow the beginner (me) to dabble in digital composing to get a feel for the basics?

It's always been something that I had an interest in, but never quite got into.