Author Topic: My Colonial Origins Theory  (Read 2601 times)

The Trivial Psychic

• New Build Snoop Junkie
    • View Profile
My Colonial Origins Theory
« on: September 30, 2006, 03:30:16 AM »
Forgive me if what I'm about to propose is already obvious to everyone else, but I haven't seen anyone post about this, so I'm gonna go out on a limb.

In BSG:TOS, the story was that all humans originated on Kobol, and then migrated to Earth and the 12 Colonies when Kobol's star became unstable, threatening the climate of the planet.  In TNS however, there seems to be evidence that something different happened.  Mainly in the Tomb of Athena holographic room, it was shown to Adama & Co. that the constellations as seen from Earth, matched up to similar stellar arrangements on the colonial flags.  This suggests that the inhabitants of Kobol had knowledge of Earth prior to the 13th trible departing for Earth.

My theory, is that all humans originated in fact on Earth, corroborated by fossil evidence of human evolution here.  Possibly to avoid an ecological disaster, a group of technoligically advanced humans (possibly from Atlantis, as a lame example) achieved some form of long-range, sustainable space-flight.  Either using generation starships or perhaps using some form of suspended animation, they journeyed into the stars and eventually reached Kobol, where they settled and flourished.  Following the events that led to Humans leaving Kobol, one of the tribes chose to return to Earth.

An interesting side-thought to this, would be the possiblity that the returning 13th tribe, never made it to Earth, hence no sudden influx of advanced technology from the returning humans.  Either they all died for one reason or another, or perhaps they settled on another habitable world.  The later could be either because of a navigational error, and they ended up settling on the wrong world, or perhaps they had some engine problems and managed to put down and settle there instead.  This could lead to a parallel of TOS' series of episodes dealing with Terra, which the Fleet again mistakes for Earth, but not everything adds up so they have to move on.   Another interesting twist on this could be arriving at said non-Earth planet where the 13th settled, only to discover that the Cylons hit it already, perhaps before the other 12 colonies.  The fleet would then find out about their true origins on Earth, as described in my theory, and chose to continue on to Earth, now knowing its true significance.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Ridicules?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 03:39:36 AM »
I figure it all takes place in a snow globe and the mind of an autistic kid
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 06:42:37 AM »
It's a pretty tough question.

I can't see BSG doing the "Aliens took people from earth", it's very Stargate. Plus, for the moment, I think we can count any kind of advanced alien life out.

On the other hand, I feel like the origin of the colonies is VERY closely related to the outcome of the series. (Especially since everybody goes around quoting "All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.")

So here's my first guess of the thread:

Years in the future, Earth developed spacefaring technology and began to colonize star systems. As it spread, the settlers developed great interest in classical literature and art. They developed superstitions, as a way of coping with all the unknowns of spacetravel. They began to develop their own culture.

Gradually, these colonies, now something of a culture to themselves, grew in number. They finally reached twelve.

Eventually, the colonists grew discontent. They were still ruled over by earth - a planet that shared little of their culture. Relations soured, and war broke out between the colonies and earth. It ended in a pyrrhic victory for earth - the colonies were exiled, and chose to leave and find their own place in the stars. They settled on Caprica, etc. Kobol was established as a point for the colonies to keep contact with earth.

The colonists re-established their old colonies on the new planets. Against all odds, they succeeded in irking out themselves a place to live. Soon, the colonists began to feel that they did not need earth any more. Disputes again arose between earth and the colonies.

By this time, earth had grown complacent. With the failure of its first reaches into space, it had scaled back its space program. Its vessels and methods were primitive compared to those of the colonists.

So one day, the Colonies decided to kill the people of earth, and wipe out all vestiges of their former power over them. They razed Kobol, massacreing the remaining earth-affiliated humans on the planet. They eliminated the mention of earth from their records. They eliminated practically all overt signs of any association, any existence in the planet, in their records and history. Perhaps they even committed genocide, completely destroying the earth and its inhabitants. For the colonies, the only place that it truly survived was in their religion and superstition, the very core of the their culture.

On the other hand, that's pretty obvious and direct. I wouldn't expect it to be so clear-cut and predictable.

Gilmour

• Red Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 12:15:44 PM »
I'm inclined to agree to a certain extent...but I think that recycling of evacuation, settling and colonisation theory is the way to go.. Like Earth > Kobol, Kobol > Colonies, Colonies > Earth.

Draco429

• \"Eclipse\" Draco
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 07:38:11 PM »
Oh, come on. You KNOW you'd love to see a Viper come from Roswell and meet Apollo or Starbuck or even Admiral Adama, albeit 40 years older.
せいれんとかえります。できます。いたします。
Return with Honor. I can. I will.
-Eclipse

Gilmour

• Red Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 09:20:16 PM »
Quote from: Draco429;41859
Oh, come on. You KNOW you'd love to see a Viper come from Roswell and meet Apollo or Starbuck or even Admiral Adama, albeit 40 years older.

NO roswell explanation Episodes!

timbo1138

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 11:29:21 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, it's all very mystical, and pretty simple. Mankind leaves Kobol. Founds the colonies, including Earth. Cylons destroy the colonies, survivors flee to Earth. Earth becomes Kobol, the cycle repeats. All of this has happened before, all of it will happen again. It's a cycle, repeating through time again and again and again. TOS and TNS are in the same universe, the same continuity, but the original series happened thousands of years before, or thousands of years after the new one, and they are not the only times the story has or will play out.

