Author Topic: Max's BSG Soundtrack thread  (Read 18647 times)

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
Max's BSG Soundtrack thread
« on: November 05, 2006, 08:21:49 PM »
Hi everyone... as i'm a BSG fan and a freespace fan, i follow the mod since a while. But i never think about making a song for you. Anyway... here is some of my work kinda orchestra-like.

I just bought a new sample pack who will give me some Taiko samples like BSG, i think i can do something for you.

Less talk, more songs =)

http://kaiderenphp.free.fr/xponantiel/mp3s/lilithcorp.mp3
http://kaiderenphp.free.fr/xponantiel/mp3s/requiemtoaforgottenangel.mp3
http://kaiderenphp.free.fr/xponantiel/mp3s/houseofthe18.mp3

By the way, it's for the mod requiem : http://www.modrequiem.net/eng/

Admiral Zaarin

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 09:05:28 PM »
Quote from: Lithium;46478
The composer section has my interest, but I doubt if my meager skills with Reason would be up to the job.

Go ahead and make some samples. You can only win there.

What about remixing what's already out there?

Allready doing that. ;)

Quote from: __MaX__
Less talk, more songs =)

I'd say you got potential. Could you make couple BSG-style samples? 256kbps and 48kHz, mp3 or ogg. One with fire in it and one peacefull tune.

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 09:55:40 PM »
On the way :D

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 02:34:36 PM »
A test... what do you think ? More BSG-Like i can't =)

http://kaiderenphp.free.fr/son/beyondredline/Fight%20Theme%20-%20Asteroids.mp3

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 03:50:20 PM »
Quote from: __MaX__;46803

http://kaiderenphp.free.fr/son/beyondredline/Fight%20Theme%20-%20Asteroids.mp3

Well, the drums are closer to BSG...but the brass does not jive; there is practically no brass in Bear's music.  He uses more middle-east/far eastern woodwinds and strings, bagpipes, and so forth.  It's a good piece, but better suited for MechWarrior.

Admiral Zaarin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 05:04:37 PM »
Quote from: __MaX__;46803

I copy Duke, sound like MechWarrior. And yes you can, if you believe you can. ;)

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 06:03:27 PM »
I'll try, anyway even if i've got plenty of soundbanks, i didn't have everything. So it's pretty hard to have the original sound.

If what you want is a sound exactly like Gibbs, i think i can't do that for you... even if i believe in it =)

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 07:18:05 PM »
well, for my money I'm actually looking for something closer to Bear McCreary.  And for the record, the team is a bit divided on this; some want original compositions; I want Bear's original music, cut and looped to our needs; the campaign I have developed already has music set to it, and it all works VERY well.  That said, I AM open to original stuff if it holds close to Bear's sound; I'm just one of the ones who will be very hard to convince.

As I said, the opening and closing of your piece sounds very close with the drum work...but the brass kills it as a BSG piece.

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 07:29:56 PM »
I do like it, a lot actually. But kill the brass and the violins (those are used only sparingly). Maybe replace them with bagpipes/drumstick clacking.
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 07:40:56 PM »
... that's the problem xD

I don't have bag pipes... umg, i think so. More than 125 gbs of Eastwest sound. I'll take a look :)

http://kaiderenphp.free.fr/son/beyondredline/Fight%20Theme%20-%20Asteroids%20-%20v2.mp3

Here is a try on a v2... i clearly changed the strings with staccs instead.

Besides that, is there a anywhere compositions already done for the mod ?

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 07:54:33 PM »
Much better, getting closer. The beat kind of breaks down near the beginning (seems to me). It also needs more booming backup - listen to Bear's tracks, you'll see that there's never a moment where there seems to be "empty air" underneath the main beat. It's kind of hard to explain, but basically the track feels like there's the beat - but nothing behind it. :)

Don't take this the wrong way, I really like it, just some constructive criticism. :)
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 07:58:56 PM »
Yeah. I like it too. Shows some real promise.

stuntman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 06:41:41 AM »
I've got to say I like V2.  I'd loose the phase shifted effects at the begining and end though.  They don't sound very organic and a little out of place for a BSG sound track when compaired to the show's music.  Other than that, nice job.

timbo1138

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 03:28:55 PM »
I like it, generally. The drum stuff sounds excellent, spot-on. I don't really like the bits where the brass and strings come in. They sound great, don't get me wrong, but not BSG. With only a couple of exceptions, virtually all space combat music in BSG is completely drum-based, with only minor, slightly eerie background use of other instrumentation. Examples would be: "Starbuck Takes On All Eight" from season 1, and "Scar" from season 2. The drums take the lead, with any other instruments backing them up. It's very pounding and visceral. If the brass/string bit you've got in yours was a little less prominant, it would be great.

"Battle On The Asteroid" from season 1 is something a little bit different. There's more instrumentation, but the drums still very much take the lead, and the instruments aren't at all standard orchestral fare. Bagpipes and eastern instruments, lending it an otherworldly sort of feel. The sections where the instruments take the lead are confined mainly to character and plot-building segments of the battle, the drums are still very much leading the actual combat. In the instrumental bits there's very little overtly military-sounding, all that kind of thing is left to the drums.

"Prelude To War" from season 2 is something else that's different. The drums are still pounding, but there's heavy strings to underscore the emotional drama of everything that's happening. As opposed to "Battle On The Asteroid," it's extremely regimented and military, obviously, and the kind of thing that would be best suited to the big climactic confrontations (like Pegasus, and Resurrection Ship, where it's used). And even then, not all that much of the cue is actually scoring battle scenes. The climactic Viper launch at the end of Pegasus is all drums, and the later parts from the Resurrection Ship battle are focussing more on the drama of Lee floating in space.

That's all the thoughts I can come up with just now. If you haven't invested in the 2 soundtracks, Max, (I'm personally not all that fond of the miniseries one, though it did lay the groundwork), then DO SO. If you're a soundtrack fan like me, you won't regret it, and you really need them if you want to try and imitate the series style.

(Personally, I want to see as much series music in the mod as possible, but I'm not adverse to having new stuff put in as long as it's authentic. Max's latest piece is excellent, just the sort of thing I'd like to hear. In case you didn't twig to it by this point, I'm a massive fan of Bear McCreary's work :p)
"There must be some way outta here,
Said the joker to the thief.
There\'s too much confusion,
I can\'t get no relief..."

All of this has happened before...

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 09:57:16 PM »
What do you call Eastern instruments... i don't really see what is this =)

I got the soundtracks anyway... but i think in a mod, everything has to be done with (for the conversion or inspiration of a universe) the style and inspiration of the modders... music especially, working close to the original is one thing, but making a special touch to the different "productions", pieces, works is better.

But anyway, it's my way to think about mods. If the Beyond The Red Line team wants to put original soundtrack in the mod (if there's nobody who force them to remove the pieces at the release...), so i respect that. But i'm making music with inspiration and my style of composition, so trying to make something "like" BSG is what i can do. At the opposite, making a soundtrack / song exactly like the original doesn't really interest me.

I understand and i accept every critics, of course =) But, i'm making this for fun, actually i'm not working as a composer for the team... so i'll finish the song while thinking of everything that have been said, but if it doesn't fit for the mod... i would have at least tried ;)

(Another mod really needs that i focus on the workflow besides that ;) )