Author Topic: The Gate-Room (SG1 & General chat)  (Read 8716 times)

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
The Gate-Room (SG1 & General chat)
« on: July 13, 2006, 01:01:39 PM »
Here's a guiding thread for people wishing to discuss and debate the Movie or the two Syndicated Television series (StarGate SG1 & StarGate Atlantis). General chat or mod chat also welcome, but whenever possible try to make it relavent to this section of the board.

Flygirl started this off: "ok so there has been a disturbing lack of activity on this board for a long time; and i wanna get the discussion going here, so heres my feeble attempt at a convo starter...

i personally think that the show isn't the same since jack left, but i still like it. it retains many of its old qualities, and i personally love the Ori story arc and all its possibilities. thoughts?"
                                                                __________________
            Hallowed are SG-1

I agree that the departure of RDA (Jack Oniell) has seriously impacted SG1. It is fortunate that the addition of Ben Browder (Mitchell) & Claudi Black (Vala), both from Farscape, has balanced that out somewhat.  Sorta like how Corin Nemek (SP?) - Jonas Quinn, was there to fill the gap of Daniel jackson.

Sure they aren't the same and are by no means replacements, but they work extreamly well together and thus I still find enjoyment from the show.

The Ori are the filler of "biggest bad-ass" since the Goa'uld got galactically nutered. At least for the SG-1 Galaxy. For Pegasus it's the Wraith. Hands down the Ori still win in my book.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 07:22:18 PM by Star Dragon »
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

Kyra

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 10:49:35 PM »
good idea starting this new thread. is there a way to delete the other one so it dosent clutter stuff up?

and yeah, the interplay between browder, shanks, and balck is the most entertaining aspect of the show now, in my opinion.

now dont get me wrong with this next thing; the gouauld were bad, and great villans. but the Ori pretty much have them beat. with season ten starting in just a few hours, i think were about to see much more proof of this...
"Oh, bother," murmerd Pooh as he chambered another round.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 11:27:56 PM »
Hmmmmm. Are you guys going to keep this topic spoiler free or not? Cause I usually take a day or two to catch up with the latest US episodes.

Judging from the number of times I've seen "Hallowed are the Ori" posted on topics I'd say that most people like the Ori more :)

Kyra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 01:39:22 AM »
we could put up spolier tags for things that happen within a few days, sure.
i dunno about you guys, but i think im gonna be here when i see the SG1 premere tonight.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 04:31:38 AM »
I guess we can TRY to curb our enthusiasm. Let's just say the premire episodes were kick ass. Woudl it be fair if we wait one week (meaning make comments one episode behind?) So we wait till next Fri to talk about the premire in detail?

I seriously hope Omniscaper takes up my PM request about that Deadelus model we got our hands on recently... I wanna see it go balls-to-the-wall agaisnt some hive ships.
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Kyra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 05:24:23 AM »
we could make this thread one week delayed, and make another for those of us who are up to date. that way, we can talk about it all we want while not spoiling it for the others.

Falcon

• Furious Viking
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 08:00:57 AM »
I would love to see Wraith vs. Ori.

Or Replicators vs. Ori would be awesome as well.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 04:38:30 PM »
I want to see those invisible insectoid guys again. The Reetoo or something IIRC.

I'm sure they took a ton of render time but I liked having a completely non-human race in the show :)

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 04:41:39 PM »
Invisible inscets? I missed that one.  

Anyway, Wraith vs Ori is no brainer (Ori curb stomp them)

Now Replicators vs Wraith, that's a tiny bit more balanced...

Wanderer

• Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 06:18:57 PM »
Wraith beated (sort of) the ancients so they might have chances against the Ori too

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 07:00:34 PM »
Quote from: From GateWorld.net's Races section

RE'TU
A non-humanoid race that exists 180 degrees out of phase from normal space-time, and are thus completely invisible. The species are insectoid in appearance, resembling spiders with large eyes on the sides of their head, and spiny green arms and legs, permitting them to move quickly. They have multiple legs, and adults are approximately two and a half meters tall.

