Author Topic: FAQ + How to get started using FS2NetD  (Read 422970 times)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
FAQ + How to get started using FS2NetD
« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2007, 07:12:07 AM »
Then either you have a rogue table or you didn't install FS2_Open correctly.

Do a search of your main FS2 folder and the Data folder (and subfolders) for *.vp, *.tbl and *.tbm.

You shouldn't find any of the latter two and you shouldn't find any VPs that aren't on this list (You may find them in folders like Freespace2\FSPort or Freespace2\Derelictbut the game won't look there if you're running with no mods).

*  root_fs2.vp
    * sparky_fs2.vp
    * sparky_hi_fs2.vp
    * stu_fs2.vp
    * tango1_fs2.vp
    * tango2_fs2.vp
    * tango3_fs2.vp
    * smarty_fs2.vp
    * warble_fs2.vp

GS059

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 19, 2007, 02:42:48 PM »
just did the search, and I only have those 9 .vp's

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 19, 2007, 02:49:17 PM »
Run the debug build and post the FS2_Open.log that appears in your Freespace2\Data folder.

While you're at it post tvalid.cfg too.

GS059

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 19, 2007, 03:51:17 PM »
here they are
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 04:15:01 PM by GS059 »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 19, 2007, 04:41:08 PM »
Now that's odd. Why is is saying that the standard tables are not on the server rather than saying they are valid or invalid?

Hmmmm. It appears to be doing that for me too so it's not something you're doing wrong.

GS059

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 19, 2007, 04:55:24 PM »
Quote from: karajorma;75351
Now that's odd. Why is is saying that the standard tables are not on the server rather than saying they are valid or invalid?

Hmmmm. It appears to be doing that for me too so it's not something you're doing wrong.

you have a great way of saying good and bad news at the same time...

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 19, 2007, 04:57:11 PM »
Well the news isn't that bad. If the game won't play without the hacked tables message there's no good reason not to turn on the media VPs and play the prettier version of the game for now. :)

GS059

• View Profile
media vp's
« Reply #292 on: June 19, 2007, 05:06:34 PM »
so what do you mean by turn the media vp's on exactly...?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 19, 2007, 05:42:24 PM »
Select Mod > Mediavps

Tellaris

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 23, 2007, 06:45:44 AM »
Hmm...   Well, I tried joining a game, but all I got was request timeing out.   I assume due to version conflict (I'm pretty sure I'm up to date, its still 3.6.9?)
Mmm...   Did the port forwarding too on the front of this post.

Biggest question I have though
I keep seeing references to a magical, mystical IRC channel!   Yet, for the life of me can I NOT find the information to join it, despite numerous searches of the forums!   There should be a sticky post for it or something.
What Server?
What Channel?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 23, 2007, 07:38:53 AM »
What like this one?

Chat it up on IRC in #btrl!

It's mostly used by people playing the BSG mod so whether you can use it to set up FS2 games is another matter. The HLP IRC channel is reportedly good for getting games of FS2 up and running.

Strange that you got a request time out though. If you have 3.6.9 you  shouldn't be seeing anyone who would give you a version conflict.

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 23, 2007, 05:43:51 PM »
#hard-light on esper.net for fs2.

GS059

• View Profile
mediavp's
« Reply #297 on: June 24, 2007, 06:02:02 AM »
I just tried playing online again, and with the media vp's, it will allow me to connect without saying anything about hacked tables....

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 14, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »
Updated the thread so that it works better with launcher 5.5d (or whatever we call the next version).

Here's the old version.

Quote from: MatthewPapa;3046
How to get Freespace 2 Multiplayer working

By: MatthewPapa

NOTE: These instructions assume that you have a fresh freespace 2 install. If you have any previous modifications or campaigns installed there is a good chance that this tutorial may not work properly for you.

1. Firstly go register a multiplayer account here. Be sure to write down/remember your multiplayer account information!!

2. Download a recent SCP build here, unzip it and stick it in your root freespace2 directory (most commonly C:\games\freespace 2\ ). Each zip file usually comes with 2-4 different files. For this first setup, we will be using the one that does not have "debug" in the title. Example: fs2_open_3_6_9.exe .

Just FYI the debug builds are most commonly used to troubleshoot crashes and bugs. We will not need them for our purposes as a beginner, but later on you should use them to help report bugs to the coders.

3. Download the new multiplayer configuration file here. Put this file in the data directory of your freespace 2 installation. An example where the folder would be C:\games\freespace 2\data\ If you play using the media VPs you should also add a copy to Freespace2\mediavps\Data\
 NOTE : Do NOT download this file if you're trying to play BtRL online. You already have the correct config file.

4. Download the new FSO launcher here. You will now use this launcher in place of the old Freespace 2 one. Place it in the Freespace 2 root directory. open it up and click browse at the top. Browse to the same build (.exe) that you extracted to the Freespace 2 directory earlier Click open once you have highlighted it. You may adjust all the other settings in the launcher to your preference, but be sure and leave networking ON. Click apply when done.

5. If you are behind a router or firewall you will need to forward port 7808 both UDP and TCP to your computer. It is critical that you do this or other people WILL NOT be able to join or even see your games! They may show up on the site, but people WILL NOT be able to see or join them in the game. Consult your router/firewall documentation for more info on forwarding ports. It will probably look something like this:

IF THIS IS NOT DONE PROPERLY, IT MAY SERIOUSLY DIMINISH YOUR FS2NETD EXPERIENCE!!

6. Open up Freespace 2 via the launcher by clicking run. Tab over to multiplayer on the choose pilot screen and create a new pilot. It is preferrable that the pilot that you create be the same name as your account name that you created earlier (avoids some confusion for new people.)

7. Go to Freespace 2 preferences now and then go to the sub-tab "multi preferences." Select PXO and then type in your multiplayer username and password (the one you registered earlier.)

You can safely leave the "squadron" field blank.

8. Pilot, you are now qualified to fly FS2NetD! Good luck. Click on the main door to host or join your first multiplayer game!

Extra files that you might need later when you get better:

If you are getting the message "you have hacked tables" it is because you aren't using the 3.6.9 official media VPs. At time of writing these aren't actually out yet so the only choice is to run with only FS2 data (no media VPs) or simply put up with the message until the release.

Valid multiplayer missions (ones that cound on your score) File1. File2. Voices (optional)

EDIT: Modified to comply with the GWBB fs2netD server. Old version of thread is in the attached text file.

EDIT : Clarified why the hacked tables message appears - Karajorma

kebabspace

• View Profile
heey,,what is   isp? i cant play multiplayer becuz i dont have isp somethin..plz help