Author Topic: DEMO Folder updates  (Read 4341 times)

Omniscaper

• Project Leader Insano
    • View Profile
DEMO Folder updates
« on: July 11, 2006, 12:40:09 AM »
Demo Folder is up.

game-warden.com/bsg/dev/B_S_G/D_e_m_o

[size=+1]Requires:[/size]

sparky_fs2.vp
sparky-hi_fs2.vp (for stock interface filler)

Models as of 7/10/06
ViperMk2 (updated.. uses one map now)
ViperMk7 (v.2.0 minus cockpit)
Scar Asteroid
Asteroid field backdrop layers
Asteroid Field Skybox

(awaiting Raider eye textures and Scar textures)

Tables are a modified UT's latest demo tables (to be built upon)

Interface uses LT's finished screens.

Effects will require pruning (awaiting requested list from other thread)

Missions include only one Scar Asteroid arena. (I request its conversion to a multiplayer debugging and testing mission)

This Demo folder has been tested and debugged with RC4 and has only one error on my side (an intentional missing texture)

TURN OFF 3d radar (creates an error reguarding "vecmat... bla bla bla")

[size=+1]ALL FS2 STOCK ARTWORK ARE TO REMAIN IN THE VP's. Only OUR files will be in the data folders.[/size]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 12:54:18 AM by Omniscaper »

Lt. Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tuomaskankola.com
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 08:47:00 AM »
Added starfield.pof and starfield0001.dds to the demo folder. They are needed for at least the tutorial mission.

Lt. Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
    • View Profile
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 06:31:27 PM »
Went through the whole credits.tbl and updated it. Added, removed, rearranged stuff and generally made it a bit cleaner. I hope I have not forgotten anyone, but if I have, please let me know and I make the needed changes asap.

Lt. Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
    • View Profile
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 06:51:38 PM »
On a roll here... got rid of the red nebula set and all the planets except for one. Made appropriate changes to stars.tbl.

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 08:39:44 PM »
Omni, is that Mk VII model final demo release? I need to do thrusters for it.
Also, I haven't found any reference data for Raider thrusters. Do they even have any?
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 12:38:24 AM »
UPDATE

- Removed data/players/single contents
- Removed data/players/multi contents
- Removed devil.dll, errorlog.txt, fs.log, ilu.dll, ilut.dll, root_fs2.vp, server.txt, SmartShaderErrorLog.txt, and stu_fs2.vp as none of these are necessary. Why people assume you need dummy VPs for fs2_open to work is beyond me...the rest are either obsolete or errorlogs.
- Updated Launcher.ini so it won't give an error on start.
- Removed *.sfk from data/sounds, intermediate files should not be stored in the main FTP tree.
- Removed everything in multidata, since this folder is by definition temp storage for downloaded multiplayer content.
- Cleared cache folder, as it included some non-demo model data. This should be populated only once we're 100% sure of the models being used in the demo.

Incidentally, what's the purpose of fl051207-wep.tbm?

Also, what's data/music/bloodshed.ogg for? It's not listed in music.tbl

The default pilot/squadron images are also the only ones in there...one or two BSG ones of each would be nice, for the demo.

Anal pass done, for now. :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:49:28 AM by WMCoolmon »

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 12:53:48 AM »
Small problem now, apparently the file "MainScreen-M" isn't anywhere in the file structure. It shouldn't have been in root_fs2.vp, unless somebody popped a modified version onto the FTP. Is the demo going to be 1024x768 only?

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 01:05:48 AM »
UPDATE

- Updated data/ships.tbl to use hud-mk7.ani for Mk7, instead of hud-viper.ani

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 01:19:00 AM »
Has the 3D radar glitch been fixed?
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

cobywan

• View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~cobywan/mypage.html
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 02:05:50 AM »
Every time I try to run the game I keep getting errors that point to the systemt hat the build was done on.  I think that's what's happening.

Lt. Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
    • View Profile
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 04:02:07 AM »
Quote from: WMCoolmon

The default pilot/squadron images are also the only ones in there...one or two BSG ones of each would be nice, for the demo.

We'll get to that eventually, there's already one squadron logo done by ink.

Small problem now, apparently the file "MainScreen-M" isn't anywhere in the file structure. It shouldn't have been in root_fs2.vp, unless somebody popped a modified version onto the FTP. Is the demo going to be 1024x768 only?

Original MainScreen-M.pcx is at sparky_f2.vp. Atm our interface is 1024 only, but once that version is done we'll look into if it's possible to do 640 version with little fuss. I've got a nasty suspicion that it is not gonna work with just simple resize images, so we may have to drop 640 for the demo. If the game needs those files, we can create simple dummies.

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 07:23:31 AM »
Quote from: Lt. Cannonfodder
Original MainScreen-M.pcx is at sparky_f2.vp.

Nope, in retail freespace 2 the file is called "mainhall1-m".

And yeah, the demo only really needs one of each (pilot image and logo). Something more BSG style than the stuff already there.

640x480 can't be dropped, and there's still quite a few retail FS2 files that the demo depends on (interface, HUD, sounds, fonts, force feedback, weapon models, weapon maps, debris, engine effects, etc). I've removed a couple of dependencies in the code, debris and shield hit anims, but that's only in my local codebase for now.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 07:28:12 AM by WMCoolmon »

Lt. Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
    • View Profile
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 07:38:59 AM »
Nope, in retail freespace 2 the file is called "mainhall1-m".

Ah, ok. I've been working from the TBP base that was named MainScreen, and have never bothered to change that.

640x480 can't be dropped, and there's still quite a few retail FS2 files that the demo depends on (interface, HUD, sounds, fonts, force feedback, weapon models, weapon maps, debris, engine effects, etc). I've removed a couple of dependencies in the code, debris and shield hit anims, but that's only in my local codebase for now.

We're trying to replace as much as possible, but due to the huge amount of work we can't do everything at once. Right now the goal (at least for me) is to get the interface done and then move onto other things.

And about 640... can we not just put dummy files into the game and tell everyone not to use the lowest res? Really, inteface is an immense task as it is and I'm not too keen on redoing big parts of it just for the 5% of users who for some reason want to use resolution that really has no place in modern gaming.

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 08:08:34 AM »
To repost some stuff from IM:

I should clarify, I was speaking from more of a design perspective when I said "Can't". What I meant was that some people may still want/need to use it if they have an older system. I think, technically, it is possible to remove - but it's never really been tried, so people will probably get errors, and complain on the forums, etc.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
DEMO Folder updates
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 12:06:44 PM »
Why people assume you need dummy VPs for fs2_open to work is beyond me.

You used to need them for FS2. IIRC the need for dummy VPs was only removed a year or two ago and I don't think many people have experimented since then.

Cleared cache folder, as it included some non-demo model data. This should be populated only once we're 100% sure of the models being used in the demo.

While I agree in principle the IBX for Scar's asteroid needs to go back in immediately as it takes the game over 5 minutes to generate it.