Author Topic: Viper Mark V er IV er somthin  (Read 18267 times)

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
Viper Mark V er IV er somthin
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2006, 02:28:58 PM »
Quote from: Defender_16
Jerhaps they just dont have the inclination to mount expensive and rare ftl drives on run-of-the-mill fighters.  It's not like they need yet one more thing on the vipers to fix and maintain.

...or lose in combat. It's like $15 million F-16s compared to $51 million Hawkeyes, only the sophisticated equipment in a Raptor is irreplaceable and even more valuable.

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
Warning Student Driver! & Colonial Tactical Bomber
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2006, 03:43:28 PM »
Well I did it as a goof but i might as well post it. Introducing the Colonial Milk Snake training bird. 2 Seater "boat" I was gunning for the Tweet Trainer used by the US Military. I figured the CN isn't about to put pre Nuggets into mulit million cubit MK VIIs right out of the get go. It has a single KEW mounted under the nose and a lazer painter for mock dogfights and a pair of hardpoints of missiles:
[ATTACH]2488[/ATTACH]
Preliminary Colonial Tactical Bomber draft, code named Python, 2 seater, 4 KEWs, two centerline rotary bomb bays possibly possibly make them modular and could be replaced by a single Medium Rail Gun, and a 4 external hardpoints on the underside of the nose. My only issue is if she is "Colonial" enough. I will await team approval before i take her any farther.
[ATTACH]2489[/ATTACH]
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2006, 07:11:08 PM »
Quote from: StarSlayer
Preliminary Colonial Tactical Bomber draft, code named Python, 2 seater, 4 KEWs, two centerline rotary bomb bays possibly possibly make them modular and could be replaced by a single Medium Rail Gun, and a 4 external hardpoints on the underside of the nose. My only issue is if she is "Colonial" enough. I will await team approval before i take her any farther.
[ATTACH]2489[/ATTACH]

It's too wide for my taste... it's Colonial enough, but I think the visibility is seriously damaged by the wide front section. Could you possibly change the angle downward, so it kinda slopes down from the cockpit? it would create more space for the center bay/rail gun and improve the overall shape of the spacecraft. I don't know about external missiles in BSG in general, though. The Vipers etc. take a lot of beating in combat conditions, and I believe exposed missiles would present an additional hazard. Even the Raiders have internal launch bays.

EDIT: I hope you don't mind, I tried something with the sketch... I don't think the vertical stabilizers would have much impact at the current position... but maybe I'm thinking about this too much.:)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 07:27:41 PM by Roy Fokker »

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2006, 07:15:20 PM »
Raider have internal rotary launchers MK IIs at least have a pair of hardpoints on the belly don't think there is pace enough for a missile bay (in the show at least).
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2006, 07:28:53 PM »
Quote from: StarSlayer
Raider have internal rotary launchers MK IIs at least have a pair of hardpoints on the belly don't think there is pace enough for a missile bay (in the show at least).

I agree, but they don't really use missiles either. Your bomber design could make it work.

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2006, 09:28:59 PM »
I'm kinda iffy about a Colonial gun-bomber, because, well, consider the size of a Basestar. You're just not going to be able to mount a KEW large enough to have significant effect on a Basestar.
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

northtwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2006, 09:51:33 PM »
Actually, that Python sketch resembles the fighter from Star Blazers/Space Cruiser Yamato a bit, with that front section. I like it.
I could do 10 years of this easily. I think this is some of the finest usages of television I\'ve ever been a part of in my life bar none. I\'ve been doing this for 42 years. I\'ve done some really good work on television and in motion pictures, but there\'s nothing like this show. I can honestly tell you that. By far, one of the finest dramatic pieces of work on humanity I\'ve ever seen in my life."
          --Edward James Olmos

I think {BSG is} so passionate, textured, complex, subversive and challenging that it dwarfs everything on TV.
           -- Joss Whedon

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2006, 01:08:55 AM »
Well i have her pictured as being designed with the multi role mission that the Colonials seem to favor in mind.  I think it would be cool to equip it with a modular centerline oridinance set up.  That her weapons load out could be drastically modified to meet any type of strike mission.  Options i have in mind, subject to dev wants/FS2 capabilities are:
1)  Two bay rotary missle/ bomb launcher
2)  Maybe a big rotary KEW similar to the A10s
3)  Cluster munition dispenser similar to seen in Tornados

Since i doubt it could even be modified to fit down a launch shoot it maybe be FTL capable or at the least it would be elevated upto the flight deck and deploy from there.

Just a few thoughts she maybe scrapped in favor of somthing else.
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Niallirl

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2006, 01:22:21 PM »
Wow you guys are great at concept,they all look cool i like the makr V or IV the most though looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp ugly but a beast.

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2006, 07:56:48 PM »
Okay, I did a bit more watching yesterday of my DVDs in an effort to get a feel for relative sizes of the ships and so possibly the effectiveness of a Colonial B-25H/Mosquito Mk XVIII.

Such a ship could under absolutely no circumstances use the launch tubes. This is quite simply basic. The ribbing along the Flight Pods includes both the launch tubes and the AAA batteries. There are two launch tubes per indentation between ribs (Ref. The Miniseries and "33"), but only a single AAA turret...one of Galactica's AAA turrets is therefore at least the size of a Viper, probably closer to one and a half Vipers. It mounts two guns of indeterminate calibur, but fairly large. Call it 8-inch (203mm for you European types).

Now, unless a Basestar is significantly smaller then a Battlestar (possible based on relative apparent lengths of Pegasus and the Basestar in several places where they were in the same shot in "Ressurection Ship Pt.2"...but doesn't seem that likely) or is made of tinfoil, one of Galactica's AAA guns isn't going to be of great enough calibur to significantly damage it on its own. This means you need lots of them. Lots of them the Colonial Navy can't afford, since they need Vipers for aerospace defense and hanger space is kind of limited.

So the gun needs to be bigger then that. At least one and a half times bigger. A 12" (or 305mm) gun. And something to mount that. Now we're rapidly getting into the area of small starships, not fighters...
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

Coota0

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2006, 08:16:09 PM »
Quote from: ngtm1r
I'm kinda iffy about a Colonial gun-bomber, because, well, consider the size of a Basestar. You're just not going to be able to mount a KEW large enough to have significant effect on a Basestar.

I agree, Missile/Torpedo/Bomb, with only defensive KEWs is the way to go.

cobywan

• View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~cobywan/mypage.html
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2006, 08:24:48 PM »
For a more clear look at the Galactica in plans use my PDF drawing.  You can zoom in pretty close.

http://home.comcast.net/~cobywan/Images/Whats_new/Galactica2003.pdf

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2006, 12:14:36 AM »
Quote from: cobywan
For a more clear look at the Galactica in plans use my PDF drawing.  You can zoom in pretty close.

http://home.comcast.net/~cobywan/Images/Whats_new/Galactica2003.pdf

How'd you manage to make it 3,6MB?! I saved it in Acrobat with size reduction options for web viewing, and I got 600kb, without loss of quality, since it's all vector drawn. Of course, a couple of megs is nothing, but there are still folks with dialup out there.:p