Author Topic: Recording Protocol and File Name Conventions  (Read 184 times)

strike911

• Mobile Suit Pilot
    • View Profile
Recording Protocol and File Name Conventions
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:34:41 PM »
THE SCRIPT
Individual scripts will be release in Excel format (XLS) per mission. Again, each mission will have its own script and be released in Excel format (XLS). We're using a spreadsheet format so that you can easily identify your line number. All scripts in XLS format are final and will not be changed unless its something very important. This is what you will be using to record your lines. Please make sure you read through your character's lines carefully, and make sure that you don't miss any of your lines when recording, since sometimes its easy to skip over a few if your skimming through it.

FILE TYPES
Your files can be recorded in any format, preferrably a moderately high quality WAV file, but whatever format you use is fine as long as its a common one; OGG is great filetype to use as we'll definitely be converting everything to OGG later, but again, if you don't know how to encode to it, then don't worry about it; we can mass convert them later when everything is done. Please use judgement when choosing your filetype, don't make them so high quality that their size is huge. Use something of similar quality to this:

WAV FILE
44.100 Khz, 16 BIT, Stereo

I'm assuming most people know how to make a simple recording and change the quality, but if you do require assistance feel free to contact me as I am glad to help whenever I can. Again, if you want to use MP3's thats fine, but everything will converted to OGG in the end.

NAMING YOUR FILES
EX.
01-slip-001.wav

This example is for mission one, line 1, for Slippy.

EX2.
03-wolf-093.wav

This example is for Wolf O'Donnel, mission 3, line 93.

EX3.
12-fox-237.mp3

This example is for Fox McCloud, Mission 12, Line number 237.

So the file name should be written in this format:
MISSION NUMBER (##), CHARACTER NAME (SLIP, FOX, PEPPY, FALCO, AC, ROB, ETC.), then LINE NUMBER (###).

Whatever you use for the character name, make it short, clear, and keep it similar to what you used first. For example, don't make a file that says 01-FOX-001.wav and then another one that says 01-MCCLOUD-002.wav. Keep things organized by keeping the same name. In the above case, preferrably you would use the name FOX since its easy to tell who it is.

Make sure that all files are done in this form. Its imperative that the line number is correct and that you include the extra zeros in front of the number! Its being done this way for organizational purposes. To determine the line number, open the XLS file in Excel; the row number in the spreadsheet is the line number.  Its pretty easy to figure that stuff out. Make sure you write this information out as your record so you'll avoid having to type a zillion numbers out once you're done.

MAKE SURE YOU NAME YOUR FILES CORRECTLY! I'll go back and do a quick double check in all cases, but realistically I can't go back and rename every single file for you, so please get in the habit of just writing down the name, line number and mission number as you record, in the format listed above.

Everyone will be subject to direction by others. If the group offers you criticism, be thankful, because they're trying to help you sound more like the character you are portraying. That said, ALL criticism should be constructive, so lets not rag on people if they make a single mistake. Don't be angry if you have to re-record a line or two when you submit recordings; inevitably it will happen to everyone a couple of times. If you have any questions about the emotion being conveyed by your character you can always contact me (Strike911) or AqueousShadow. We can point you in the right direction if you need a little push. In fact, just post any questions like that directly in this forum, so that everyone can offer their input. Don't be afraid to PM though.

OTHER STUFF
Make sure your recordings are spoken clearly and that you sound in character! Don't hold back! You're an actor now! Ensure that you don't breathe into the microphone, and be careful when raising your voice too high; we want to avoid getting clipping (you know, unpleasant popping or clicks). Try and keep a consistant volume for the entire recording. For example, don't record ten lines close to the microphone and 10 lines away from the microphone, as it will change how loud you are. Try to keep things as similar as possible in all recording sessions, because we need to keep things consistant to ensure we're getting a good recording. We'll be going back through these and equalizing the volume the best we can, but make it easy on us by making sure your recording is the best it can be. Also, when you upload your files try to keep your files zipped together or in an easily accessibly folder. A Zip File is preferred though.

Lastly, to anyone that recorded anything before April 13, 2006. This would be aimed primarily at DZComposer and AS; don't worry about renaming the files I'll do it for you this time since I didn't have this protocol stuff up for you guys.

I realize most of this is common sense, but I wanted to make sure everyone atleast had the opportunity to see it in writing. If you have any questions address them here. Alright, then good luck and have fun!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 03:23:07 AM by strike911 »

AqueousShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 11:27:20 PM »
Hey Strike, I was just wondering, would it be best if the line number be put at the beginning for each of the recordings? I think that the way it is organized (at least if they are organized by name), that if the line numbers are all in order, it is a lot easier to access, edit, put in any of the voice files, especially if they're all finished and need to be put in order for the mission. I think that it helps Axem the most, but is much less difficult than first looking for the character and then the line number.

This is all great. Very organized :yes:

strike911

• Mobile Suit Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 03:00:47 AM »
That's what I thought too at first, but I talked to Axem a couple days ago specifically about it, and he wants the character name first; since really all the naming of the files is for the resident Fredder. Everything really is up to him. Originally I had it set as Mission number, then line number, then character description, but he specifically requested having the character name first.

AqueousShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 03:08:20 AM »
Oh, well then I guess that's quite alright then.

Axem

• MRRFR MRRF!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sectorgame.com/axem/
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 03:10:24 AM »
I think I said I wanted it to be Mission-Character-Line. Well even if I didn't, that's what I'd like. ;) That way the Missions are grouped together, and the Characters are grouped together.

And AS, are we going to be using Acts/Chapters/Parts, or one long stream of missions? If we will be using those, then I think those should be infront of everything.

AqueousShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 03:22:58 AM »
Well, I don't know if you'd call them "Acts/Chapters/Parts." As far as organizational purposes goes, I ended up using that "campaign" thing to categorize the missions in the list in the Story Thread.

Whether we're actually using that convention is a different story. What do you think? Go ahead and refer to the story thread if you need to.

strike911

• Mobile Suit Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 03:24:02 AM »
I've gone ahead and made revisions to what I typed.
Mission number (##), Character Name (FOX), then Line Number (###)

McBrad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 01:18:45 AM »
EDIT -

I'm an idiot.  Found the WAV setting.  Fixed and fixed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 01:47:55 PM by McBrad »

McBrad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 01:31:20 AM »
I did some experimenting with KHZ

At 64KHZ, I barely hear much drop in quality from higher settings, at 80KHZ, there is none.

Increase in file size between 44.1 and 64 is at max 8kb... I realize this could add up fast however.

Upon more listening, the drop in quality isn't so bad, but let me know what you think when you listen to the audition.

DZComposer

• Nom Nom Nom. Om, Nom.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.classicalhorn.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 06:20:47 AM »
Uh, how can you do MP3s but not WAVs?

An MP3 is a crappily compressed WAV.

mysql> SELECT * FROM rabid_krystal_fans WHERE yiff = \'no\';
Empty set (0.00 sec)

http://www.corneriasound.com

AqueousShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 07:04:41 AM »
Good question.

McBrad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 01:40:59 PM »
Alright.  After further delving into my recording program, I found the WAV setting (it is hidden... crazy thing)  Never really used WAVs since I'm mostly a musician and everything has to be in MP3 format for internet.

Alright, I will update my tryout with the WAV format of all the files.

EDIT:

(Audition is fixed)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 01:47:06 PM by McBrad »