When the Goa'uld discovered the peaceful Re'tu, they nearly wiped them out because they saw them as a potential threat. The governing body of those that have survived sent an envoy to Earth in the form of a human boy, capable of communicating with both his Re'tu "mother" and humans. The boy, who named himself "Charlie," was sent to warn Earth about a threat from a Re'tu rebel faction.

The rebels are a gathering of hundreds, perhaps thousands or more Re'tu who believe the Goa'uld threat lies in their ability to take human hosts. Their goal is the extermination of all humans, in order to defeat the Goa'uld by attrition. They operate in 5-man suicide units, which infiltrate a target area (or planet) and do as much damage as they can before setting off an explosion equivalent to a small tactical nuke. Though they remain at war with the Goa'uld, the governing body of the Re'tu do not condone this course of action.

The Re'tu possess advanced, plasma-based energy weapons fitted onto one arm. The weapon is capable of firing a powerful blast of energy, which becomes visible once it is fired at a target. Since Re'tu exist 180 degrees out of normal phase, conventional weapons can only "slow them down," if even that. Their only vulnerability lies in the T.E.R., or transphase eradication rod, several of which the Tok'ra have stolen from the Goa'uld and shared with Earth.

The Re'tu rebels have only taken their plan to Earth once, but are still a force who could level entire cities if just a handful made it through the detection grid.

HOMEWORLD - Retalia
FIRST APPEARED - Show and Tell

Like I said I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them again. :)

Kyra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 04:59:52 AM »
Quote from: Wanderer
Wraith beated (sort of) the ancients so they might have chances against the Ori too

but not because of smarts or technology, just sheer numbers. even the most advanced tech can be toppled by endless waves of space vampires. technologically, the wriath are one of the weakest races seen in either stargate show so far. therefore, i imagine the ori would win, seeing as how they have a force sufficint to take and hold the milky way, which is alot bigger than the pegasus galaxy.
also not to mention that the wriath are still at the same level that they were at when they fought the ancients, but the ori are probably way beyond where the ancients were back then, since they are as old as the ancients but still remained involved in the material world after ascending.

i have to cast my vote for the furlings; we hear about them from time to time, but see absolutely nothing about them. and despite what jack thinks, i have a feeling that they are less cute and fuzzy and more blow your ass off type people...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 05:05:31 AM by Kyra »

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 10:25:05 AM »
Well, the ancients were kinda bas asses, but way too passive/arrogant about their ability to protect themselves.  Sheer nunbers overwhelmed the great defenses/ships they had. Hand to hand they get sucked.

This wasn't about the Ancients anyway but the ORI...

The Ori would smackdown an ancient like any other Human.

However if you mean an Ascended Ancient (equal to the Ori) that's diff. we don't really know. Orlan was limited as he kept only ancient knowledge, not ascended powers (just enough to mess with the prior) but he was no OMA.

I wish ONE Ascended Ancient would get off their ass and do what Daniel tried to do when he blasted at Anubis, but Oma Shielded Anubis.

Hello, my name is Merlin, DIE!!!! (opens can of Ascended whoopass). The Ori are clearly cheatign and now are the immediate threat that can no longer be ignored by the great silent Ascended majority...

Maybe those villagers that recently ascended thanks to Sheppard or that Ancient that loves him will get a friggen clue and DO something! (distance is no factor in their realm I am sure, and news travels fast...)

Kyra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 09:38:25 PM »
what about skarra and kasuf and the whole population of Abydos? theyre ascended now, right? why dont they swoop in and save the galaxy? lord knows theyve been saved enough and its high time for them to give back a little!

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 10:06:18 PM »
The Prime Directive or some similar BS...

Incidently is it better to turn my siggy OFF when posting a large number of replies in a thread, or does it not really affect bandwith? Last thing I want to do is spam GW with a sig I can turn on manually on occasion.