Author Topic: Max's BSG Soundtrack thread  (Read 19041 times)

Admiral Zaarin

• View Profile
Max's BSG Soundtrack thread
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 10:04:03 PM »
Quote from: __MaX__;46842
Here is a try on a v2... i clearly changed the strings with staccs instead.

Much better, criticts said mostly above. With twenty or something listen throughs of Bear McCreary's Season 1 and 2 soundtracks and you should be up to the task. Keep it up.

Besides that, is there a anywhere compositions already done for the mod ?

On my HDD. ;) PM me your email and I can throw sample.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 11:06:34 PM »
I split this off from the main thread cause I thought it deserved a thread of its own :)

KypFisto

• Callsign: Gulo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 11:47:29 PM »
Quote from: __MaX__;46842

http://kaiderenphp.free.fr/son/beyondredline/Fight%20Theme%20-%20Asteroids%20-%20v2.mp3

Here is a try on a v2... i clearly changed the strings with staccs instead.

I definitely like it. For some reason it sounds more like Gibbs' work than Bear's to me.

__MaX__

• Taiko\'s XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 12:09:52 AM »
Quote from: karajorma;47015
I split this off from the main thread cause I thought it deserved a thread of its own :)

No probs :)

Anyway, somebody talked about a "smooth" song, what you mean about that ? Ambiant relaxed theme ?

Scotchy

• Polygon Factory
    • View Profile
    • http://snsdev.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 01:23:52 AM »
I really like where you're goign with this stuff. It's pretty high quality stuff for computer-made, not to mention the composition quality itself.

I really hope that everything works out and you can join the team.

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 02:48:00 AM »
Heh... "computer made". Most of the stuff people like, say, Hans Zimmer do these days is done 100% on a computer. I have a friend who is a composer and has done some small films... he's a film score freak, like me, and has shown me a lot of tricks and samples.

As for BSG music - I love McCreary's work, but I miss the elements Gibbs brought to the table for the miniseries. Don't shy away from that sound just yet, guys, and especially _Max_ - as much as Bear has managed to come up with powerful moments of his own, in my opinion, he is yet to match, for example, the poignant beauty and epic scope of Gibbs' The Storm and the Dead. I missed that a lot in the last two and some seasons. Whatever you do, I hope you manage to blend the two styles together somewhat for the final product.

sir monster

• Zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 02:55:30 AM »
i like the music from the show more than the mini series... the pacing is more intense and the score itself has a wide range of moods...

i only recall portions of the miniseries sound track but that in itself says something about it, imo... i remember scenes in the show and the music comes to mind right away, but for the mini series i remember the scene but no music.

KypFisto

• Callsign: Gulo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 03:01:57 AM »
I really need to get a hold of Gibbs' score from the miniseries. I love the openning credits music when Galactica is first revealed.

As for Hanz...I have both PotC soundtracks and I am almost entirely convinced the first one was synthesized. The second one seems recorded in an orchestra, but one can never be sure.

Scotchy

• Polygon Factory
    • View Profile
    • http://snsdev.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 03:10:12 AM »
Yes... but Hanz Zimmer is also a hack. So no referencing him as an example of 'good'.

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 04:31:22 AM »
Quote from: sir monster;47061
i like the music from the show more than the mini series... the pacing is more intense and the score itself has a wide range of moods...

i only recall portions of the miniseries sound track but that in itself says something about it, imo... i remember scenes in the show and the music comes to mind right away, but for the mini series i remember the scene but no music.

I think it's a matter of personal preference more than anything else. I could say the same thing you said, only reversed. But that's just me.

Scotchy, I know he's a hack, and by no means was he mentioned as "good". I'm just sayin' people are getting payed big bucks for big blockbuster scores using a full orchestra and more, but not a real one - just very good samples on a powerful computer.

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 04:57:21 AM »
Could you explain the 'hack' thing? The Gladiator soundtrack is one of my favorites, I've always thought of him as an excellent composer.

Is this just a difference in tastes, or am I missing some important tidbit of info?

timbo1138

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 07:40:10 AM »
Just for the record, Zimmer only did the second PotC soundtrack. The first was by Klaus Bedelt. I really like it, but my understanding is that it was thrown together extremely fast after the original composer left the film, so it's very likely it is synthesised.
"There must be some way outta here,
Said the joker to the thief.
There\'s too much confusion,
I can\'t get no relief..."

All of this has happened before...

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2006, 08:42:45 AM »
I'm still annoyed that they haven't released the track they used for when Galactica jumped in in "Scattered".

BSG's soundtrack is an interesting case of overspecialization. Particularly Season Two, but it also goes for the Miniseries, the soundtrack is so integral to the show that it doesn't stand well on its own. The only tracks off the Season 2 CD that stands on their own as excellent are Martial Law and One Year Later. Some of the other tracks have parts that can stand on their own, but not in their entirety. (I don't count the Colonial Anthem...it's really not Mr. McCreary's. :p)

EDIT: Back to the original subject...

Requim reminds me very much of Wing Commander for some reason. Might want to show it to the WC Saga guys over at HLP.
Lilth...was this done under the influence of the FS1 opening? I swear it was.

And I disagree completely that the entry for BtRL music is not BSG-like enough. So there. :p The brass is muted, not that noticible, and in any case I'm almost positive we've heard something very similar at least once. McCreary likes to do something Eastern/African for the main theme of the piece, but he's gone more traditional for the background before.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 08:52:00 AM by ngtm1r »
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

-Oz-

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2006, 09:34:11 AM »
nice work,max.
[SIGPIC]http://home.arcor.de/ihsanyorulmaz/bsgbanner.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2006, 11:02:22 AM »
Quote from: WMCoolmon;47078
Could you explain the 'hack' thing? The Gladiator soundtrack is one of my favorites, I've always thought of him as an excellent composer.

Is this just a difference in tastes, or am I missing some important tidbit of info?

He is not really a true composer... from what I know, he has a whole team of young composers who are very good at conveying his ideas into actual music, while he sits back and takes most of the credit, kind of like how the painters in previous centuries only did the important bits of a painting (like the central characters - in this case, the themes) while they had a group of young artists who specialized in buildings and animals and such... add a state of the art digital production facility, and you get someone capable of churning out various scores in shortest ammounts of time, when needed.

Again - from what I know.