Author Topic: Server Software  (Read 6560 times)

Golden Gun

• Shoot first, ask later...
    • View Profile
Server Software
« on: May 30, 2006, 06:02:23 AM »
Is the software to run a FS2 server freely available?  Is it easy to setup?  I have NO clue about this stuff but was just wondering...

Golden Gun:pimp:

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/
Server Software
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 01:50:23 PM »
yes its freely available but its very difficult to set up (hence its constant failures), bug prone and a resource hog.

Golden Gun

• View Profile
Server Software
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »
Quote from: MatthewPapa
yes its freely available but its very difficult to set up (hence its constant failures), bug prone and a resource hog.

They I bow to your Amazing ability, self sacrifice and patience...:yes:

Golden Gun

• View Profile
Server Software
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 07:39:13 AM »
Quote from: MatthewPapa

Hmm.... been looking around for it but can't find anyone with the prog.  Ppl. TALK about it, but it's no where when I look.  any clues?

Blue Thunder

• Im Pilot Of The US on HLP
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/hyrulecastleau/Home.html
Server Software
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 07:21:10 AM »
FS2 comes with a 'Stand Alone Server' program. Is that what you use, coz I've tried using it and it keeps telling me that it can't find a TCP/IP connection. Ive tried setting everything in FS2 to my settings but it keeps giving me that error and shutting down.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Server Software
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 08:59:05 AM »
The tracker (FS2NetD) and a standalone server are completely different things.

The standalone is basically the same as if you choose to host a game but not play. Everyone else can connect and play (so can you if you have a second PC) but the server itself does nothing other than running the game.

Unfortunately no one has been taking much care of the standalone code so as a result it's likely to be badly broken. Fixing it is on the list of stuff we have planned for after 3.6.9. In fact between Kazan and myself we fancy a rather major overhaul of the net code.

There are lots of things it does that could be much better written and lots of new features that could be added. The problem is that any overhaul would break compatability with current clients meaning that you couldn't play with someone using 3.6.9 or anything earlier. Seeing as how the pilot file changes in 3.7 will do that anyway most likely it's not a huge loss though.