Author Topic: Max's BSG Soundtrack thread  (Read 18852 times)

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
Max's BSG Soundtrack thread
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2006, 02:55:50 PM »
Quote from: crimson96;47220
"Roslin and Adama", as well as "Balthar's Dream" both are at the very least strongly influenced by the "Black Hawk Down" Soundtrack, and at the worst almost straight ripoffs.

The first time I noticed this was "Wander my Friends" which was VERY close to "Minstrel Boy" from BHD.  I wondered about this, until reading the Season 2 liner notes, where RDM apologizes to Bear and thanks him for putting up with all the times that he asked him to 'make it sound more like the temp track;' so, if you were to watch a BSG episode in the early stages, you likely would hear music from the BHD soundtrack, or the Bourne soundtrack, that they used as temp filler to demonstrate the feel they want for a scene.  So don't blame it on Bear; RDM has admitted it's his doing.

Admiral Zaarin

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2006, 08:08:32 PM »
Quote from: __MaX__;47229
Anyway, here is an intro for the ambiant theme is that what you want ? Dear Gods

Not bad at all, but what's that "sneeroiin"(or was it just the flu in my head?) sound? Bit short too, otherwise sounded fairly nice.

Throwed you couple bones in your mail.:pimp:

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2006, 08:36:03 PM »
still not feeling the brass, but still very good; you've definately proven your talent.

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2006, 08:47:18 PM »
Quote from: __MaX__;47229
Digital sound... that's the matter today, are we really talking about digital sound ? Yup, in the way "an analogic sound digitalised", but the instruments Zimmer use or me... are real sounds the only difference in the final result is the "real instrument player feel" ;)

Yeah, it's not a proper term, but you know what I meant. Of course those are real samples, but the human ear is very sensitive - we can instantly recognize when we hear the same sound over and over, instead of a live performance.

Nothing_But_The_Rain

• Callsign: \"Wolfman\"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2006, 10:31:02 PM »
Holy moses! I love this guy (MaX)!

Devs: Sign him up so he's working for you, THEN criticise him! ;)
The Gods shall lift those who lift each other.

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2006, 01:17:30 AM »
Umh... received Zaarin, but... it's not a remix, isn't it ? The wave curve is the same as the original song of the soundtrack. I thought when i ask you to send my sounds or songs, that you'll send me original songs from the composition team of BtRL ^^

What you mean by "sneeroiin" Zaarin ? The ambiant sound at the beginning ? And for the duration it was just a test intro to see if it was this kind of song you were looking for, i'll continue it tomorrow (or today at this today if i can say that :x)

For the brass Dukeman, what kind of brass you want ? Some like in "The Day Comes" ? Smoother with less staccs or attacks ?

skippy, beginning for free... won't be easy. Free software are clearly useless because :

- No soundbanks
- Poor perfs
- Bad renders (in term of audio quality)

There's some way to work with good sounds and good softwares... i think you'll be able to find them on your own. Or to begin you can try some software like Reason or Fruity loops... reason will be more diversified and fruity loops mainly based on electro sounds. It's clearly affordable, but not free.

And thanks Nothing_But_The_Rain =)

Roy, i think that for us, who listen clearly often to soundtracks, it's effectively different digitalised and natural sound... but the majority won't make the difference between real and fake orchestra... especially with the tools we can use today.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 01:24:25 AM by __MaX__ »

skippy9146

• Need a Oil Change
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2006, 01:35:31 AM »
Quote from: __MaX__;47285

There's some way to work with good sounds and good softwares... i think you'll be able to find them on your own. Or to begin you can try some software like Reason or Fruity loops... reason will be more diversified and fruity loops mainly based on electro sounds. It's clearly affordable, but not free.

Thanks for the reply - That's about what I figured on the freeware front. Actually, I believe that my bro has something similiar to Reason. I'll see if I get a copy to mess with.

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2006, 01:40:28 AM »

For the brass Dukeman, what kind of brass you want ? Some like in "The Day Comes" ? Smoother with less staccs or attacks ?

I'd actually like to hear something with NO brass.  mid-eastern and eastern woodwinds/pipes would be a better choice for a BSG track...we've heard those, and orchestral strings, and some old-world strings, but aside from the mini-series, brass instruments are rarely used (and I'm personally more a fan of Bear's work than Richard Gibbs').  Of course, we are hearing more choral parts, but that's harder for synthesizers to pull off without a cheap feel.

You definately have the right style for the drums, but everytime the brass comes in I'm transported to MechWarrior...and this last ambiant piece, I ended up in Independence War II;)

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2006, 09:20:41 AM »
Yup... but as i asked a few posts away... WHAT is mid-eastern eastern instruments. Doesn't mean anything for me... an instrument is a flute, a horn, a drumset... not a "mid-eastern" thing =)

I'm french, and this "expression" may be clear for you... not for me :P

And anyway, this is really subjectiv, don't you think ? There's maybe some person who likes brass and feels that they can fit in a bsg piece ? =)

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2006, 04:12:07 PM »
Subjective?  not if you listen to Bear's soundtracks from Season 1 and Season 2.  He rarely uses brass instruments, and that's a fact.  Beyond that, yes I am subjective when it comes to the sound I want for the campaign I've been working on for nearly two years now.

And as far as mid-eastern instruments, I'll ask Bear:)

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2006, 05:59:12 PM »
After some search... eastern means "instruments who comes from the east of the usa", this is typic from your langage, i should have know =)

So it means ethnic and european instruments... the only one i haven't for now. So it will be difficult to make something with this kind of instruments :/

skippy9146

• Need a Oil Change
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2006, 06:07:56 PM »
Quote from: __MaX__;47340
After some search... eastern means "instruments who comes from the east of the usa", this is typic from your langage, i should have know =)

So it means ethnic and european instruments... the only one i haven't for now. So it will be difficult to make something with this kind of instruments :/

In some of the other episode music, I could sworn that I've heard bagpipes & the ocassional scitar (sp.?) - an Indian stringed instument.

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2006, 06:10:18 PM »
Yeah, there is some european type instruments in there...but also Mid-eastern and far eastern (read: Asian) instruments...Indian and eastward, as skippy mentioned

Dusty

• Nugget
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2006, 06:57:56 PM »
I think he uses a lot of Japanese taiko drums in percussion, but that's all I can really add. Really impressed with your work so far Max, good stuff :yes:

Admiral Zaarin

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2006, 07:31:53 PM »
Umh... received Zaarin, but... it's not a remix, isn't it ?

Agh, my bad. Edited is the proper way to speak of them.

What you mean by "sneeroiin" Zaarin ? The ambiant sound at the beginning ?

Yeah, it sounded odd last time, but I re-listened it and it was just the flu, what I've been having whole week, acting up with my hearing.

You do great job, keep it up. I'll try to find dictionary with musical words since my english has need for them. ;)