Author Topic: Max's BSG Soundtrack thread  (Read 19033 times)

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
Max's BSG Soundtrack thread
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2006, 03:06:35 PM »
Here is it, updated with the second part, i've got some post mastering to make for the volumes and some changes to make on the transition to the second part.

MDarkbladeM

• Omega 2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hard-light.net/hosted/babylon
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2006, 03:27:08 PM »
Wow, Dear Gods just got better and better. It was really nice to hear the Kobol cue and some amount of 'Worthy of Survival'. The Cylon theme is a bit unnecessary there in the middle but then again, that is only my opinion. :)

Overall a very good Galacticish music track. I can't wait to hear some more. Keep up the good work.
Mauri "Darkblade" Majanoja
Mission designer - The Babylon Project & Battlestar Galactica: Beyond the Red Line

Starbuck\'s Crew Lounge, the OffTopic-zone:[/b]
http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23960

PsychoticShroom

• Callsign: Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2006, 03:32:18 PM »
:eek2: whoa........AWESOME.......

OK enough jaw jacking,

I really like how the first part come out, as you said the transition needs work. My main gripe is about the second part is the percussion. It kinda sounded awkward starting around 1:10 to 1:22. Percussion sounded "unsteady" compared to rest of the piece there.

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2006, 03:51:26 PM »
Thanks guys :)

For the percs your talking about PsychoticShroom, i wanted to make a progressive percussion entry... it doesn't sound good ?

SebiAlex

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2006, 04:21:30 PM »
Awesome work. I only have one objection: there is a certain sound in the background from beginning to end. It sounds like an air funnel and because of that I thought it kinda occludes the sharpness of the whole thing. The sound can be clearly heard right at the beginning. It sounds good there, but in my opinion you should take it out when the other instruments come in, or at least tone it down. Great work!

skippy9146

• Need a Oil Change
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2006, 04:52:47 PM »
:nod: That's definitely starting to work...!:nod: Very powerful & "epic" sounding.

I could easily "see" that being played in the BTRL opening "splash screen"...:yes:

PsychoticShroom

• Callsign: Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2006, 06:38:08 PM »
Quote from: __MaX__;47816
Thanks guys :)

For the percs your talking about PsychoticShroom, i wanted to make a progressive percussion entry... it doesn't sound good ?

Don't get me wrong, it's great, I like the idea of having the percussion
 "grow" so to speak, but it just sounds weird at that part. However, I can't think of anything that would help, so keeping it that way would also work

yea, I nit pick alot :nervous:

Admiral Zaarin

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2006, 08:55:14 PM »
Quote from: __MaX__;47790
And here is with the new instruments Dear Gods v2

Yeah, baby! as Austin Powers say. Exactly what is needed. And if it matters, I say you have proven to be skillfull composer and fast learner what comes to wishes even that I didn't make any detail specific request. :yes:

Going to have little edit with this one to test it out in the field. ;)

skippy9146

• Need a Oil Change
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2006, 09:18:27 PM »
Actually, I'm so intrigued by this process that I'm going to have to demand that my brother turn me on to his entire music composing software collection...

Not that I'm going to turn out any masterpieces any time soon, but one has to start somewhere.:biggrin1:

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2006, 09:50:11 PM »
Zaarin, don't hesitate to ask me or explain me exactly what you want for the song... in editing the original source you'll lost some quality.

and Skippy, don't hesitate to contact me by mail, i can give you some help or hints :)

skippy9146

• Need a Oil Change
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2006, 09:56:12 PM »
Quote from: __MaX__;47842
and Skippy, don't hesitate to contact me by mail, i can give you some help or hints :)

Thx Max... I have get the software 1st though.

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2006, 10:01:24 PM »
While I don't agree with Zaarin it is 'exactly' what is needed, it's growing on me...keep it up.

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2006, 12:08:07 AM »
Keep it up... keep it up. I want to but giving me infos like "fast theme and slow paced theme" doesn't really help me to make what you want.

What is wrong ? The theme, the style, the sound, the duration, the instruments... what else ? As you can hear i can do approximately a real close sound to the bsg but giving more infos or details on what is needed would help me a lot.

With all respect i think i won't work on severals theme for hours if after the only result is "it's growing...". I fully respect that you want to have the best work in every part of the mod (model, sound, music, animation...), but you're not giving me enough "content" to make what you want.

And even if it's not about the mod content, you can tell me :

- "I'd like something like the first part of One year later from 0.35 to 0.45, and after that a fast theme like if there was an attack, i think you can do a song about 3.30mins."

Like Zaarin said, you never made a detailed specific request. And anyway, keep in mind that i can make as i said earlier, a sound really close to BSG... but, i won't be able to make the original sound, because i haven't my personal orchestra and because even if EWQL is a really amazing bank and software, some variations in the instruments would never be possible. And finally... i'm not Bear, i think i kinda easily deal with composition and music (after more than 15 years of learning it i can xD), but i'm not him, i won't create or compose music as he does, and i will never have the same "feeling" or "musical style" if you prefer.

I think that, if what you want is the original sound... i mean, the real original sound... i won't be usefull for the mod. Take the original soundtrack it will be better :)

Nothing_But_The_Rain

• Callsign: \"Wolfman\"
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2006, 12:33:48 AM »
In other words, if you're gonna pick nits, be specific! ;)

Great work on that latest piece, MaX. That song could've been on Galactica, for all I know.
The Gods shall lift those who lift each other.

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2006, 01:05:45 AM »
okay, less common strings...lets hear some of those ethnic strings, the duduk, and so on that Bear has SAID he uses regularly; I'm sure he's given you more specifics in your e-mails.

You know I've been a staunch supporter of the original soundtrack from the beginning, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.  Honestly, compared to the live orchestra, the synthesized stuff sounds very B-grade (read: the COMPOSITIONS are sounding quite professional, but the sound itself lacks the feeling that you get from live instruments)

The strings that are prominent in your recent piece lack this feeling...they lack vibratto and the organic, living feel.

As one that has listened to and continues to listen to the soundtracks several times a week as I'm writing, I'd have to say the biggest obstacle is overcoming the impersonal feel of synthesized instruments.  As I said, you are making progress, and you're right, after all the work you compositions may or may not be used...but as you yourself pointed out, I for one want as close to perfection as we can get for this project.  So please, do not take my critiques and reluctance personally.

My opinion is but one voice.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 01:16:20 AM by Dukeman42 »