Author Topic: rc7 multibugs  (Read 5296 times)

Nuke

• Slacker
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/nukemod-cos/
rc7 multibugs
« on: September 28, 2006, 02:13:01 PM »
i noticed a couple bugs while i was playing multi tonight. i wasnt expecting them but they happened. one was a player selected and weps configured. but aparently his ship was swapped with an ai ship, resulting in him getting the wrong ship, not the one he configured. i think it just a version incompatability.

anyway i wasnt expecting to find any bugs and i figured now that im playing netgames perhaps i can get you guys some debug info.

i have a few questions though:

is it safe to use debug builds with regular builds?

also when a bug occures, what should we do, quit playing and gather up fslogs and errorlogs or whatever, or continue playing and see if they persist?

can i set up a standalone server in a debug build?

also this seems a sensible place for bug reports, for players who dont frequent mantis or hlp.
Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of the human mind

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 03:41:32 PM »
Quote from: Nuke;41640
i noticed a couple bugs while i was playing multi tonight. i wasnt expecting them but they happened. one was a player selected and weps configured. but aparently his ship was swapped with an ai ship, resulting in him getting the wrong ship, not the one he configured. i think it just a version incompatability.

Hmmm. I have noticed in BSG that when I host an 8 player co-op game I end up in Alpha wing and the 3 other players end up in Beta wing. Now as far as I know no one has ever reported this causing problems but then again we all play using the builds I've supplied so we never have the chance for incompatability to cause a problem like that.

Can you tell me which builds the two of you were using and who hosted the mission?

anyway i wasnt expecting to find any bugs and i figured now that im playing netgames perhaps i can get you guys some debug info.

I would be exceedingly grateful of that. Up till now the only time I see debug info is if I gather it myself.

is it safe to use debug builds with regular builds?

I intend to fix it so that it is. There are currently two bugs I'm looking at that could cause you problems. The first one crashes the host with an assertion when a player quits the game. I've only seen this when the game is still forming but I'm planning to fix it. It shouldn't cause a huge problem really since you can just restart and the mission itself wasn't running.

The second though is that based on the original mantis report the bug that causes the respawn menu to reappear after being clicked on will also cause an assertion. I've had absolutely no luck recreating the bug in debug mode though but if this one occurs it will crash out the computer running the mission in the middle of a game.

I've decided to make this one top priority on my list though.

also when a bug occures, what should we do, quit playing and gather up fslogs and errorlogs or whatever, or continue playing and see if they persist?

Most of the bugs will probably prevent you from continuing. If they don't, feel free to keep going but bear in mind that any further errors may be the direct result of the first one you saw and therefore shouldn't be reported as seperate bugs.

can i set up a standalone server in a debug build?

I'd be fairly surprised if it worked. I'm pretty sure that there is another bug out there that Taylor hasn't squashed yet. Again I'll look into it over the weekend.

also this seems a sensible place for bug reports, for players who dont frequent mantis or hlp.

It's better than nothing but Mantis is the best. I fix mantis bugs quicker than any others too.

Nuke

• Slacker
    • View Profile
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 03:48:05 PM »
i was hosting it on 3.6.9 rc7. i havent a clue what the other guy was using, he updated of course and the problem went away. so i didnt bother to ask what he was running.

anything in particular you guys want me to look out for? any problem areas i should pay special attention to?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 04:09:37 PM »
Nothing much comes to mind. Just play a lot of :v: missions as well as the newer 3rd party ones. :v: occassionally did things differently and there were a couple of bugs I found which only affect :v: missions and the BtRL missions I built based on them.

frost

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • http://lightsabertemple.blogspot.com
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 08:34:28 PM »
hmm, i have also had the switching-ship problem too.

i believe we all ran 3.6.9 RC3 at the time. i selected a perseus and wound up in an ai's ulysses. the weird thing was that i couldn't control it either--it was like i was spectating. i suddenly exploded over and over again until i suddenly wound up in my perseus. pretty strange.

Shotman

• *oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo*
    • View Profile
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 07:53:20 PM »
Why always when I try to connect to any fs2netd game it takes me to Start new game screen? Is it a bug?
I use 369rc7
"It\'s better to burn out than to fade away..."  Kurt Cobain, Nirvana

Nuke

• Slacker
    • View Profile
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 12:42:24 AM »
no thats a dedicated server. if theres not already a game running it sets you as the host and lets you tweak the host options. to find out if somones playing just go to fsnet stats page and click on active games, look for a game with at least one player. or you can host your own game and wait patiently for 2 hours, i seldom have to wait longer than that to get a game going.if youre hosting a game id advice using rc7, as ive had good luck with it and it should be what everyones running right now.

taylor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://icculus.org/~taylor
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 01:20:39 AM »
The newest build with all of the multi fixes is this one.

Just be aware that games with it, require it.  Older builds won't show up to this build and games hosted with this build won't show up to older builds.  This is because we actually went back to retail version compatibility though (just didn't notice that it was still using the wrong version number).  All future builds will also use the retail version number, in preparation for the re-introduction of PXO, and we wanted to go ahead and make this change with 3.6.9 (since 3.7 is already going to be a HUGE deal with regards to major changes).

Nuke

• Slacker
    • View Profile
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 07:16:41 AM »
im gonna start using this on my hosted games. maybe we can generate some usefull feedback for you.

*edit*
played one mission, so far it seems rock solid :D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 08:20:51 AM by Nuke »

taylor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 09:22:09 AM »
The standalone server should work better with that build (both release and debug) too, so if see any bugs with it then let me know.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 11:43:02 AM »
Are there any standalone fixes in that build that aren't in CVS yet?

taylor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 12:11:43 PM »
Quote from: karajorma;41921
Are there any standalone fixes in that build that aren't in CVS yet?

Yes.  They should hit later today though.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 02:38:46 PM »
Okay. I'll wait till then to do some serious bug testing on the standalone. No sense in me spending time investigating and tracing bugs you might have already fixed :)

Well I suppose it's good practice but I should be working on BtRL instead :)

Draco429

• \"Eclipse\" Draco
    • View Profile
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 06:50:37 PM »
YES YOU SHOULD! :p

So the build above is what we should be using for multi now?
せいれんとかえります。できます。いたします。
Return with Honor. I can. I will.
-Eclipse

taylor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
rc7 multibugs
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 07:12:42 PM »
Quote from: Draco429;41939
So the build above is what we should be using for multi now?

Yep.  That will help us figure out most of the remaining multi bugs.  You can still use on of the existing RC builds if you want, but the chances are pretty good that any bug you find has already been fixed.  The more people that use the build I linked to the better since it's not compatible with any older builds and you won't see games from them (and they won't see this build).

I'm still working on a bunch of FS2NetD specific changes (a rewrite basically), but what we really need now is just to get the rest of the basic multiplayer bugs worked out for the next full RC build.