Author Topic: Episode 303 !!Warning Spoillers!!  (Read 3403 times)

skippy9146

• Need a Oil Change
    • View Profile
Episode 303 !!Warning Spoillers!!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2006, 01:43:42 PM »
I suppose a case could be made for differering grades of Centurion. For a remote posting, they may be forced to "live off the land" & be manufactured with a exterior from locally available materials - a "BC" (Beer Can) model. Instead of trying to deal with the logistics of shipping in premium casing materials from "Cylon Central"....

The inferior "locals" could just be the Cylon version of Cannon Fodder. There is a precedence for this. In TOS, there was an "elite" or "officer" version that appeared that was more of a bronze color, as opposed to the "standard" chrome Toaster.

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2006, 02:30:22 PM »
I seem to recall some mention of armoured Centurions... I dunno if it was DRM or something, but if I remember correctly (which is completely uncertain), the ones that boarded Galactica were far better protected than the usual models.

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2006, 05:10:57 PM »
Who thinks it's possible that Pegasus will ram one of the base stars (anyone remember 1978's BSG?) to save Galactica during the rescue?

Oh, and I agree with the whole Cally escape scene editing; that gnawed at me a little bit, and I agree it seemed the first part of the episode felt like it was filmed by Second crew or something

Akula

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2006, 06:23:13 PM »
A better case would be a differant set of writers working on the Exodus Episode at the same time as set of writers was working on the Occupation/Precipe Episode, with only an over all arcing story line, and not any of the fine details about how Cally survived.

Another possability is that this was a last minute decision - there is some evidence of this in other parts of the show - Cally was never really supposed to be a major character, maybe they're still ad-libbing her into the show. For that matter, neither was Tyrol, and he's one of my favorite characters now.
[/URL]

Nothing_But_The_Rain

• Callsign: \"Wolfman\"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2006, 07:37:38 PM »
Quote from: Akula;43428
Case in point, when Sharon is sent to New Caprica to organize the rescue attempt, it's explicitly stated that they needed an "Officer" to be the contact person. It certainly stands to reason, then, that there were no "Officer" marines floating around (I don't remember ever seeing any) which would mean that when Starbuck ends up in a Sharpshooter situation, she's there as the Officer in charge, which makes perfect sense.

Well, the reason for the lack of Marine officers could be quite simple. The US Marine Corps is still, despite all their pretenses to the contrary, a department of the Navy (though they are largely autonomous in their training and throughout most of their command structure). In the BSG universe, the separation could be even smaller, with trained enlisted marines and non-commissioned officers (like the Gunny and Master-At-Arms Sgt. Hadrian) commanded by regular fleet officers. We've certainly never seen any marine officers, though that's not to say they don't exist.
The Gods shall lift those who lift each other.

skippy9146

• Need a Oil Change
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2006, 07:44:40 PM »
Probably the bulk of the Marine Force on Galactica had already shipped out before the start of the war - Don't need a lot of security in a museum.

Nothing_But_The_Rain

• Callsign: \"Wolfman\"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2006, 08:19:15 PM »
I was including Pegasus' compliment of marines as well. I don't believe that Peggy's crew had been dissmissed yet, even though Peg was about to undergo a three-month overhaul. Also, it seems most likely the 800 crew that died in the attack on the Scorpion (sp?) shipyard would have been pilots, snipes, and damage controlmen.
The Gods shall lift those who lift each other.

Akula

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2006, 07:20:03 AM »
As far as I know, military ships don't usually carry Marine Officers on board. There's always a small detatchment aboard to handle security (and usually more if there are nuclear weapons embarked - it's a widely known fact that only US Marines guard ships/vehicles/bases equipped with Nuclear Weapons) but usually they do not include an officer. Just a Sargent.
[/URL]

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2006, 09:06:56 AM »
It depends on the size of the detachment. A battlestar's crew size and relative marine complement aren't very clear, but from what's available to us from the series it seems likely Galactica alone has a something like a reinforced platoon aboard. A unit of that size rates an officer to command it. (Of course it's possible their officer was killed in the nuke hit or at Ragnar.)

Given the variety of weaponry they have handy, if I had to guess either Galactica was designed to carry a reinforced company or larger, or Pegasus was. (Infantry company plus heavy weapons elements at the least; RPGs and automatic grenade launchers [seen on Kobol] may be organic to a platoon but mortars are attached at the company level, and shoulder-fired SAMs are battalion weapons.)

However there were positive reasons for sending in Boomer to liase that we're forgetting here. A marine officer couldn't pass for a loyal Cylon, after all. (And it's nice to see that she listens to the pros on ground ops.)
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)