Author Topic: No chance of playing online ?  (Read 6700 times)

Brandolph

• View Profile
No chance of playing online ?
« on: November 06, 2006, 05:50:23 PM »
Hi @ all,

had a connection to the gameserver running successfully yesterday. During the gameplay I got an errormessage according to some grafics which obviously could not be loaded correctly and made the game crash. After trying to reconnect to the server I was not able to establish a new connection anymore. There was an errormessage inside the game saying "connection failed to fs2netd".

Has the gameserver gone down somehow or has the crashed game made it impossible to connect to the gameserver?

Lemme know :-)

regards

Brandolph
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 06:12:57 PM by Brandolph »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 06:43:15 PM »
Looks like FS2NetD is down.

FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.165thbdhr.com
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 07:24:54 PM »
I can see 5 people playing on there right now so either it's not down or back up.   Real question is why are they always playing when I can't and no one on when I can.
FUBAR

Master Drunk of the 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers

FF-Darkhalf

• View Profile
    • http://www.ffighters.com
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 07:27:03 PM »
Working again ;)

Don't worry Fub, they are all using different builds anyway me thinks, can't see their games here :(

Real question is why can't everyone just stick to the most recent build ? :P
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 07:34:28 PM by FF-Darkhalf »

Brandolph

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 07:56:38 PM »
Hi @ all

could connect again but somehow there are no servers to join..  

I checked the fs2open_pxo.cfg already and changed the IP-Adress to the servername myself.  It worked like that before..   But now both ways no servers are shown anymore..

anything I can do about it ?

Brandolph

miles32

• Grand Admiral miles32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 11:42:41 PM »
because that would require actual work.
For them to download the files and put them in the directory.

Or they just dont know

FF-Darkhalf

• View Profile
    • http://www.ffighters.com
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 01:13:15 PM »
wish there would be a way FS2NetD forces ppl to use recent builds otherwise it wouldn't let em connect :blah:

taylor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://icculus.org/~taylor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 02:52:00 PM »
Quote from: FF-Darkhalf;46942
wish there would be a way FS2NetD forces ppl to use recent builds otherwise it wouldn't let em connect :blah:

The FS2NetD protocol has been rewritten, so very soon now it will force everyone to upgrade if they want to continue playing.  It's not going to do version checks or anything (maybe karajorma or myself can add that functionality to 3.7), but if you aren't using a new enough build then you won't be able to connect.

Both the old and new protocol servers will be running together for a while, so it's not an "upgrade or die" situation, but the old protocol will be phased out over a few months.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 10:54:46 PM »
I'm very interested in the idea of making FS2_Open do version checks on both data and the executable.

I'd like to have both the executables identify which version they are as well as also have the mission warning other players with lower version numbers to update.

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 12:18:37 AM »
Quote from: karajorma;47010
I'm very interested in the idea of making FS2_Open do version checks on both data and the executable.

I'd like to have both the executables identify which version they are as well as also have the mission warning other players with lower version numbers to update.

I have always wanted this too. At the very least, it would be nice for the client to notify the user that his files arent up to date and that he will have problems.

Is there any way for the server to tell the client that his ports arent forwarded properly? Seems like that feature would be nice too.

taylor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://icculus.org/~taylor
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 04:18:53 AM »
Quote from: MatthewPapa;47025
Is there any way for the server to tell the client that his ports arent forwarded properly? Seems like that feature would be nice too.

I've been toying with the idea of the FS2NetD server doing a trace to the proper game port on the client side and if a connection/response doesn't pan out, to notify the user via a popup (via the already established FS2NetD connection) that there is a problem.  Of course, this all assumes that the user setup the port properly to connect to FS2NetD in the first place (which if they didn't do with the new code, it will boot them back to the mainhall anyway).

The big problem with the idea is that it will only check the standard port, and if they aren't then it's either a useless message, or we have to force use of only the standard port and that idea sucks too.

And even bigger problem is that, though this would be a perfect thing to get into the new FS2NetD code, I'm so behind on it right now that it's time to cut my losses and get it tested.  It's either as feature complete as it is going to get, or it doesn't get into 3.6.9.  And that assumes that there aren't too many bugs in the new code since if there are, regardless of how needed the new code might be, it just isn't going to make it.  3.6.9 ships at the end of this month, no more excuses, and there is still a lot of other things to do before then.