Author Topic: Trouble with fs2netd verification email  (Read 3880 times)

Martellato

• View Profile
Trouble with fs2netd verification email
« on: September 08, 2006, 09:11:14 PM »
Ok, I've seen several posts about people missing verification emails because of them bouncing as spam.  I just registed on fs2netd and my email went to Spam folder on my Gmail account...

I've found a number of issues that could be causing the problem.  However, it may be that the GW staff is already aware and can't do much about it, because of $$$.
  • The mail server does not have a static ip address.

The validation emails come from apache@freespaceserver.cjb.net which is [66.25.7.198].  Many mail services distrust dynamic ip blocks, because spammers love to use a temporary i.p.s to connect, blast mail, get blocked, and reconnect.
  • The mail server's reverse DNS is wrong.  Some mail services will distrust if a message is from the alleged sender if the reverse dns of the i.p. [66.25.7.198] comes up with something different than the sender's alleged domain (in this case the rDNS comes up with cpe-66-25-7-198.houston.res.rr.com)
  • The i.p. address is listed on some prominent blacklists.  Here are the 2 I would focus on.
[/LIST]

If cost is the issue, and getting a mail server with a dynamic ip is a difficulty, then maybe mail could be routed to another FS2 web site with a static i.p. for the mail.  We could then publish a SPF record and make sure that the mail that is sent out is SPF-friendly.

..Whatdya say? Sound like fun? Yay!!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 09:15:52 PM by Martellato »

Martellato

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 01:45:25 PM »
Found another issue...
freespaceserver.cjb.net does not have an MX record.  This will actually affect the bounce rate too, even though it's only required in order for freespaceserver.cjb.net to receive mail.  Many mail services do not accept mail from servers that do not have MX records; the reason being that they suspect that spammers are the only ones who are interested in sending mail without having the capacity to receive it.

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 03:07:54 PM »
we are going to move to this server (which has a static IP) very soon.

We are still in the process of setting up the DNS, which is why our domain name is not currently working.

Thanks for that bit of sleuthing though, we really appreciate it. Mayb you can give us a hand if we have some problems once we get this new server up.

Martellato

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 10:41:44 PM »
Awesome, that's great news!

I spend much of my time at my work trying to a.) block spam and b.) make sure that our outgoing mail delivers reliably, so I'm very used to troubleshooting this sort of thing... I'd be happy to help!

FOX2PRO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 02:30:35 AM »
Same thing for me...Didn't get an email to regular folder...

Martellato

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 03:40:32 AM »
I think I answered that question for ya here..
http://64.92.160.250/forum/showthread.php?p=40917&posted=1#post40917