As for the star paterns, I imagine they're probably different each time the cycle replays. I honestly don't particularly like the idea that there's only 1 Earth, and only 1 Kobol. In my mind, they're different each time.
"There must be some way outta here,
Said the joker to the thief.
There\'s too much confusion,
I can\'t get no relief..."

All of this has happened before...

ZildjianO0

• Capt. Earthworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 03:13:34 AM »
a lot of these are great suppositions.  I always liked the the idea that the whole "this has happened before" concept was just a way to kind of nod to the old show.  Unfortunately, the writers seem to have strayed away from elaborating on that idea in canon during the end of the 2nd season.  I'd like to see more dialogue about how Adama was coping with the fact that they've seen proof of an Earth of some kind out there (when he never believed before) and was just sitting around over New Caprica for a year.  By the time we got to "Home" it was like they'd built all of this momentum up to where they were headed and now they have a plan.  Then it felt like they just stopped in their tracks and hung out with the Pegasus.  I understand the story is about characters and their personal drama, but there's also a bigger picture going involving their whole civilization.  We've seen that they have something to be hopeful about but now its as if they're running in the other direction from Earth.  As far as the Colonial religion goes, we don't have any representatives of that besides Brother Caville who's a Cylon.  Is there even a way to  explore the history of the colonials' travels without a Cylon always speaking in riddles now?  Unless Roslin starts dipping into the Camalla again ... :pimp:
Of course we'll get tons of answers this season, i guess we'll all just have to wait.  Sorry for babbling!

Mike_A36

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 04:44:58 AM »
I always took it that we (that is the people of earth) are the decendents of the 13th Tribe. Only from the line of TOS intro " There are those that believe, life here, began out there."
The 13 Tribes left Kobol, They all went their separate ways. The Twelve Colony's lost touch with the 13th etc.
But hey what do I know.

Snagger

• View Profile
    • http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 12:13:48 PM »
Quote from: Mike_A36;41890
I always took it that we (that is the people of earth) are the decendents of the 13th Tribe. Only from the line of TOS intro " There are those that believe, life here, began out there."
The 13 Tribes left Kobol, They all went their separate ways. The Twelve Colony's lost touch with the 13th etc.
But hey what do I know.
That's certainly the TOS concept - all 13 tribes starting out on Kobol, but the 13th being a bit of a wierd and eccentric bunch, heading off away from the rest when Kobol was abandonned.  It plays with Earth cultures, like the Greeks, Egyptians and South American cultures having roots in the colonies.

TNS has many differences from TOS, and the cultural elements have been much reduced.  Pretty much all that remains are the Greek gods.  Earth is still the 13th colony, but we don't know quite how it fits in.

I think Timbo's post is spot on.
something I do understand;)  : http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk

FireHawk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 04:20:18 PM »
Not posted in a while, it's nice to see the forums back....

Anyway, I like Timbo's idea, it's simple yet still dramatic, not cliched at all and fits well with the whole endless circle theme. I do hope they write a good ending though, one that fits with the show's background and mythology/legends.

slslookout

• My Triger Finger Slipped
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 06:01:19 PM »
i think there entire universe is an antom in my finger nail.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Its too late when you see the flash
Captain Jack "Lookout" Dyps
Black Steel Squadron Leader
58th Air Group

Gilmour

• Red Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 07:21:45 PM »
Hmm...russian doll theorum.

Well asides from that, maybe the this has all happened before was a nod to the show, but they do have the prophecy deely going on, so why not.

However, I was intrigued when I realised that the line "live on here started out there" (...or however it's done, I'm sure some pedantic person will correct it..I'm sure I would) wasn't included. That leaves it more open to speculation, which I like.

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 07:24:29 PM »
Quote from: slslookout;41935
i think there entire universe is an antom in my finger nail.

MIB got to that one first.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 09:32:03 PM »
The force of history can change things, events, memories...

"We're going to planet X." - That's nice we know that it exists and what it is called.. HOW? That means someone has been there before.

Unless of course the 13th tribe just said, "Frak it all. There's a star on the other end of the Galaxy/Universe. We call it SOL, I'm sure threre's got to be a habital planet there we can colonize there, let's call it Earth. C'ya bye now!" Colony then departs Kobol...

Sorry but that is exactly how it is implied by the NEW BSG... (except they don't name the star SOL, just it's planet Earth).

WTF? What if the 13th Colony arrives at their suppoosed coordinates they chose and nothing is there or no habital planets and they died in route?

The BEST explination is due to act of plot, a group of Humans from Earth are transported to KOBOL... The live there and prosper for X amount of time till they are driven from KOBOL for some reason (Cast out is the implication in their scrolls about "paradise lost"?)

Personally, unless RDM actually writes an ending where they find Earth (and who says it will be OUR Earth?), I doubt any of those issues will ever be confronted because the series will terminate before then.

Star Buck wakes up from a delusion and was hooked up to the baby machine the whole time, 75% of her memories were just a dream. Her mind's way of coping with this horrible experience...

In time the Colonials are finished...
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty: